gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:11:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rarities  (Read 6426 times)
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2015, 06:39:08 PM »

1983 was a long time ago.  Have the songs from this collection been released elsewhere since? 

Also, the wikipedia page for the album lists three medleys as CD bonus tracks which begs a few more more questions: Was the album issued on CD at the time of its initial release or did that come later?  What's the deal with the medleys?  Were they live recordings or studio edits?  If the latter, were they created specifically for this release or did they predate it?

Thanks!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:53:09 PM »

The medleys were edits of studio versions.  They are pretty much inessential.  One was a medley of rockers, one of ballads, and one was a shorter version of the rock medley which was a hit single for a time, so much so that they made several awkward TV appearances in the 80s, lipsynching to themselves from decades before (if you have any desire to see such "performances", a YouTube search for "Beach Boys medley" shall give it to you, but I warn you, it ain't pretty).  The CD version of Rarities was only released in Japan.

As for the availabilty of the other tracks, this should be of interest to you. http://bradelliott.com/writings/rarities/availability.html

And the live version of "All I Want to Do" was on the Made in California box set.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:57:53 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:05:35 PM »

Thanks!

Also, I've seen the mimed performances of the hit medley.  Worse than miming to their younger selves is 80's Brian, miming to 60's Carl!  Wow.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 07:05:43 PM »

Don't know when the CD came out, but I don't think the CD ever came out in the states...my copy, btw, is a Japanese import.

Some of the songs had been released elsewhere before and since, others not. Here's the track list and what's going on with each:

With a Little Help from My Friends -- far as I know, unreleased before and never heard from since

The Letter - later rereleased on the Made In California box set

I Was Made to Love Her - only release of this version

You're Welcome - released before as the B-side of "Heroes And Villains" and has appeared numerous times since, including a bonus track on the 1990 Smiley Smile / Wild Honey twofer and The Smile Sessions

The Lord's Prayer -- B-side of "Little Saint Nick" and has seen numerous reissues, including most (if not all) CD-based Christmas album variations

Bluebirds over the Mountain -- this mix is unique to Rarities. The story is that the Dutch single version was mixed incorrectly. It was sent over to the folks in the Netherlands with instructions on how to balance the two channels: one was to be louder than the other. One channel was the basic rhythm track plus vocals, the other track was extra percussion and acoustic guitar overdubs. When they mastered the track, they got the directions backwards and mixed the basic track quiet and the overdub track loud. The version that's on Rarities is the two tracks separated in stereo.

Celebrate the News - the Wikipedia entry calls this an "alternate version," but it's the same version that's appeared several times on CD since. B-side of "Break Away."

Good Vibrations [alternate version] -- I think this has been released on every single archival Beach Boys release since 1990.

Land Ahoy -- released as a bonus track on the 1990 twofer of Surfin' Safari / Surfin' USA, but without the count-in present on the Rarities album. From what I'm told, the count-in did appear on the 2001 reissue of the same twofer CD.

In My Room [German version] -- released as a bonus track on the 1990 twofer Surfer Girl / Shut Down Vol. 2

Cottonfields -- single version, also appeared on the UK pressing of Sunflower. Later appeared on the Good Vibrations box set and in stereo on Hawthorne, California and Made In California

All I Want to Do [live] - appears on Made In California but edited together with a different performance from the same tour because the tape literally ran out during the performance included on Rarities.

Auld Lang Syne - appeared on numerous CD incarnations of the Christmas album

Far as I know, the medleys never appeared on CD since.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 07:14:28 PM »

Thanks so much for the additional info!
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 08:02:11 PM »

Don't know when the CD came out, but I don't think the CD ever came out in the states...my copy, btw, is a Japanese import.

Some of the songs had been released elsewhere before and since, others not. Here's the track list and what's going on with each:

With a Little Help from My Friends -- far as I know, unreleased before and never heard from since

Available on the little-known "Covered by The Beach Boys" from EMI Music Special Markets.  "The Letter" is also on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Covered-Beach-Boys/dp/B000FFJZEW
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 08:32:03 PM »

Ahhhh...thanks!

Now, that begs this question: apparently the playback speed on "With A Little Help From My Friends" is slow. (Which is odd because as it appears on the Rarities album, it is in the same key and tempo as the Beatles' version...) Does Covered By The Beach Boys have it in its actual recorded speed or the released speed?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 08:58:02 PM »

Ahhhh...thanks!

Now, that begs this question: apparently the playback speed on "With A Little Help From My Friends" is slow. (Which is odd because as it appears on the Rarities album, it is in the same key and tempo as the Beatles' version...) Does Covered By The Beach Boys have it in its actual recorded speed or the released speed?

So funny!  I actually composed a follow up question, asking about the very same thing but decided to instead check the running time of the file I have against the time listed for it in the Wikipedia entry.  They're both the same.  Reading your statement, it looks like it also sounds slow on the actual release.  I sped up the version I have by 4% and some change but not possessing perfect pitch, I can't tell if I got it right.  It certainly sounds better and much more like a natural performance from Bruce (and Carl) but I don't know if the guitars are actually in tune or just somewhere in the neighborhood.   Huh
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:05:07 PM by Phoenix » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 09:03:12 PM »

This was a fun album to get back in 1983. I was in a college station one day around that time, saw in in their wall of records, and asked them to play something from it. probably the only station in the area that had it.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 09:08:23 PM »

Does Covered By The Beach Boys have it in its actual recorded speed or the released speed?

It's apparently the same, uncorrected version.  Sad

http://www.allmusic.com/album/covered-by-the-beach-boys-mw0000776486
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 09:09:42 PM »

I don't think I want to hear the corrected version...the tempo would be way too fast, and it'd be unnatural in F#.

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 09:26:26 PM »

I was about to post my attempt (which only runs a couple of seconds shorter than the released version) to Youtube but found this already there.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc8mRRZvNwA
It's much shorter and higher than what I had but they say it's correct.  Whether or not that's true is for folks with better ears than I possess to confirm or deny.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 09:41:20 PM »

I think the track to "with a little help" is the correct speed, but the tape speed was increased slightly when they cut Bruce's vocal. So, presumably when they played the tape at the normal speed of 15 ips, Bruce's vocal is at a lower pitch.

I feel like this particular mix/edit of "good vibrations" is unique ...

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 11:14:33 PM »

Several of the rarities tracks' sessions crop up on the Sea of Tunes boots series, which I'd assume would all be at the correct speeds (unless the sessions were recorded at odd speeds) - might those discs make for accurat comparisons?

“We live in divisive times.”
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 11:30:59 PM »

Several of the rarities tracks' sessions crop up on the Sea of Tunes boots series, which I'd assume would all be at the correct speeds (unless the sessions were recorded at odd speeds) - might those discs make for accurat comparisons?

They would have all been transferred at 15 ips ... The issues occur when the group recorded something at a different speed/pitch (and perhaps didn't note it on the reel).

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 12:12:00 AM »

'Little Help From My Friends' is also on a rare French Compilation CD 'The Beach Boys - The Best Of' Cat No 833 172 2 EMI Music France , Year 1997.

'Bluebirds' Dutch Mix is also on 'The Dutch Singles Collection' CD Cat No 7243 4 96507 2 5 , Year 1998.

'Long BB's Medley' is on 2 Euro Single CD Releases , 'WIBN' / 'I Get Around' / 'Medley' CDCL 579 , Year 1990 AND 'Do It Again' / 'Good Vibes' / 'Medley' CDEMCT 1 , Year 1991.

Pretty sure I have the 'Slow Medley' somewhere else on CD, and certainly on a Japanese (albeit 12" Single Vinyl) release.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:22:07 AM by Rob Dean » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 12:26:01 AM »

There're also two versions of You're Welcome (pre-2011 box) – one with slight echo, one without. Can't recall the sources though.

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 02:25:30 AM »

Medley turned up on Sounds of Summer: Platinum Edition in the early naughties.

It, and Ballads, also appeared on Beach Boys Greatest Hits - 20 All time Greats CD  as released in lucky, lucky Australia circa '89.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 03:26:01 AM »

Also on the "Sounds Of Summer Singles" four track CD, May 2003.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 05:55:07 AM »

I actually thought that the particular mix/edit of GV on "Rarities" hadn't made it to CD, and then they found some sort of source tape or DAT backup for it and put it in the 2006 "40th Anniversary" CD single, where it was marketed as "first time on CD" rather than "first time on CD in the US."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 07:54:06 AM »

that vocal 'tag' added to I WAS MADE TO LOVE HER on Rarities IMO is the most worthwhile, neat and valuable thing on that old L.P.  It sounds great and I can't imagine why they wouldn't edit it into the Wild Honey album version

but the 'Dutch' version of BBOTM really scrapes the bottom of the unreleased barrel.  It might as well even be a fabrication IMO.  Does anybody actually own the original BBOTM mono 45 from the Netherlands?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 08:01:15 AM »

Well, I think the deal with “Rarities” in general was it was made from available scraps, essentially what Capitol had lying around its own vaults. They didn’t do it with BRI co-operation and certainly it was done before any major cataloging of the BRI vaults.

I don’t recall all of the ins and outs of how BRI reacted to the album, but wasn’t it pulled after not too long? I don’t know if any actual legal action took place, but I recall having the impression that BRI encouraged Capitol to get “Rarities” off the market, which happened apart from a brief 90s appearance on CD in Japan. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 08:30:20 AM »

Well, I think the deal with “Rarities” in general was it was made from available scraps, essentially what Capitol had lying around its own vaults. They didn’t do it with BRI co-operation and certainly it was done before any major cataloging of the BRI vaults.

I don’t recall all of the ins and outs of how BRI reacted to the album, but wasn’t it pulled after not too long? I don’t know if any actual legal action took place, but I recall having the impression that BRI encouraged Capitol to get “Rarities” off the market, which happened apart from a brief 90s appearance on CD in Japan. 

Not too sure about it being pulled, however that fate certainly appeared to take course (with I believe real legal action proposed) for the Australian only release in 1981 of  'The Beach Boys - Brian Wilson Rarities' over the inclusion of the Live 'What'd I Say'
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 09:41:58 AM »

I believe the group thought it was substandard (and I suppose it is ... Though it's better than any album they'd out out since "Love You" 😃😃😃) ... So they threatened to sue, and Capitol took it off the market. I really think it's a cool collection ... I doubt we'd have ever have heard some of these tracks in a BB-approved release.

hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 10:37:58 AM »

"....what Capitol had lying around it's own vaults".

a few of those tracks then possibly from an early WILD HONEY L.P. submission to them?  (if BRI officially had absolutely no involvement)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx