gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680714 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 11:50:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Panda Bear's "The Preakness" from Crosswords EP  (Read 2527 times)
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2015, 04:15:12 PM »

Give that a listen and tell me it doesn't remind me you of another band.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 04:26:27 PM »

what? where? not here....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 04:38:35 PM »

Spotify or Songza.  Youtube version is different from the EP.

http://diffuser.fm/stream-panda-bears-surprise-ep-crosswords/
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:40:55 PM by Compost » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 03:59:45 AM »

Doesn't sound any more like the BB than anything else he's done.
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 08:29:08 AM »

Agree to a point, but in addition to his singing, the intro is reminiscent of WIBN/Little Girl I Once Knew and the big vocal build-up nails the BB sound.

"Scheherazade" from Tomboy is another.  Reminds me of Our Prayer but in a far more queasy fashion.
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 12:37:51 PM »

The intro sounds less like WIBN and more like random electronic beeping. The vocals are a little bit like the Beach Boys, but not much
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 02:31:54 PM »

Fair enough.  Just these ears, I guess.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »

Agree to a point, but in addition to his singing, the intro is reminiscent of WIBN/Little Girl I Once Knew and the big vocal build-up nails the BB sound.

"Scheherazade" from Tomboy is another.  Reminds me of Our Prayer but in a far more queasy fashion.

I love panda bear and animal collective - for me this is the true legacy of the beach boys taken in a creative and progressive (I.e relevant in 2015) direction. Thinking more of animal collective here, but anyone who can simultaneously sound like the beach boys and Lee scratch perry is alright in my book.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 04:15:27 PM »

My starting point with both Animal Collective and Panda Bear was 'Doing it Right' off of Daft Punk's last album.  Dug Noah Lennox's voice and so checked out a couple of Panda Bear albums.  That led to Animal Collective.

I totally agree with your assessment of legacy, buddhahat.  These guys are the real deal.  

New AC album forthcoming too!

kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 07:31:25 PM »

Animal Collective has always been really hard for me to get into. I like some of the stuff on MPP and Strawberry Jam, and Centipede Hz is alright, but I don't get the Beach Boys comparisons. Brian Wilson took the standard pop song of the day and fused it with interesting chord changes and harmonies, and AC just sounds like white noise and singing. I can see comparisons between some of the lyrics, though.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 08:34:04 PM »

Animal Collective has always been really hard for me to get into. I like some of the stuff on MPP and Strawberry Jam, and Centipede Hz is alright, but I don't get the Beach Boys comparisons. Brian Wilson took the standard pop song of the day and fused it with interesting chord changes and harmonies, and AC just sounds like white noise and singing. I can see comparisons between some of the lyrics, though.

I think it's Panda Bear's singing and melodies along with basically what I'd call the purity of intent with the lyrics is what people connect Animal Collective with The Beach Boys. By "purity of intent" I'm basically saying that it seems with the lyrics that for the most part Brian Wilson and Panda Bear usually don't aim to be too clever or witty or anything. Just heartfelt, plainspoken feelings.

Now I'll also say, I don't necessarily agree with the fact that people say Panda sounds like Brian and the Boys. Sure, there are some things, like Animal Collective's song "College" that are unmistakably Beach Boys influenced. But what some people would say sound "Beach Boys-y" I would say are kinda really poppy Buddy Holly-ish melodies. Somewhat Beach Boys though.

Also, I gotta say I'm totally in agreement with buddhahat that anything that can successfully incorporate the sounds of both The Beach Boys and Lee Perry is probably worth listening to. Those are two very different influences, but Panda and Animal Collective makes something cohesive from that.
AdultContemporaryChild
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 12:06:33 PM »

Feed a newborn child nothing but Skittles for 34 years
then and only then have him ejaculate on the playable side of a Dario G CD
place in CD player
result = the music of "the new Beach Boys", aka Animal Collective
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 12:07:58 PM by AdultContemporaryChild » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 08:47:44 PM »

Have a newborn ejaculate? That is a pretty sick thought.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 11:46:42 PM »

Love You era Brian could probably write a song about it.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
AdultContemporaryChild
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 05:03:41 PM »

reread the bit about "for 34 years" you managed to miss
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 11:58:31 PM »

reread the bit about "for 34 years" you managed to miss

A skittles-only diet severely retards the ageing process.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx