gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:34:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian interview  (Read 16249 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2006, 04:47:53 PM »

Brian for Byron
RITCHIE YORKE
25jun06

ON the eve of a holiday on the island of Maui, in Hawaii, Brian Wilson lights up with an electric laugh over the transcontinental phone lines.

The Beach Boys founder is simply thrilled at the prospect of headlining the Splendour in the Grass festival in Byron Bay on July 22-23.

Never mind that – unlike virtually every rootsy muso on the planet – he's never heard of Byron Bay. And barely of Brisbane, where he first surfaced in 1964 to be met by yours truly, an aspiring young rock journo. But that's another story for another place.

After years of stage fright, the 64-year old Brian – as he thoroughly proved in the Smile tour performance at QPAC in 2005 – is relishing the rigours of performance abroad.

And he keeps on turning out staggeringly high-quality efforts with his new 10-piece lineup.

The Splendour show will consist of his "greatest hits" repertoire. Few could boast such a bountiful quiver of hit arrows.

There might even be a surprise or two, hints Brian amid excited endorsement of his next "rock 'n' roll" project. He insists it will be the greatest album of his career, no minor claim from such a prodigious musical giant.

Brian says he's written some of the key tunes and he's excited about their quality.

So should we be, knowing his penchant for pulling out near-perfect audio visions.

You don't have to be a professional pundit to realise that Brian Wilson is capable of just about anything.

These days, it's pretty obvious that he is on an upward spiral.

"My state of being has been elevated," he croons, "because I've been exercising, writing songs.

"I'm in a better frame of mind these days.

"It feels great – it's like I see some light. Things make sense to me again."

One aspect of modern existence that doesn't make any sense to Brian Wilson is rock radio.

He says that he simply cannot listen to the music on today's radio formats, because it has so little to do with the origins of the music that changed his life.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 05:41:58 PM »

I got one word for ya

YAY!!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 05:47:20 PM »

My only concern is who the producer is. I'd like it to be Darian, but that won't happen now that's he's out.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 05:57:45 PM »

You're not happy with Brian producing it?  Lemme give you a list of famous songs he's recorded.

*Every Good BB's Song*

That's pretty complete, look it over
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 05:59:44 PM »

And the list of good songs he's produced on his own recently?

Waiting...

Waiting...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 06:39:22 PM »

And the list of good songs he's produced on his own recently?

Waiting...

Waiting...

More like...

and the list of songs credited as being produced by him that actually *were* produced by  him in the past, I dunno how many years...how long's he been married again...okay in the past ten years?

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 07:14:01 PM »

I'd like it to be Darian, but that won't happen now that's he's out.

Maybe I missed something but what's going on with Darian?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 08:23:43 PM »

He's working for Disney.

jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 08:43:48 PM »

Can someone go further into the Darian thing?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 09:05:45 PM »

Well basically he's doing the music for some Disney series, along with Probyn,Nelson  and Nick- the Replacements is the name of the show. It's for like a year or so. That's the *official* story.

As for what's going on, it's not my place to say. Let me just say...notice how both the Christmas album and the new "Spirit of Rock & Roll" and "Walking in the Path of Life" feature a (ahem) "stripped down" band?

If anyone else wants to pick this up, be my guest!  Cool Guy

peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 10:19:29 PM »

NOW, I'm curious!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 10:41:52 PM »

That's interesting news, I hadn't heard anything about Disney and the band.  If Darian and those few others you mentioned are busy with that show then I wonder if they have been participating in any of the recording that Brian has been doing of late?  It will be interesting to see how this plays out...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 11:36:50 PM »

Well basically he's doing the music for some Disney series, along with Probyn,Nelson  and Nick- the Replacements is the name of the show. It's for like a year or so. That's the *official* story.

As for what's going on, it's not my place to say. Let me just say...notice how both the Christmas album and the new "Spirit of Rock & Roll" and "Walking in the Path of Life" feature a (ahem) "stripped down" band?

Funny - my version of the Xmas album credits the whole band, and they're sure as hell all there on the EPK clips.  Cool

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 11:40:18 PM »

That's interesting news, I hadn't heard anything about Disney and the band.  If Darian and those few others you mentioned are busy with that show then I wonder if they have been participating in any of the recording that Brian has been doing of late?  It will be interesting to see how this plays out...

My understanding is that only Darian is in the employ of Uncle Walt, but he will ask the rest of The 'Mints to help out on the recordings. He was depped by Gary Griffin in Vegas.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 02:07:45 AM »

He insists it will be the greatest album of his career

Roll Eyes
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 04:13:35 AM »

Well slap me backwards and call me Melissa! I stand corrected.  LOL

Seriously though, i have no idea why I lumped the Christmas album in there.

Funny - my version of the Xmas album credits the whole band, and they're sure as hell all there on the EPK clips.  Cool

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 06:10:54 AM »

Andrew, you probably lumped the Christmas album in there because when Brian toured the album promotionally Darian and a few others weren't there for those 1 off performances on Leno, etc. 
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 06:15:49 AM »

I loves me some Disney. I'd love to work for their sound production.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 09:52:22 AM »

Never mind. Please delete.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 09:55:13 AM by Glenn Greenberg » Logged

Glenn
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 10:48:08 AM »

Andrew, you probably lumped the Christmas album in there because when Brian toured the album promotionally Darian and a few others weren't there for those 1 off performances on Leno, etc. 
Andrew didn't actually say that; "Smurf's Up" did but he wrote on the wrong side of the quotes.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
theCOD
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 12:05:01 PM »

Roll Eyes

Seriously.  Old people can't make good music, and that's a scientific fact.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2006, 12:37:37 PM »

Roll Eyes

That's another debate for another time (although I certainly see your point), but even if its not the greatest album of Brian's career (which I don't think it will be), I'm just happy to see that he has this much confidence in what he's doing.  I think it shows that he's not just phoning this one in, and that he's really trying to make it great.  When Brian gives 100% he's capable of incredible things, so I'm excited to hear what he's so excited and confident about.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 12:53:18 PM »

I thought McCartney's last album was pretty great though.
Wilsonista
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 01:34:39 PM »

Putting quotes around "official" implies that there is some secret reason as to why Darian is taking time off from Brian. Everything that has been posted  elsewhere about  this is accurate. And it is only Darian that is taking time away - Nick and Probyn are still very much in the band. I don't forsee that changing anytime soon. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2006, 04:00:20 PM »

Putting quotes around "official" implies that there is some secret reason as to why Darian is taking time off from Brian. Everything that has been posted  elsewhere about  this is accurate. And it is only Darian that is taking time away - Nick and Probyn are still very much in the band. I don't forsee that changing anytime soon. 

Actually, those weren't quotes, they were asterisks, which is another way of putting emphasis without using the bold tags. That said, you bet there's more to the story.

Oh, and to clarify...yes, it's only Darian who will be on hiatus, although the others mentioned are supposedly helping. Just don't be surprised if Darian's hiatus is permanent.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx