gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:29:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson on 'Kokomo'  (Read 13416 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2015, 08:26:35 AM »

Sings Little Deuce Coupe in War of the Worlds too. He's still a sh*t actor though. If you like Vanilla Sky, the original's better. He ruins Rain Man and The Colour of Money. I'll give him Magnolia, because he's not in it that much. Born on the Fourth of July? Mmm. Better, I suppose.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2015, 08:31:13 AM »

Sings Little Deuce Coupe in War of the Worlds too. He's still a sh*t actor though. If you like Vanilla Sky, the original's better. He ruins Rain Man and The Colour of Money. I'll give him Magnolia, because he's not in it that much. Born on the Fourth of July? Mmm. Better, I suppose.

I thought he was pretty good in Jerry Maguire and A Few Good Men too.  I don't think he can really pull off a complex role but he's charismatic enough, I don't think he's a bad actor at all.  He was pretty funny in Tropic Thunder too.

marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2015, 08:37:47 AM »

I'm amazed sometimes at how many might disagree about the film driving the song, maybe it's a bad memory thing or something because if you go back and look at every release of the song Kokomo from the time the movie was in the theaters, the sleeve or cover art has Tom Cruise as the bartender character from the film. And it's on Elektra, which the Beach Boys were not signed to but who released the soundtrack. Every release from the records to the tapes to the CD-singles to the official sheet music had Tom Cruise on the cover.

I'm not claiming the movie had nothing to do with the success of the song (I was 4 when the movie came out and can't speak to it at all), but in 2015 I don't think many people even think about the film when they hear the song. They probably know it's the Beach Boys though. I think the song is probably more remembered than the movie.

Contrast that with Power of Love from Back to the Future. When you hear that, most people immediately think of the film. They might know it's Huey Lewis.

Anyway, at least Kokomo is better than Problem Child.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2015, 08:43:26 AM »

I'm amazed sometimes at how many might disagree about the film driving the song, maybe it's a bad memory thing or something because if you go back and look at every release of the song Kokomo from the time the movie was in the theaters, the sleeve or cover art has Tom Cruise as the bartender character from the film. And it's on Elektra, which the Beach Boys were not signed to but who released the soundtrack. Every release from the records to the tapes to the CD-singles to the official sheet music had Tom Cruise on the cover.
Quite. It's very strange to say the least that the people don't want to accept this cold fact. It doesn't diminish the BBs' performance. They got popular again after all those years. Casual fans enjoy it anyway. Doesn't hurt if your song is included in the soundtrack of the box office hit film. It's a strong cred.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2015, 07:33:24 PM »

I'm surprised the band (as far as I know?) never did any mining of their lone (at the time) other song in the Kokomo style, that being 1980's "Sunshine" back in the Kokomo era. Seems like a perfect tune for them to have either done live in the late 80s in the same set as Kokomo, or for it to be released again in some fashion as a b-side or something. I guess maybe the band didn't like the song much. "Sunshine" grew on me over the years; even though it's not great, it has some cool harmonies and chord progressions.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2015, 09:08:20 PM »

I'm surprised the band (as far as I know?) never did any mining of their lone (at the time) other song in the Kokomo style, that being 1980's "Sunshine" back in the Kokomo era. Seems like a perfect tune for them to have either done live in the late 80s in the same set as Kokomo, or for it to be released again in some fashion as a b-side or something. I guess maybe the band didn't like the song much. "Sunshine" grew on me over the years; even though it's not great, it has some cool harmonies and chord progressions.
The BB's totally blew the momentum they had with "Kokomo". By the time "Still Cruisin" finally appeared, "Kokomo" had been out over a year, and off the charts for at least 6 months. But the group and Capitol knew exactly what the fans needed - another compilation!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2015, 11:11:41 PM »

Cocktail has yet to reach Stainforth. We don't have a movie theatre though a mobile cinema occasionally comes to the village hall in the neighbouring village. As such, I hadn't known Tom Cruise was an actor… I'd understood him to be a religious leader who briefly had a raised public profile because he was once married to a famous actress.

Sorry… my take: film drove the single, but song outlived the movie.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:20:35 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2015, 01:17:08 AM »

Cocktail has yet to reach Stainforth. We don't have a movie theatre though a mobile cinema occasionally comes to the village hall in the neighbouring village. As such, I hadn't known Tom Cruise was an actor… I'd understood him to be a religious leader who briefly had a raised public profile because he was once married to a famous actress.

Sorry… my take: film drove the single, but song outlived the movie.

Lucky bugger.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2015, 06:08:59 AM »

Anyone know what the 1988 viewership was for MTV and other outlets for the BBs' video? 

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx