gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 09:46:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson on 'Kokomo'  (Read 13523 times)
SummertimeMcLovin
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2015, 02:43:36 PM »

Does anyone know if Brian Wilson enjoyed, or disdains "Kokomo"?
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 02:58:50 PM »

He thinks it was really great.  Check out the endless harmony documentary,

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 03:23:57 PM »

In this interview, Brian plays a little bit of "Kokomo" on the piano and says he regrets not being on the track.
https://youtu.be/aL5GnkWqO1k?t=2m20s

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 04:04:31 PM »

I regret it, too.

I've always had a soft spot for "Kokomo."  And I really, really wish Brian had been on the track in some form, whether it be instrumentally, vocally or both.

Now, I'm not 'up-to-the-minute' and devotedly detail-oriented with the Beach Boys in the same manner I am with the Beatles (so I may be mis-remembering this), but I seem to recall some disagreement over the reason why Brian wasn't there (as in, Wilson claiming he was never asked, with the BB guys steadfastly saying they did everything they could to reach him).

But regardless of the reasons why, sometimes when Brian discusses the session, I get the feeling he still hurts a little over not having been there.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 04:07:06 PM by R. Smith » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 04:12:14 PM »

I regret it, too.

I've always had a soft spot for "Kokomo."  And I really, really wish Brian had been on the track in some form, whether it be instrumentally, vocally or both.

Now, I'm not 'up-to-the-minute' and devotedly detail-oriented with the Beach Boys in the same manner I am with the Beatles (so I may be mis-remembering this), but I seem to recall some disagreement over the reason why Brian wasn't there (as in, Wilson claiming he was never asked, with the BB guys steadfastly saying they did everything they could to reach him).

But regardless of the reasons why, sometimes when Brian discusses the session, I get the feeling he still hurts a little over not having been there.

well soitenly!!  Had he been there, he could have  pulled a Mike Love and claimed a songwriting credit! 
Just think how much $$ that could have added to his bank account9 not to mention the added prestige)   
AND had he been a part of it, there'd be no way for the Brianistas to bicker about the song

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »

Regardless Kokomo is bad compared to Brian's Love and Mercy. So all you Mike Lovers out there, no pun intended, think about this Mike wrote one song with a writer, Brian had a whole album completed with the help of some good and bad writers  by then and released. If Brian was on it I still would hate it, he's on the Spanish version and I don't even like that!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 04:52:29 PM »

Kokomo is a great song. I agree with Brian's appraisal.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 05:44:40 PM »

Regardless Kokomo is bad compared to Brian's Love and Mercy. So all you Mike Lovers out there, no pun intended, think about this Mike wrote one song with a writer, Brian had a whole album completed with the help of some good and bad writers  by then and released. If Brian was on it I still would hate it, he's on the Spanish version and I don't even like that!

Just don't see how anyone that enjoys the Beach Boys can dislike Kokomo

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 07:35:40 PM »

In this interview, Brian plays a little bit of "Kokomo" on the piano and says he regrets not being on the track.

Yeah, in that ^ interview, Brian calls it "a great record". I'm sure he was disappointed that he wasn't on "Kokomo" because it was, and still is, played a lot on the radio and Brian wanted to be on the radio. "Kokomo" was also a hit, a No. 1 single, and Brian wanted a hit. If "Kokomo" would've been just another Beach Boys' single that tanked, I wonder if it would've bothered him that he wasn't on it?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:47:08 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 07:47:20 PM »

If it hadn't been a hit I doubt anybody would care what he thought about it.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 08:58:49 PM »

Kokomo's a pretty good song. I think the reason a lot of people can't stand it is it's become thought of as a signature song for the Beach Boys by a lot and probably THE signature song to a lot of Beach Boys fans for whom Kokomo was their first real exposure to the Boys.

And, of course, because Mike loves to point out that he co-wrote it and Brian had no involvement.

Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 09:14:03 PM »

I regret it, too.

Both.

Brian was still under Landy's care at the time.  If you wanted to get in touch with Brian, you had to do it through Landy, and even then Landy didn't always pass the message.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 09:47:50 PM »

Kokomo ain't a bad song. It's a good tune.

And I'll bet that if Mike cooled it with all the gloating and appearing so glad to have done a hit without Brian, that Brian might have played it a time or two on his solo tours. But since Mike has made it a point to rub it in about the song being a hit (and specifically how it was a hit while BW88 wasn't), that may have left a bad taste in Brian's mind.

Hang on to Your Kokomego.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:25:52 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 10:11:52 PM »

It's hardly like their 60s hits. It sounds more like Jimmy Buffett or something than Beach Boys. I can see how someone could dislike it and consider themselves a BBs fan.

Kokomo is ok. It's not a song I'd buy or go out of my way to hear, but when it's on, I'll listen. I just hate what it represents; Mike Loves dominion over the group and the embarrassment of the late 80s, 90s period.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 11:00:24 PM »

Personally I like it but it's a bit too Agadoo to be truly great.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 12:44:00 AM »

Like a lot of late period BB stuff, it sounds like what somebody else thought a BB song should sound like. I also suspect that if Mike didn't bang on about it like it was Good Vibes, there'd be a lot less opposition to it. It would just be another late period BB track but one that happened to be a hit.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 01:36:37 AM »

Personally I like it but it's a bit too Agadoo to be truly great.

Wasn't there a rumour that they asked VDP to 'push the pineapple' while Bruce 'shook the tree'? C-Man would know!
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 02:04:23 AM »

->Slo-mo kokomo? - £'s!<-

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 03:11:45 AM »

This. The melody is great, and when the chorus kicks in you're treated to hearing Al in the harmony stack with Carl sending each chorus off on a high note (no pun intended). It would've been great if Brian was involved and interesting to think if he would've had a hand in any of the vocal arranging just by being present. It's cool to listen to the Spanish version every so often to hear Brian in the chorus. Also, as it's been said many times on this board, it put the 'Boys name back out there and introduced them to a new generation. Anyone here get into the group by way of Kokomo?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 03:47:11 AM »

I'm personally not a huge fan of Kokomo but South American and On The Island seem like Brian nods to Kokomo to me.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 04:12:11 AM »

I'm not a big Kokomo fan, but I don't hate it. It really fit the decade it came from, it's catchy and memorable. I never saw the movie Cocktail, and I bet a lot of people haven't.. the song is more popular than the movie it came from.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:15:48 AM by marcusb » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 05:38:53 AM »

That is a great find! I had never seen it. The only thing I didn't like was the angle of the camera, downward on Brian, instead of at eye level. 

Even though the interviewer was seated and Brian is always sitting tall, at his ivories, it made me uneasy.  It does seem in the time line that Brian was being held back by that person masquerading as a doctor, with only Brian in mind. 

But there is footage of Brian singing Kokomo during C50.  It probably isn't the best one, but towards the end, Al is next to Brian singing with him.

Hope it copies! Here goes... Wink

http://youtu.be/3KeeEtXgsJ4

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 06:18:45 AM »

I'm personally not a huge fan of Kokomo but South American and On The Island seem like Brian nods to Kokomo to me.

South American? Now that is awful.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 09:36:55 AM »

Kokomo's okay. Not groundbreaking by any means, but a nice, fun summer song. I remember hearing it when it first came out and was excited that The Boys were back on the radio.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 09:49:20 AM »

Before "Kokomo" came out, the Beach Boys were about as popular as a mosquito up your nose.  I remember just about everyone and their mother loving this damn song when it came out, including myself.  "Kokomo" may not be a masterpiece, but it revived the Beach Boys popularity... even if it was for a short period of time.  Hell, they even recorded a Spanish version of it, which Brian was present for.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx