gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:32:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Non-Instrumentalist Songwriters  (Read 3551 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2015, 08:02:56 AM »

Obviously it comes up from time to time regarding Mike Love on the main forum, though I believe it's been established he can play some rudimentary guitar and/or piano, at least. But I'm listening to a podcast with Nate Ruess in which, while it's focused on the business of the industry, Ruess mentioned that he doesn't play any instruments, but just writes songs more or less in his head and then works with others to get the ideas out. I believe it came out in the press for her album last year that Lana Del Rey works similarly, as did Desmond Child (who wrote quite a few hits in the '80s for Bon Jovi and such acts).

Are there other prominent examples of people who are not just non-instrumentalist singers--which seems reasonable enough--but actually songwriters, too? (Beyond just lyricists, I mean.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 08:24:35 AM »

Jim Morrison comes to mind. As I recall before The Doors even formed he could hear music/concerts in his head. He'd write lyrics and sometimes melodies would come to mind. Of course he had great help/ideas from his band.

A side note: the digital age has made it incredibly easier for people to write songs without having to learn an instrument. I have a program that allows you to basically paint a melody, as well as select certain notes to play whatever chords you want, with whatever instrument you want...all with the use of a mouse/trackpad.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 08:37:18 AM »

A side note: the digital age has made it incredibly easier for people to write songs without having to learn an instrument.

I was just thinking that while posting, as well: it has never been easier to pull off this previously problematic career path.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »

Indeed. It makes for a lot of lousy music being released to the world, but it also gives a chance for a promising songwriter the ability to express more clearly what they hear inside of them. It'll be interesting to watch the music landscape over the next 10-20 years for this reason alone.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 10:29:42 AM »

Carnie and Wendy Wilson.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 10:37:59 AM »

How do you all view such songwriters?

When I was in college as a music major, the instrumentalists mostly looked down even on vocal performance majors as not being "real" musicians: they "just" sang! We'd chuckle because it seemed as we coasted through theory or sight-singing courses, these singers struck us as illiterate. (Never mind that they could fucking sing well.) To us, it was a lesser craft.

Do you respect a songwriter who plays an instrument--or several--more than one who doesn't? I'll admit, while I don't want to, I think I probably do.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 11:01:59 AM »

I don't know if respect is the term I would use, maybe "appreciate their instrumental talent" is more in line for me. Frankly, because I (like you I'm sure) listen to the music for enjoyment first, the question of "did the writer of the song compose it on an instrument?" doesn't come into play often. The only time I do think of the topic is on threads/discussions like these. Razz Seriously.

In line with this thinking, there were a couple of others which came to mind - Michael Jackson, Art Garfunkel, Smokey Robinson, Al Green, Debbie Harry, Frank Sinatra, Madonna - who I was going to list, but knew that somebody would quickly point out that they all did or do play an instrument. Yes, technically they did or do. However, I have to wonder if they wrote their songs using an instrument or did it "the Jim Morrison way".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 11:09:33 AM »

Frankly, because I (like you I'm sure) listen to the music for enjoyment first, the question of "did the writer of the song compose it on an instrument?" doesn't come into play often. The only time I do think of the topic is on threads/discussions like these. Razz Seriously.

I think that's exactly correct, actually. My reminiscence is of one of those times when such things matter oh so much, with competitive 18-to-22-year-olds vying for spots and (mostly) trying to prove to the objects of their sexual affections that they are indeed really, really impressive (and that guy over there isn't). I feel bad for anyone who, if in daily listening, thinks "well unfortunately this song's a piece of garbage, as the songwriter can't even play piano!"

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 11:30:17 AM »

I feel bad for anyone who, if in daily listening, thinks "well unfortunately this song's a piece of garbage, as the songwriter can't even play piano!"

Too true! Indeed, playing piano can be a distinct disadvantage as it inevitably locks you into writing pianistically.

The only great composer (okay, different genre) to my knowledge who couldn't play piano was Hector Berlioz----and goodness me it shows.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 11:57:24 AM »

I feel bad for anyone who, if in daily listening, thinks "well unfortunately this song's a piece of garbage, as the songwriter can't even play piano!"

Too true! Indeed, playing piano can be a distinct disadvantage as it inevitably locks you into writing pianistically.

The only great composer (okay, different genre) to my knowledge who couldn't play piano was Hector Berlioz----and goodness me it shows.

As for the former, not at all what I meant but certainly true (as would be the same critique of a guitar-playing composer).

But more interesting to me: is that true about Berlioz? I had no idea. My tuition was at least in part wasted, goddamnit. (Even more so when I admit I was about to express astonishment about "Tottentanz" ... before remembering it was Lizst, not Berlioz.)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 03:16:17 PM »

But more interesting to me: is that true about Berlioz? I had no idea. My tuition was at least in part wasted, goddamnit. (Even more so when I admit I was about to express astonishment about "Tottentanz" ... before remembering it was Lizst, not Berlioz.)

This is from Berlioz's Memoires (in translation----not by me, I should add):

"I had mastered three majestic, incomparable instruments, the flageolet, the flute and the guitar. Who could fail to recognise in this judicious choice the impulse of nature which was driving me towards the most immense orchestral effects and music on the scale of Michelangelo! The flute, the guitar and the flageolet!… I have never had any other skills as an instrumentalist, though these seem to me respectable enough as it is. But I am not being fair to myself: I could also play the drum.

"My father was against letting me start studying the piano, otherwise I would probably have become a formidable pianist, like countless others. He had absolutely no intention of making an artist of me, and was probably worried that the piano might establish too strong a hold on me and lead me deeper into music than he wished.

"I have often regretted not being able to play the piano; this skill could be of great use to me in many circumstances. But when I think of the frightening number of trivia that are produced with such ease day-in day-out – disgraceful compositions that would be beyond the reach of their authors if they had to rely on pen and paper and were deprived of their musical kaleidoscope – I have to thank my lucky stars for having been obliged to learn to compose in silence and with complete freedom. This has preserved me from the tyranny of fingering patterns, which are so damaging for creative composition, and from the seduction of commonplaces to which composers are exposed most of the time."

This is a good example of early Berlioz, written, astonishingly, a mere three years after Beethoven's death: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cao6WyF-61s

But i digress...  Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 03:36:47 PM »

Thanks so much. You've taught me something.

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 03:39:21 AM »

Noel Coward springs to mind.

Please delete my account
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 06:25:26 AM »

Indeed. It makes for a lot of lousy music being released to the world, but it also gives a chance for a promising songwriter the ability to express more clearly what they hear inside of them. It'll be interesting to watch the music landscape over the next 10-20 years for this reason alone.
What other programs you're aware of that "cover all bases"? Except UJAM mentioned in this Ego thread?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 02:23:35 PM »

What other programs you're aware of that "cover all bases"? Except UJAM mentioned in this Ego thread?

Logic Pro X is what I currently use (http://www.apple.com/logic-pro/). Pretty much does everything and more when it comes to recording and exporting a song. There are 100s of drums, probably thousands of synths, and most likely millions of ways to program these instruments and synths. There are millions of ways to master your song. Effects including reverb, echo, distortion, and hundreds more are possible for every track (with limitless ways to adjust each effect). The recording options are amazing too - you can choose whether you're recording vocals, piano, drums, guitar, even a flute and a pre-arranged track will appear with the best mastering options for those instruments. Well worth the $200.

Garageband is another program that works well, it is fairly cheap (under $20, and possibly free with a new Mac) and incredibly easy to use. It is very much like Logic Pro X only many, many features are missing.

These are all for Mac computers, I'm not sure of any Windows programs that are like this. A lot of others on this board use programs like this for both platforms, hopefully they can weigh in as well.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 04:58:36 AM »

Garageband is another program that works well, it is fairly cheap (under $20, and possibly free with a new Mac) and incredibly easy to use. It is very much like Logic Pro X only many, many features are missing.

I have Garageband----as you say, free with my new Mac----but so far it's all Ancient Greek to me. I may grapple with it yet, if I find myself with a lot of time on my hands.

Needless to say, I'm utterly awed by people who can actually make these things work, incredibly easy to use or not. Grin     

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx