gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:07:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why the hate for "Barbara Ann"?  (Read 17168 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2015, 03:35:59 AM »

I've always loved this joyous racket. Why on earth anyone should dislike it is beyond me.

So do tell. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 04:20:02 AM »

I prefer the album version...I'm not overly fond of Dean's 'sound'...as I find it a little hard and irritating.  And...realizing that it was about their 5th or 6th biggest charting song doesn't excuse the fact that it was a just an easy cover...hurriedly thrown together...recorded tongue in cheek.  IMO novelty songs really don't have a regular shelf life.  That said...it does work well at a Beach Boys concert...'cause THAT is a party.  Brian shouldn't really lean on it though.  He has WAY better songs in his repetoire.

I guess I feel like I'm being cheated out of hearing something astonishingly great when Brian wastes another 2/12 minutes on it...although they did kind of jazz it up a tad this year.  Still.  I'd rather hear Busy Doin' Nothing.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 04:24:10 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 06:41:22 AM »

If I had to guess, the reason people don't like it, is because it's so overplayed. It feels like it has been played at nearly every BBs show since the song was a hit! They did lay off it in the early 70's, but for the most part, at this point- It's as iconic as Surfin' USA.

I hate to say it but it's true. When the average person thinks of the BBs they think the five striped shirt guys singing Barbara Ann.

I really enjoy Barbara Ann... In small doses. When I saw M&B last year, they really rocked it, which made the experience much more thrilling.

Oh yeah... One more reason why people hate it....... The awkward kickline.....
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 06:43:17 AM »

There is not enough musical substance there to hold up under repeated hearings.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 07:32:30 AM »

I guess I dislike Barbara Ann for the same reason I dislike Do It Again or  Endless Summer. It's not so much the songs themselves, but the context of the times. Barbara Ann represented the label friendly safe single on the eve of Pet Sounds. Do It Again was a successful single that is a nice song, but had enough success to make many believe the Beach Boys were still a surf band. Endless Summer was a major reason they didn't continue to progress after Holland. But if you take away the context, I still like those songs. My favorite version of Barbara Ann was live in 1966.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 08:29:32 AM »

It's beneath them and by extension as a fan it is beneath me.   For such an amazing musical entity to be widely known for this loathsome knockoff is endlessly frustrating.   
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 08:39:23 AM »

I love it. Add Some mentioned it being a hurriedly thrown together cover, and it is, but that further goes to show just how perfectly these guys could harmonize together. These are some of the most lively/perfect vocals/harmonies these guys put on tape...which is exactly why it was a hit.

That being said, during the encore in Philly, EVERY song there had the crowd really energized, but then Barbara Ann came on and you could tell the crowd was a bit less enthusiastic about it. So perhaps it should be retired from Brian's setlist.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 08:59:49 AM »

It's not among my favorites, but I certainly don't hate it...or even grossly dislike it. 

My only issue with it is that, along with a few other of the Boys' bigger hits, it's been overplayed, and I don't feel a serious need to hear it again in the near future.  That is not the fault of the song itself.

I think the sparse instrumentation and the (deliberately) sloppy arrangement tends to throw some people, as they knew that by the time Party was released, the Boys were on such a higher musical level.  If Barbara Ann had appeared on one of the earlier albums, would it had seemed more in place?
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 09:20:07 AM »

Barbara Ann is a classic song. I don't hate it. Not everything has to be Pet Sounds.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 09:24:39 AM »

The only people who I know of who ever expressed dislike for "Barbara Ann"... are on this board.

When I used to DJ weddings, parties, dances, etc., I could never get the people to dance to Beach Boys' songs, and I tried a lot of them. But every now and then, if I was DJing at a bar or a small party, I could play "Barbara Ann" and get some response, even a fair amount of singing along and head bopping.

Many, many years ago, I was trying to impress - win over! - this special girl, and one of the first things I did was make a Beach Boys' mix tape for her. It was one of my 90-minute Maxell high bias cassette classics! And, I included not only the hits, but some hidden gems like "This Whole World", "Cuddle Up", and "The Night Was So Young". Well, I let her digest the tape for about two weeks, and then, when I asked her what her favorite song was on the tape, thinking she'd say "God Only Knows" or "Surfer Girl" or even "Fun, Fun, Fun,", no, she immediately blurts out "Barbara Ann"!!!!!! Shocked
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 09:28:48 AM »

Barbara Ann is a classic song. I don't hate it. Not everything has to be Pet Sounds.

Ding! Ding! Good answer. Every group of some duration ends up with a novelty hit or two.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 09:30:34 AM »

Another hate thread, huzzah! Let's hate!

I don't hate "Barbara Ann." It doesn't rank among--or even near--my favorites. But it's fine. I wish to hell I'd written or otherwise been identified with it, that's for sure. It's a lightweight, but it's fun. If someone wants to push the artistic depths of the Beach Boys, "Barbara Ann" isn't going to be the example. OK, fine. But it's fine for what it is, which is a track I'll mostly always skip at home, but can enjoy live if I've had a few. And I've always had a few.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 09:48:01 AM »

I love it. Add Some mentioned it being a hurriedly thrown together cover, and it is, but that further goes to show just how perfectly these guys could harmonize together. These are some of the most lively/perfect vocals/harmonies these guys put on tape...which is exactly why it was a hit.

That being said, during the encore in Philly, EVERY song there had the crowd really energized, but then Barbara Ann came on and you could tell the crowd was a bit less enthusiastic about it. So perhaps it should be retired from Brian's setlist.
I was there and saw no such thing. Hell, where I was sitting everyone was singing along with it and standing and clapping.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 09:52:17 AM »

I was there and saw no such thing. Hell, where I was sitting everyone was singing along with it and standing and clapping.

Just what I perceived. Haha I and everyone around me was singing, standing, clapping along with it really enthusiastically to the song (pretty sure the whole crowd was!), but it was just a bit less enthusiastic than the rest of the songs in the encore.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 10:26:07 AM »

Another thing to consider...if you ever get an opportunity to sing with the Beach Boys, you will probably be singing Barbara Ann! 🎤
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 10:28:57 AM »

Another thing to consider...if you ever get an opportunity to sing with the Beach Boys, you will probably be singing Barbara Ann! 🎤

"Barbara Ann" has also been a staple at Brian Wilson's shows.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 10:39:39 AM »

Because we all have an ex girlfriend named Barbara Ann somewhere in our lives (for females it was a college experiment) and we don't want to hear her name repeated over and over again, driving us crazy, until we can't take it anymore!!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked  LOL
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 10:49:41 AM »

Because we all have an ex girlfriend named Barbara Ann somewhere in our lives (for females it was a college experiment) and we don't want to hear her name repeated over and over again, driving us crazy, until we can't take it anymore!!!! 

LOL

Perhaps hate is too a strong a word but I have seen it mentioned here as "Barbara f*ckin' Ann" by at least one erudite poster, lol.

"Barbara Ann" to me is the 45 that came out in late '65 with "Girl Don't Tell Me" on the flip. Period. At the time there was nothing like it----who else was singing doo wop in 1965?

Thanks for the heartwarming and (so far mostly) encouraging answers, guys. :=)   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 10:49:54 AM »

I detest this inane ditty with an unholy passion usually reserved for that sanctimonious twat Morrissey. It is my life's stated ambition to persuade Mike and/or Scott to remove it from the set list, just once. I was close in 2014, at Epsom. Next time...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 10:59:08 AM »

The only people who I know of who ever expressed dislike for "Barbara Ann"... are on this board.

When I used to DJ weddings, parties, dances, etc., I could never get the people to dance to Beach Boys' songs, and I tried a lot of them. But every now and then, if I was DJing at a bar or a small party, I could play "Barbara Ann" and get some response, even a fair amount of singing along and head bopping.

Many, many years ago, I was trying to impress - win over! - this special girl, and one of the first things I did was make a Beach Boys' mix tape for her. It was one of my 90-minute Maxell high bias cassette classics! And, I included not only the hits, but some hidden gems like "This Whole World", "Cuddle Up", and "The Night Was So Young". Well, I let her digest the tape for about two weeks, and then, when I asked her what her favorite song was on the tape, thinking she'd say "God Only Knows" or "Surfer Girl" or even "Fun, Fun, Fun,", no, she immediately blurts out "Barbara Ann"!!!!!! Shocked

I take it that was then end of the wooing then?  Grin

I dislike the song....although my love of The Beach Boys knows few bounds, there are some songs in there I just plain don't enjoy hearing...this tops that list. For me, the populist, sing-a-long surf music period is probably my least favourite from the band. There are a few moments of genius in there, don't get me wrong, but you could probably take the bands first 6 albums and turn it into one great best of and not lose any sleep over the discarded tracks....

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »

At the end of the day, it's just a repetitive song with bad production and 90% of the lyrics being "baa baa" like a bunch of sheep. So by itself it sucks. Combined with what it represents as some one else said--the label holding them back musically--and it's even worse. It's one of those songs that's a total embarrassment when trying to turn people on to their music or admitting you like their music. Someone will bring up or put it on and be like "really? This is what you like?"

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 11:48:12 AM »

I think it helps to have heard it on the radio when it came out as a single. At that time no one was aware of an album version, or certainly hadn't heard it if they were. No live versions to throw into the mix. It was what it was. It's been denigrated since then by that obnoxious "bomb Iran" business and its use in ads but I love it still.  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:49:23 AM by john k » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 11:48:40 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFWfMkJUklk
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:50:20 AM by john k » Logged

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 11:58:53 AM »

Nothing wrong with Barbara Ann. Sure, it's not deep or complex, but not every song has to be. It's a fun, party song, and that's ok. I sometimes wonder if we all need to quit analyzing things so much and just kick back and enjoy it all a bit more.  People hate Barbara Ann because some music snobs think it's representative of everything the Beach Boys do? Why do we care? We know the band is capable of turning out a massive party hit one minute, switch gears and do a cool arrangement of traditional music the next, then switch gears again and release a groundbreaking psychedelic pop single. They're just that good!  Like what you like. If you like Barbara Ann, cool! If you don't, that's cool too. In my world, good music is whatever brings you joy.

I can tell you this: when my group sings Barbara Ann, we're guaranteed to get the crowd involved. They enjoy it and it's all good.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 12:03:10 PM »

I reject the repetitiveness and nonsense syllables as being a negative. Those are staples of popular music.

It ain't art music. It's the song SJS's would-be romantic partner was wooed by. The latter is more important than the former, to steal and wildly paraphrase a thought Linda Ronstadt shared in the IJWMFTT doc.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx