gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:02:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why the hate for "Barbara Ann"?  (Read 17281 times)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2015, 12:23:18 PM »

I reject the repetitiveness and nonsense syllables as being a negative. Those are staples of popular music.

It ain't art music. It's the song SJS's would-be romantic partner was wooed by. The latter is more important than the former, to steal and wildly paraphrase a thought Linda Ronstadt shared in the IJWMFTT doc.

Not when it's literally the entire song and sounds like a goat trying to attract a mate.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2015, 12:31:36 PM »

I reject the repetitiveness and nonsense syllables as being a negative. Those are staples of popular music.

It ain't art music. It's the song SJS's would-be romantic partner was wooed by. The latter is more important than the former, to steal and wildly paraphrase a thought Linda Ronstadt shared in the IJWMFTT doc.

Not when it's literally the entire song and sounds like a goat trying to attract a mate.

What, too good to goat-f***?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2015, 12:35:23 PM »

How did this thread go from Barbara Ann to fucking goats?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2015, 12:42:36 PM »

It's just too bad that the Boys didn't do a cover of Surfer Bird for the Party album.  That could have supplanted B.A. as the single.  How would you like them apples?  I too actually prefer the "long" version of the song, especially the big over the top finale, which strikes me as pretty funny.  (ok, I'm easily amused).

Actually, I think Hully Gully would have made a nice follow up single to Barbara Ann.  Heck, maybe the Boys could have destroyed the impending Age of Aquarius and ended the war in Viet Nam with that one two punch!

Better yet, B.A. followed up with Hully Gully, followed up with Surfer Bird!  Take that, Beatles!

Favorite Barbara Ann memory.....driving in a car with my parents in the early 80's outside of Tucumcari NM.  The local AM jock played the long version of B.A., including the ba bah black sheep have you any wool part, and my mother smiling over that part of the song.  O do think that may have been the one and only time I ever heard that version on the radio.

Also on that trip, I heard "Living with a Heartache" on some AM station from a little town in Colorado.  I call that song "Living with an Ear Ache".  Probably one of their most duff tracks ever!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 12:48:40 PM »

Well, they did do a cover of Surfin' Bird on Party. Well...kinda anyway. It's called Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »

There are songs you hear on the radio you like at first. But after hearing it 300 times, you are happy to never hesrit again. "Afternoon Delight" comes to mind.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2015, 12:58:21 PM »

That song is what devil music sounds like.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2015, 01:02:59 PM »

Or Pisces brothers. Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2015, 01:03:41 PM »

Pisces Brothers is just inept; Afternoon Delight is so contrived and calculated it could run for president.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2015, 01:39:59 PM »

Barbara Ann is bad but not as bad as  some songs by other acts that have been big hits to some and ear poison to others.

BA BA BA BA BA Banana!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2015, 01:42:47 PM »

Afternoon Delight is so contrived and calculated it could run for president.

As a non-career politician outsider. Or a maverick.  Grin

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2015, 02:27:32 PM »

I always sing it as bah-bah-bah, bah-bah-black sheep"
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2015, 02:38:27 PM »

"Thank God I'm a Country Boy" by John Denver is another song I hope to never hear again.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2015, 02:59:37 PM »

There's enough stuff I can't stand but the one song that makes me gag at the very thought of it is Chuck Berry's lone US #1 "My Ding-A-Ling". That song is so wrong on every imaginable level!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2015, 04:11:51 PM »

There's enough stuff I can't stand but the one song that makes me gag at the very thought of it is Chuck Berry's lone US #1 "My Ding-A-Ling". That song is so wrong on every imaginable level!
Good one John! I heard that one live a couple years after it charted. Chuck had the guys and girls of the audience singing different parts. Happy to never hear it again.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2015, 04:14:59 PM »

Pisces Brothers is just inept; Afternoon Delight is so contrived and calculated it could run for president.

In 2010, Billboard named "Afternoon Delight" the 20th sexiest song of all time.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2015, 04:15:43 PM »

Good one John! I heard that one live a couple years after it charted. Chuck had the guys and girls of the audience singing different parts. Happy to never hear it again.

HUh. That really was the low point of going to a Chuck concert back in the day. Nowadays just seeing Chuck actually play some real guitar riffs is a thrill

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2015, 04:18:54 PM »

If you hap-happen to be one of those folks that think that really is the 20th sexiest song, you better get your butt over to this site pronto:  

http://www.trustify.info/check

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2015, 04:21:49 PM »

HUh. That really was the low point of going to a Chuck concert back in the day. Nowadays just seeing Chuck actually play some real guitar riffs is a thrill
It's like Barbara Ann, some artists do all the big hits. Chuck did um all when I saw him. Johnny B Goode,  duck walk and all. I thiink it was 1973.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2015, 04:44:04 PM »

I think most bands have a 'BA' in their catalog. Whenever I hear the Beatles 'Obladi Oblada' its like fingernails on a blackboard. Razz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2015, 05:21:04 PM »

I think most bands have a 'BA' in their catalog. Whenever I hear the Beatles 'Obladi Oblada' its like fingernails on a blackboard. Razz

Or Dont Stop Believing by Journey. Good song, but after hearing it at EVERY school dance, wedding, club...I can't stand it anymore

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2015, 05:23:20 PM »

Which means absolutely nothing at all. See my comments on the Rolling Stone thread. Lists like that are pandering, pretentious bullshit. End of story. Mark it zero; next frame.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2015, 06:30:37 PM »

For me, it's Yellow Submarine.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2015, 07:17:11 PM »

I've always loved this joyous racket. Why on earth anyone should dislike it is beyond me.

So do tell. Grin

It's off key. 

The original is also off key. 

The whole thing's sung in a weak falsetto instead of Brian's strong falsetto.  Nothing worse than a weak, thin falsetto, it sounds like an amplified whisper.

The original is even weaker. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2015, 07:32:10 PM »

"Thank God I'm a Country Boy" by John Denver is another song I hope to never hear again.

It's in key.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx