gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:29:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EMI (Not Capitol) the reason for the Beach Boys' decline after GV?  (Read 3833 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 10:37:38 PM »

GF - I'm not sure if EMI is sort of a corporate alter ego of Capitol, analogous to EMI/ Parlophone (for the Beatles)...

Hardly, at least at the time under discussion. In 1955, EMI acquired 96% of Capitol stock thus in 1967, they owned Capitol. In 2012, Capitol was sold to Universal Music Group.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:39:57 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 10:42:14 PM »

GF - I'm not sure if EMI is sort of a corporate alter ego of Capitol, analogous to EMI/ Parlophone (for the Beatles) but "someone at the top" appears to have set the wheels in motion, for whatever reason to cause the discontent of several band members in 1967,  and they could maybe see the "writing on the wall."  They had been complaining for four years.  

In practice, EMI was a completely separate autonomous company from Capitol.  Capitol had no more control over what singles EMI put out than EMI/Parlophone had over what Beatles singles Capitol (or Vee Jay, for that matter) put out.  Any complaints the Boys made to Capitol wouldn't have meant a damn thing to EMI.

Regards,
Jon Blum
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:44:53 PM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2015, 07:03:00 AM »

GF - I'm not sure if EMI is sort of a corporate alter ego of Capitol, analogous to EMI/ Parlophone (for the Beatles) but "someone at the top" appears to have set the wheels in motion, for whatever reason to cause the discontent of several band members in 1967,  and they could maybe see the "writing on the wall."  They had been complaining for four years.  

In practice, EMI was a completely separate autonomous company from Capitol.  Capitol had no more control over what singles EMI put out than EMI/Parlophone had over what Beatles singles Capitol (or Vee Jay, for that matter) put out.  Any complaints the Boys made to Capitol wouldn't have meant a damn thing to EMI.

Regards,
Jon Blum
Thank you both for that (Andrew, too.) Just pulled out SDSN (180 gram vinyl reissue) that my youngest son bought his mama! The way the logo is displayed as "two halves of a whole" does lead the consumer to think it is a joint effort.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx