gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 03:55:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
MPLRecords and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Session Musicians post-Wrecking Crew  (Read 5227 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2015, 06:54:39 PM »

It is quite common knowledge that the Wrecking Crew played many (most, even) BBs backing tracks in 65-66. Carol Kaye has claimed that she didn't play for the BBs after the SMiLE sessions. So with her saying that, I assume most of the WC didn't play for the BBs after that very much either.

Albums like Smiley Smile-Holland are often seen and describes as albums made by the band, as a band- mostly without session players. I am not sure how true that is.
It's also pretty common knowledge that the BBs didn't play most of their backing tracks from KTSA and onwards...

But am I getting wrong info? Were there many session players from 67-73 and did the BBs play any of their 80's and 90's tracks?
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 08:25:52 PM »

They didn't use The Wrecking Crew as a cohesive unit much after Smile, but they still hired individual members depending on what songs were being done.

Really, it varied a lot from album to album. Friends had a lot of studio musicians on it, but Surf's Up had almost none.

A few tracks from 15 Big Ones used a large component of the Wrecking Crew, like Blueberry Hill (off the top of my head).

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 10:52:23 AM »

From my extensive research, I can tell you that Carol Kaye did indeed not play another session for Brian after SMiLE (until 1996, that is, when she played on EVERYTHING I NEED - which Brian produced for Carnie & Wendy). And it's true that Smiley Smile and Wild Honey were largely cut by the Boys as a band (with only a few WC members here and there on the latter). However, for Friends, 20/20, and Sunflower, Brian and the other Boys relied heavily on the WC members and other session players to provide instrumentation (while still playing a fair amount themselves). They even included a special "Thank you" to these musicians on the back cover slick of Friends. For the next three studio albums (Surf's Up, Carl And The Passions, and Holland), though, it was back to the group playing most of the instruments, along with a few friends and close associates (like Charles Lloyd, Mike Kowalski, and the Dragon brothers).

For the '80s and '90s stuff - that was mostly session players, but if one of the BBs (other than Mike) wrote a song, he would almost always play on the track. Credits are included in the '85 album inner sleeve, so you can see for yourself there. I think the same is true on Still Cruisin'. Note: although none of the Boys play on the KOKOMO track, both Jeff Foskett and Van Dyke Parks are on there! For Summer In Paradise, Bruce is the only Boy credited as an instrumentalist, and my ears tell me he's only playing on the song he wrote, plus maybe UNDER THE BOARDWALK. For the April '95 attempt at a reunion (DANCIN' THE NIGHT AWAY and possibly GRACE OF MY HEART), Brian had Carl overdub guitar. But for the November '95 sessions (SOUL SEARCHIN' and STILL A MYSTERY), it seems it was all Don Was' people, although Andy played on the latter, and the released version of SS reinstates Andy's original backing track.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:00:20 AM by c-man » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 12:03:04 PM »

From my extensive research, I can tell you that Carol Kaye did indeed not play another session for Brian after SMiLE (until 1996, that is, when she played on EVERYTHING I NEED - which Brian produced for Carnie & Wendy). And it's true that Smiley Smile and Wild Honey were largely cut by the Boys as a band (with only a few WC members here and there on the latter). However, for Friends, 20/20, and Sunflower, Brian and the other Boys relied heavily on the WC members and other session players to provide instrumentation (while still playing a fair amount themselves). They even included a special "Thank you" to these musicians on the back cover slick of Friends. For the next three studio albums (Surf's Up, Carl And The Passions, and Holland), though, it was back to the group playing most of the instruments, along with a few friends and close associates (like Charles Lloyd, Mike Kowalski, and the Dragon brothers).

For the '80s and '90s stuff - that was mostly session players, but if one of the BBs (other than Mike) wrote a song, he would almost always play on the track. Credits are included in the '85 album inner sleeve, so you can see for yourself there. I think the same is true on Still Cruisin'. Note: although none of the Boys play on the KOKOMO track, both Jeff Foskett and Van Dyke Parks are on there! For Summer In Paradise, Bruce is the only Boy credited as an instrumentalist, and my ears tell me he's only playing on the song he wrote, plus maybe UNDER THE BOARDWALK. For the April '95 attempt at a reunion (DANCIN' THE NIGHT AWAY and possibly GRACE OF MY HEART), Brian had Carl overdub guitar. But for the November '95 sessions (SOUL SEARCHIN' and STILL A MYSTERY), it seems it was all Don Was' people, although Andy played on the latter, and the released version of SS reinstates Andy's original backing track.

Wow thanks! Do you know what Bruce's involvement was on the Friends album?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 12:21:45 PM »

On one hand CK states she never played on any post-Smile sessions, yet on the other she claims she played bass on "I Was Made To Love Her". Dilemma. Not.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 01:32:30 PM »

On one hand CK states she never played on any post-Smile sessions, yet on the other she claims she played bass on "I Was Made To Love Her". Dilemma. Not.  Smiley

Hmmm... I think she has a habit of re-writing history...
Then again, none of us were in the studio (With the exception of a few members) with the band, so none of us REALLY know who did what.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 04:09:33 PM »

Then again, none of us were in the studio (With the exception of a few members) with the band, so none of us REALLY know who did what.

That's Idiotic

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 09:21:28 PM »

Wow thanks! Do you know what Bruce's involvement was on the Friends album?

Piano on MEANT FOR YOU, probably keyboard on PASSING BY. And vocals, of course.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 10:00:03 PM »

That's Idiotic

Who me? Or Kaye changing history?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 12:43:35 AM »

I'm guessing you've never heard The Smile Sessions, The Pet Sounds Sessions, Hawthorne CA or the Sea Of Tunes tapes. Or seen an American Federation of Musicians Local 47 contract sheet.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 06:36:55 AM »

I'm guessing you've never heard The Smile Sessions, The Pet Sounds Sessions, Hawthorne CA or the Sea Of Tunes tapes. Or seen an American Federation of Musicians Local 47 contract sheet.

Fair enough. I have seen those things. But if things were so set in stone, why would there always be arguments over personnel?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 06:43:14 AM »

Fair enough. I have seen those things. But if things were so set in stone, why would there always be arguments over personnel?

Not aware of any arguments, except from a certain legendary female bassist/guitarist, and from the occasional "expert" fan (not so much on this board) who read in a book once-upon-a-time that Brian began using Los Angeles session musicians in 1963, and therefore believes none of the guys played on the records after that point.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 06:12:25 PM »

OK, my main question was, and maybe this wasn't clear, but who were the session players that played on BBs records after the WC?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 08:20:15 PM »

OK, my main question was, and maybe this wasn't clear, but who were the session players that played on BBs records after the WC?

Too many to list here. But the massive list of credits I put together for the "yearbook" included in the MIC box set listed all that I knew of at the time.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx