gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:11:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is Wrong with Beach Boys Fans?  (Read 16954 times)
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2015, 08:18:32 PM »

Endless Summer Quarterly - real simple. Mr Beard has lost all his credibility as a neutral journalist. What he writes now turns into a hit piece on Brian Wilson that develops into a genuflection in the direction of Mike Love. Why do you think that is?

The Fall 2015 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly:
•  Brian Wilson cover
•  FEATURE 1: Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure
•  FEATURE 2: Brian Wilson - I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
•  FEATURE 3: Brian Wilson - Adult Child

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2015, 08:20:41 PM »

It's late here and I wanted to fix myself a "midnight snack." So I know we have a few nacho chips and I know we have some sour cream in the fridge. So I put a bunch of sour cream in a bowl (it's a courtesy, there's other people in the house and I like to double dip, so I'm not going to go directly into the container). Problem is, I misjudged how many nacho chips were left as I've been doing the same thing for the last few nights. So now, I got this empty bag of nacho chips, and maybe half of my sour cream left, which I can't really put back into the container.

So, at the moment, that's what's wrong with this Beach Boys fan.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2015, 09:09:43 PM »

Endless Summer Quarterly - real simple. Mr Beard has lost all his credibility as a neutral journalist. What he writes now turns into a hit piece on Brian Wilson that develops into a genuflection in the direction of Mike Love. Why do you think that is?

The Fall 2015 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly:
•  Brian Wilson cover
•  FEATURE 1: Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure
•  FEATURE 2: Brian Wilson - I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
•  FEATURE 3: Brian Wilson - Adult Child

LOL

I'll be buying this one!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2015, 09:44:41 PM »

I think the reason you see the vociferousness of these attacks is because of how much people really care. Somewhere along the line this band struck a deep chord with us and we all think of the Beach Boys as our own and nobody better f*** with 'em. Lest of all another fan. I'm absolutely sure that many people on this board care more about this than Brian or Mike do.

I think Mike likes to tour and be his own boss of his own band. And Brian likes to create beautiful music and be left alone but tours because it keeps him healthy and motivated. Once upon a time, both these needs were satisfied by The Beach Boys. Now...for one group it's an asset and the other it's an annoyance. And each fan falls somewhere in between the two camps. The difference is, each actual camp has at least a begrudging respect for the other...except a lot of the fans more towards their one preferred side who make it personal or take their fanboy/apologism to absurd levels.

Somewhere in the middle are people like CenturyDeprived who are just raising the legitimate truth: Brian's f***ed up but we forgive him because he's suffered more than enough to atone for any sins he's committed and comes off like a chill guy in interviews. Mike f***ed up and most don't forgive him because he has never to our knowledge apologized or admitted any regret and continues to put his foot in his mouth. But even stating that simple observation is considered an attack by the guys in his camp. That's the issue. That's why people like OP are so fed up. And it's not even a situation where both sides are at fault. It's one where the one side digs its own grave and we are haters for politely trying to point it out.

I've thought about this. During the January 1969 sessions for what would have been the Get Back album John Lennon told George Harrison "I'm loathe to play any of your songs" to his face. The songs George was trying to demo to the group include future classics like "All Things Must Pass" and "Isn't it a Pity". Lennon also couldn't be bothered to play on George's songs during this period. These incidents are discussed among Beatles fans and most agree in hindsight that John was in the wrong...but I never see fans actively harp on these incidents (and there are plenty more like them in the Beatles history). Usually the attitude is "Well, what do you want? They've known each other since they were kids and they were just young guys in their 20's, and it's not like they hated each other".

In Beach Boys fandom, there's a certain segment who just fixate on similar issues. I tend to have the Beatle fan approach to it which is "So what? They were basically kids. What group doesn't argue or not see to eye to eye. Big deal." I think there tends to be this perception of Brian that he was just so fragile that any negativity hurled his way caused him to whither on the vine. That doesn't seem to be supported by what we hear on most of the session material. He seems pretty in command to me. All of the guys are giving him crap and he gives it right back. But even going back to the garage tapes bootleg, the Beach Boys talk to each other like high school athletes in a locker room, Brian included. Is it any wonder? They basically were.  

John shitting on George's songs did nor alter their history in the way the  accusations laid against Mike altered BB history.
Are us pro-Brian people really as unreasonable as we are being accused of?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2015, 10:36:01 PM »

Before I came here I never took Mike's side on anything, but being a Beach Boys fan first and foremost, I hate to see any of the guys getting trashed like they do in here. Every member of the band had a role to play in their successes and their failures. While I don't mind discussing their history and their personalities, I'll be damned if I'm going to come here and argue with people about stuff that happened that cannot be changed. The best posts out of this whole exercise was getting Debbie's & Stephen's perspective about what was happening, as they were around and personally knew Brian and the guys. I learned more and received a better perspective from their comments then from all the arguing and carrying on. I honestly feel blessed that I have the music of the Beach Boys in my life. It has literally been a part of my every day living since 1964. It supplies me with joy and peace. I wish discussing them in here did the same thing.

A fine post DrBB. Much the same here (only 1976).

“We live in divisive times.”
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2015, 11:00:59 PM »

You would have to ask them. Maybe they tire of arguing the same old BS. How often do we get to discuss the music these days on here?

As often as you like. Start a thread and talk about the music. There's no one stopping you. I've no idea why you continually visit threads that you don't like and make comments.  Personally I think it would be quite one dimensional if all that we talked about was the music.

I'm surprised you don't bitch more often about how often Mike keeps bringing up the same old things but for some reason you want to continue to bitch about posters bringing up the same old things. Strange.

EoL

Is it as strange as people who visit a band's msg board everyday just to spout about how much they dislike a certain bandmember? I feel no need to join a Justin Beiber or One Direction board just so I can continually let others know how much I despise them.
I enjoy discussing other aspects of the band besides the music but when it comes to Mike it all becomes rather pointless. Nobody is ever going to convince the other that they are wrong, it just turns into an exercise in who can shout the loudest. A whole bunch of conjecture, wildly differing historical recollections and viewpoints being held up as evidence and this strange knack of people determined to hold Mike accountable to something, ANYTHING!
I actually do have an idea for a music based thread but feel it would be overlooked in the current climate so have not bothered.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2015, 11:05:45 PM »

You would have to ask them. Maybe they tire of arguing the same old BS. How often do we get to discuss the music these days on here?

As often as you like. Start a thread and talk about the music. There's no one stopping you. I've no idea why you continually visit threads that you don't like and make comments.  Personally I think it would be quite one dimensional if all that we talked about was the music.

I'm surprised you don't bitch more often about how often Mike keeps bringing up the same old things but for some reason you want to continue to bitch about posters bringing up the same old things. Strange.

EoL

Is it as strange as people who visit a band's msg board everyday just to spout about how much they dislike a certain bandmember? I feel no need to join a Justin Beiber or One Direction board just so I can continually let others know how much I despise them.
I enjoy discussing other aspects of the band besides the music but when it comes to Mike it all becomes rather pointless. Nobody is ever going to convince the other that they are wrong, it just turns into an exercise in who can shout the loudest. A whole bunch of conjecture, wildly differing historical recollections and viewpoints being held up as evidence and this strange knack of people determined to hold Mike accountable to something, ANYTHING!
I actually do have an idea for a music based thread but feel it would be overlooked in the current climate so have not bothered.

I recognise this too. I've been reluctant to post in some threads simply because I'm pretty sure the thread will soon deteriorate into something snide, personal, offensive and derailed.

Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2015, 11:10:03 PM »

I think the reason you see the vociferousness of these attacks is because of how much people really care. Somewhere along the line this band struck a deep chord with us and we all think of the Beach Boys as our own and nobody better f*** with 'em. Lest of all another fan. I'm absolutely sure that many people on this board care more about this than Brian or Mike do.

I think Mike likes to tour and be his own boss of his own band. And Brian likes to create beautiful music and be left alone but tours because it keeps him healthy and motivated. Once upon a time, both these needs were satisfied by The Beach Boys. Now...for one group it's an asset and the other it's an annoyance. And each fan falls somewhere in between the two camps. The difference is, each actual camp has at least a begrudging respect for the other...except a lot of the fans more towards their one preferred side who make it personal or take their fanboy/apologism to absurd levels.

Somewhere in the middle are people like CenturyDeprived who are just raising the legitimate truth: Brian's f***ed up but we forgive him because he's suffered more than enough to atone for any sins he's committed and comes off like a chill guy in interviews. Mike f***ed up and most don't forgive him because he has never to our knowledge apologized or admitted any regret and continues to put his foot in his mouth. But even stating that simple observation is considered an attack by the guys in his camp. That's the issue. That's why people like OP are so fed up. And it's not even a situation where both sides are at fault. It's one where the one side digs its own grave and we are haters for politely trying to point it out.

I've thought about this. During the January 1969 sessions for what would have been the Get Back album John Lennon told George Harrison "I'm loathe to play any of your songs" to his face. The songs George was trying to demo to the group include future classics like "All Things Must Pass" and "Isn't it a Pity". Lennon also couldn't be bothered to play on George's songs during this period. These incidents are discussed among Beatles fans and most agree in hindsight that John was in the wrong...but I never see fans actively harp on these incidents (and there are plenty more like them in the Beatles history). Usually the attitude is "Well, what do you want? They've known each other since they were kids and they were just young guys in their 20's, and it's not like they hated each other".

In Beach Boys fandom, there's a certain segment who just fixate on similar issues. I tend to have the Beatle fan approach to it which is "So what? They were basically kids. What group doesn't argue or not see to eye to eye. Big deal." I think there tends to be this perception of Brian that he was just so fragile that any negativity hurled his way caused him to whither on the vine. That doesn't seem to be supported by what we hear on most of the session material. He seems pretty in command to me. All of the guys are giving him crap and he gives it right back. But even going back to the garage tapes bootleg, the Beach Boys talk to each other like high school athletes in a locker room, Brian included. Is it any wonder? They basically were.  

John shitting on George's songs did nor alter their history in the way the  accusations laid against Mike altered BB history.
Are us pro-Brian people really as unreasonable as we are being accused of?

Pray tell, how did the "accusations" (read: facts) against Mike alter history?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2015, 11:55:06 PM »

Sigh…

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2015, 11:59:24 PM »

Just my opinion...

The reason the Beach Boys fans fight so much stems back to Brian's illness.

Brian was the sh*t, I mean, he was the MAN, an unbelievably gifted, articulate, beautiful, talented, genius-level musician making stuff the world had never seen before.  

From where we sit now, we can all see that.... and then in the mid 60's, his illness took over, and ruined the entire thing.  Drugs and family problems were part of it, but generally it was the illness, and mental illness is very unfair.  

It's f***ed up , and unfair that mental illness took Brian from us at his peak and left us with a damaged Brian who still had flashes of his brilliance, but for most of the time appears to be unhappy, withdrawn, and even in pain at times.

There's nothing fair about that, we all hate it, and so people lash out and do crazy sh*t and say crazy sh*t because of the emotion involved in all of that, which is at the very core of the band.  To understand and love the band, you ultimately have to realize that Brian stopped being full-on, bad-ass, genius son-of-God Brian in the 60's and the whole thing pisses us all off.

In the bible, there's this section where they're talking about what burning in hell is going to be like, and it makes sure to mention that from Hell, you can see Heaven.... which permanently reminds you of what you're missing out on.... which is what makes Hell Hell.  

So people that really love the band, and really get into it, are living, in that regard, in a personal hell on one level, because we can all see what Brian once was, and we all see him from time to time do that 'thing' that he was so good at... but we have to accept that he'll never be the same.  

I personally think that's the reason there's so much turmoil between the fans.  Just my opinion.  
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2015, 12:14:20 AM »

Sigh…

Is that aimed at me, sir? I merely asked a simple question

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2015, 12:29:28 AM »

Just my opinion...

Brian was the sh*t, I mean, he was the MAN, an unbelievably gifted, articulate, beautiful, talented, genius-level musician making stuff the world had never seen before.  

From where we sit now, we can all see that.... and then in the mid 60's, his illness took over, and ruined the entire thing.  Drugs and family problems were part of it, but generally it was the illness, and mental illness is very unfair.  

It's f***ed up , and unfair that mental illness took Brian from us at his peak and left us with a damaged Brian who still had flashes of his brilliance, but for most of the time appears to be unhappy, withdrawn, and even in pain at times.

There's nothing fair about that, we all hate it, and so people lash out and do crazy sh*t and say crazy sh*t because of the emotion involved in all of that, which is at the very core of the band.  To understand and love the band, you ultimately have to realize that Brian stopped being full-on, bad-ass, genius son-of-God Brian in the 60's and the whole thing pisses us all off.

In the bible, there's this section where they're talking about what burning in hell is going to be like, and it makes sure to mention that from Hell, you can see Heaven.... which permanently reminds you of what you're missing out on.... which is what makes Hell Hell.  

So people that really love the band, and really get into it, are living, in that regard, in a personal hell on one level, because we can all see what Brian once was, and we all see him from time to time do that 'thing' that he was so good at... but we have to accept that he'll never be the same.  

I personally think that's the reason there's so much turmoil between the fans.  Just my opinion.  

Very eloquent. I just think Brian led them to a certain point but once he lost his way, his followers disagreed on where to go next. One faction clung to the beach and nostalgia as in keeping best with what he started, the other sought to continue his growth in artistry and production techniques. A great schism of Brianism, if you will. And Carl got bitter and withdrawn when his interpretation was seemingly invalidated and now Mike's gotten defensive and ornery because his interpretation brings no respect. There was just something unique about Brian, especially in the 60s, where he could push boundaries while still appealing to the masses. The first time he doubted himself--SMiLE--he lost his read on the pulse of the public and neither he nor they truly found it again. They did for some of us here and there but never all of us at the same time Again. And this disagreement with what made that music so indespensible is what defines Beach Boys fans.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2015, 01:34:52 AM »

@Ron and Mujan.....your latest contributions nail it. Anyone wondering about BW or The BB can see it in your writings. Thank you. It really clarifies things. Sometimes, the SS pages can make for gruelling reading, when all I want is more info on Brian or BB releases or tours.  But these summarise the whole thing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2015, 05:10:57 AM »

The original poster's account is banned indefinitely due to personal attacks in the post.

We haven't seen a rant like this since the R&R Hall of Fame in 88! LOL

And Andy Doe (in the Bob Dylan role) says ""I want to thank Nathan R. Jessup for not mentioning me".

Oddly, once I'd stopped wetting myself laughing at the original post, and the inevitable ovine chorus of approval, that was exactly my thought, and I'm not entirely sure if I should be relieved or deeply offended at this omission. Think I'll settle for bemused indifference.

Of course, there's always the possibility that I was trolling under one of my many flags of convenience and clean forgot about it... but I think not. If I'd written such a poorly conceived, badly worded and jerry-built diatribe, I'd be deeply ashamed of myself. We seem to be having something of a spate of such trolls. Entirely unnecessary, we have more than enough as it is.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2015, 06:25:43 AM »

Or perhaps OP was one of those "paid trolls" that some folks wax conspiracy theory about on here...

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2015, 06:32:32 AM »

Almost seems like the fans of this band are as crazy as the band itself. All this over The Beach Boys. ain't that something
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 06:40:39 AM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2015, 07:34:42 AM »

Ron , I think that was an excellent post that raised some important points.In my own opinion I think it's the nature of the internet that people will say things on a message board that they would never say to some ones face . To me there is a real cowardly aspect to the whole thing
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2015, 08:00:13 AM »

What? You mean people on the internet are little more than keyboard warriors wielding their good old AK-QWERTY7s? Next you're probably going to tell me that I can't gain wealth by sending chain emails to five of my friends!

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2015, 08:09:20 AM »

Ron , I think that was an excellent post that raised some important points.In my own opinion I think it's the nature of the internet that people will say things on a message board that they would never say to some ones face . To me there is a real cowardly aspect to the whole thing

Agreed. And I also think this is how certain people use the media as well.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2015, 09:26:43 AM »

Thank you for illustrating my point
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2015, 09:34:04 AM »

Just my opinion...

Ron - while there is a lot you say that is correct, one of the biggest problems, as I see it, is that some posters aren't using the proper timely lens.  Second, they conveniently ignore, that judgments about the eras prior to Brian's bona fide diagnosis and treatment, had occurred well prior to that which was  set into motion by Melinda.  People had little, poor, or no understanding and treatment about such issues.  Read the desperation of hiring (and putting faith in a charlatan such as Landy.) And before the wonders of neuroscience.

The lack of information about addiction was just as bad.  And people, tend to be judgmental about what others should have done.  Everyone did their best.  It isn't good enough for some people. It was 1965.  Not 2015. And it is largely an inappropriate topic for public discussion.  I find it voyeuristic. That is Brian's personal business and not fodder for discussion on a forum dedicated to music discussion.  And this is not the Smile board but the Smiley Smile board. Smiley Smile was a creation of The Beach Boys.

Should a group of business partners, who, as a part of the business, get a say on business and creative matters? You bet. It is their job. One incorporates to work "collectively" to arrive at a business product for a business purpose, and one that gets a "veil of protection" from certain liabilities.  And, the corporation has to gauge what will make a profit.  Mr. Desper said something about the creativity and artistry getting converted to the business end.

That Trumpian diatribe cracked me up.  Trump is right about a lot of stuff.  This has zero to with "picking on the women" and everything to do with coming to the table with the facts. "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen." (That includes men.)

Some posters don't want to assess blame to the record company (who are probably on good terms "now") and to support that, I found direct quotes relating to the music industry working AGAINST the band.  And interviews on YouTube.  Quotes from Brian, Mike and Bruce with regard Capitol falsely representing them as a surf band, when they had taken a 180 degree turn.  

And YouTube interviews from Paris, with Mike, Carl and Dennis reflecting on the same issue that they were being stereotyped by the record company. A French issue of Smiley has a photo of them in grey suits with Brian, Dennis, Carl, Al and Mike, circa 1964.  It was their job, to fairly represent the image and work that the band wanted and not perpetuate a myth and false narrative about the band.  The tail was wagging the dog.  

So what is the truth here? The truth is assessing each era through a fair lens, that is related in time.  It isn't judging 1965 from 2015.

And, Nate, just to refresh your memory, I post on most shows I see, regardless of who is on stage.  Check the BBB out. One exception is the recent fantastic Brian show I saw, with Al and Blondie.  The BBB was very upset about the cancellation of the UK Brian tour. It was an electric and exciting show, which I wanted to share. Out of respect for the fact that they would not see Brian as expected, did I decide to not write on BBB.  BBB has a lovely group of both BB/BW fans who respect one another and who are generous to allow other non-UK members.  

Some here, could learn about respect from them.

Great weekend all!  Brian, Dennis, & Carl
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 09:44:57 AM by filledeplage » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2015, 10:17:01 AM »

The original poster's account is banned indefinitely due to personal attacks in the post.

We haven't seen a rant like this since the R&R Hall of Fame in 88! LOL

And Andy Doe (in the Bob Dylan role) says ""I want to thank Nathan R. Jessup for not mentioning me".

Oddly, once I'd stopped wetting myself laughing at the original post, and the inevitable ovine chorus of approval, that was exactly my thought, and I'm not entirely sure if I should be relieved or deeply offended at this omission. Think I'll settle for bemused indifference.

Grin

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2015, 01:15:39 PM »

I think "what's wrong with Beach Boys fans" is since we are dealing with a largely defunct group, sometimes there is not much else to do but backbite and nitpick on each other.  Also I do think it is kinda lame to blame most of Brian's problems on Mike, just as it would be lame to blame Mike's problems on Brian.  I don't personally think that Smile was going to be some harbinger of a new creative upswing for Brian, post-Smile.  I think, with Smile, he had pretty much taken his sound to the limit, experimentation-wise.  I think Smile would have been somewhat successful chart-wise, but that their path and fate was largely sealed just by the changing times in music.

But the music done after Pet Sounds through Holland by this group was mostly fantastic and sorely under-rated.  In that sense, while I enjoy listening to the Smile Sessions, I never do it with the sense of we were deprived of further great music because it was not released in its time.  Because we weren't.

I don't really know why there is such harshness between Beach Boys fans.  Doesn't seem to exemplify the Love and Mercy wishes of one Brian Wilson.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2015, 01:49:07 PM »

There's a little bit of a Brian/ Mike (and the rest of the band) personality in everybody. It comes out  to raise some hell occasionally just like it does for the Beach Boys themselves.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2015, 01:49:56 PM »

I think "what's wrong with Beach Boys fans" is since we are dealing with a largely defunct group, sometimes there is not much else to do but backbite and nitpick on each other.  Also I do think it is kinda lame to blame most of Brian's problems on Mike, just as it would be lame to blame Mike's problems on Brian.  I don't personally think that Smile was going to be some harbinger of a new creative upswing for Brian, post-Smile.  I think, with Smile, he had pretty much taken his sound to the limit, experimentation-wise.  I think Smile would have been somewhat successful chart-wise, but that their path and fate was largely sealed just by the changing times in music.

But the music done after Pet Sounds through Holland by this group was mostly fantastic and sorely under-rated.  In that sense, while I enjoy listening to the Smile Sessions, I never do it with the sense of we were deprived of further great music because it was not released in its time.  Because we weren't.

I don't really know why there is such harshness between Beach Boys fans.  Doesn't seem to exemplify the Love and Mercy wishes of one Brian Wilson.

I think they would have done what all the big groups that trh ansitioned into psychedelia did and went back to the basics. Something like Wild Honey probably, but I like to believe they still would have done a Smiley Smile type album first as a real counterpoint to what they had just done, and what everyone else was doing. I think the difference is, had SMiLE come out, they would have been able to do what they did with their reputation still intact and been a smother transition between the Brian years and collaborative ones. Also...I think it's likely SMiLE would be considered the best album of the rock era, not Pepper, so that would serve to keep their prestige going into the future.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx