gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 05:16:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is Wrong with Beach Boys Fans?  (Read 17069 times)
Nathan P. Jessup
« on: August 21, 2015, 10:47:26 AM »

I'll answer the question. You want answers?

Let’s start with a look at what has transpired over the last few months or so and then get to the current business at hand. It has been quite an enlightening summer, sitting back and reading the unrelenting trashing of Brian Wilson from the same small group of zealots over several different internet sites, starting here at SmileySmile, and including the Mike and Bruce fan site Beach Boys (sorry to say) Britain, Endless Summer Quarterly and even Facebook.

Just in the last few days it has been a week of remarkable hypocrisy of the highest level here on SmileySmile, as well as some new attempted history rewrite, the ridiculously absurd assertion that Kokomo was a stand alone success without the movie Cocktail. Notably, but not limited to, extremist Mike Love fanboy extraordinary, Mikesbeard, who is one of the louder voices of the agenda, droning incessantly negatively on anything related to one Brian Wilson and then denying that fact while calling Wilson’s supporters “fanboys”. His associate therealbeachboy, a guy who used to be a moderator on SS until he let it slip how he really felt about fans who had the gall to criticize Stamos, calling Brian supporters “sociopaths” or some such drivel. Sheriffjohnstone and the Ayatollah of Kokomo, Cam Mott, defenders of anything Love are the standout wankers in a sea of anti Wilson wankery.  Then, they state unequivocally that they have no agenda, no hate for Brian Wilson.  

Let’s have a look at the evidence, shall we? Wade deeply into the history of all their posts on SmileySmile. Have a look at the evidence for yourselves, dive in headfirst and browse the posting histories of these favoured posters, mikesbeard, realbeachboy, sheriffjohnstone. Watch the story unfold page by page if you accept the challenge.

Now you see mikesbeard and the lot of them in their own right. Judge these hypocrites from what they have said and continue to say. It was also seen on SmileySmile that it did not take long for mikesbeard to restart attacking poster Debbie KL. Sounds like he and a few of his compatriots, like Nicko123456, a guy who has been kicked off almost every Beach Boys/Brian Wilson related website yet has still been writing on Beach Boys Britain, have a serious "woman problem". They attack Debbie KL, they attack Ang Jones, and her sister. I note they never attack filledeplage as she is endlessly and relentlessly promoting the touring band from gig to gig on the east coast of the United States. No coincidence. Something must be terribly wrong with the water up there in Great Yarmouth as well the City of Salford. Consider this Facebook post from one of those named above:  "Brian's band. Fanboys with guitars." No agenda there? As for the rest, it is no coincidence that they all show up en masse to clog up those threads when called out with the facts or to try and denigrate anything associated with Brian Wilson.

Beach Boys Britain? Nothing more than the “go to” website for the Mike and Bruce fan base. Don’t deny it, embrace it for what it is. This is an obvious fact to anyone rational. Who really wrote the post suggesting UK fans take legal action against Brian Wilson and his management team for the postponement of the UK tour?

Endless Summer Quarterly - real simple. Mr Beard has lost all his credibility as a neutral journalist. What he writes now turns into a hit piece on Brian Wilson that develops into a genuflection in the direction of Mike Love. Why do you think that is?

Now listen up. You need to get this through your collective heads, all of you. The touring band is not The Beach Boys. If you think it is, dream on. Mike Love pays to license the name from BRI, he does not own the name and he is not the lone representative of The Beach Boys and their music. One either rents or owns, and Mike pays rent.  If you truly believe that band (which is quite capable) is The Beach Boys then you never experienced or do not understand the real Beach Boys circa 1964 to, say, 1977 (and I would include the C50 configuration), or you require extensive psychiatric care and there is very little hope for you as you are a zealot blinded by your own twisted ideology.

No matter how much gobshit is thrown at you on the Beach Boys Britain Mike and Bruce fansite, telling you Pisces Brothers is a crowd favourite (no, it is sh*t) and the audiences are in awe (no, they are bored), or that Stamos is important in the history of The Beach Boys (he is a pimple on the ass of The Beach Boys), or that there is nothing wrong with Summer in Paradise  the worst record ever made by anybody), the facts remain set in stone: with Carl and Dennis gone, no Brian, no Al and no Blondie = not the Beach Boys.  That is the truth, and if you cannot accept this simple fact then you can’t handle the truth.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 11:01:05 AM »

Hell yes Jessup, this small group of Mike Love fanboys are really a pain. They will do anything nasty to defend this nasal clown of a man.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 11:16:27 AM »

I think this post does a brilliant job of exposing much that is wrong with this board. It's like a mirror…

You got the Stamos bit right though… Sad

“We live in divisive times.”
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 11:44:20 AM »

It's remarkable how much people care about this. It really speaks volumes for what the music means to us all.

But I don't know of any other fan base SO extremely divided. So divided to the point that someone like myself that appreciates both "sides" is not really accepted by either for that sole purpose alone.

On a live stage (and a live stage ONLY) I think those most crucial to creating a live Beach Boys experience should be considered on the following scale of importance

1. Mike Love- He is what the world thinks of when they think Beach Boys on stage, whether we like it or not.
2. Brian Wilson- He is what most of us dream of when we think Beach Boys on stage. To the general public, they clearly don't care. Why else would M&B sell out at venues that Brian does not sell out?
3. Al Jardine- He is the secret weapon of legitimacy. Not because of his name, or his duration in the band, but because of that amazingly well kept voice of his.
4. David Marks- He's the odd one. I truthfully cannot tell if David wants to participate with any touring band fulltime. I think it means more to us than it does to him.
5. Bruce Johnston- Let's face it...Bruce is kind of the original faceless Beach Boy. His swap on the live scene in '65 and his sticking with the band is largely responsible for why Brian Wilson is number two on this list.

So right now, The Beach Boys have the most and least important living members in the band, according to my scale...while Brian's band maintains #2 and #3. So what's the answer? There isn't much time. If you love the music, see and hear who you can while you can because we can all agree on one thing:

It cannot get any better.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 11:45:46 AM »

Hi all,

When people start taking things too seriously they should take a break.  I feel bad when Ang and Debbie are attacked.  I have found out that if anyone staunchly defneds Brian, Mike or any of the fans one dislikes they get reprimanded.  Each BB has his faults.  Every fan has something they don't like about themselves.  Yet to hvae it broadcasted isn't right.  I know that we are all entitled to our opinions and are able to post freely.  Yet one should watch what they say/type and how they say/type it.  Earlier this year on The Talk the topic was conversations.  Carnie was a Guest Co-Host that day.  She said it isn't just waht you say it is also how you say it.  I always make sure that I watch The Talk when she is on.  I have received lots of help from her.  

I hope that all of you have a fun filled weekend!!!    
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 12:23:13 PM »

I burst out laughing at the "Ayatollah of Kokomo" title for Cam. Well stated, sir  LOL

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 12:32:52 PM »

The original poster's account is banned indefinitely due to personal attacks in the post.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 12:38:10 PM »

The original poster's account is banned indefinitely due to personal attacks in the post.

Dang:/ maybe calling people out personally wasn't the best idea, but I do see his point

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 12:43:21 PM »

I refuse to get drawn in to the argument properly but I think it can be seen both ways. Sure, there are those on here who love Mike, defend him, dislike Brian but equally there are people who hate everything if it isn't Brian and his band. A good BB live video will get far less praise than a good Brian video. Sometimes unfairly. I've seen both bands in recent years and felt far more 'involved' in the music at the BB gig than the Brian gig. I think because it was far more interactive. Back to my point though, I see posts from both sides of the argument and they are both as loud as each other. Sometimes they make stupid posts but as members of this board they are entitled to have their favourites.

You are right, with no Brian or Al there is no 'Beach Boys' but for me as soon as Carl died the band could never really exist anymore.  Yes Brian was the mastermind and the founder but it was Carl who kept the band going. That being said, BOTH bands do a very good job at keeping the fans happy and to say either one of them are sub-standard in any way is just plain rubbish and insulting I think.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 12:45:14 PM »

I struggle to comprehend how we not only tear into members of our favourite band on a personal basis but also rip apart each other in even worse terms. The original post was pretty appalling … but I don't see an end in sight.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 12:47:40 PM »

I've seen both bands in recent years and felt far more 'involved' in the music at the BB gig than the Brian gig. I think because it was far more interactive.

He pointed at you, didn't he.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 12:48:08 PM »

BOTH bands do a very good job at keeping the fans happy and to say either one of them are sub-standard in any way is just plain rubbish and insulting I think.

Well said

CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 12:50:36 PM »

John, I agree, as part of the Beach Boys 'blew it, blew it consistently' mentality, I don't think this bickering will ever end! It's a great shame as we all joined here to talk about the band we love so much, not make personal attacks on band members or posters. It's easy for people to make personal attacks on people behind a computer screen, which is so wrong.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 12:52:51 PM »

Ontor, yes he did....!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 12:54:01 PM »

Personal attacks, really?  I read some name calling/describing what some folks do, in his opinion, but I didn't sense real attacks

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 12:56:14 PM »

Personal attacks, really?  I read some name calling/describing what some folks do, in his opinion, but I didn't sense real attacks

Nothing worse than what other posters dish out at each other all the time, at least.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
rogerlancelot
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 12:57:13 PM »

I totally agree with Nathan. It was a great post but it's only a matter of time before this thread disappears.

EDIT: Reading it again, maybe calling out specific posters was definitely wrong but there are some really good points he made. Unfortunately, he took the low road and possibly offended some people.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:16:34 PM by Roger The Shrubber » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 01:01:51 PM »

Jessup won the board today! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 01:09:51 PM »

Jessup won the board today! Cool

And won a one way ticket out of this place to boot!! Smiley

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 01:12:16 PM »

I think the reason you see the vociferousness of these attacks is because of how much people really care. Somewhere along the line this band struck a deep chord with us and we all think of the Beach Boys as our own and nobody better f*** with 'em. Lest of all another fan. I'm absolutely sure that many people on this board care more about this than Brian or Mike do.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 01:36:24 PM »

I think the reason you see the vociferousness of these attacks is because of how much people really care. Somewhere along the line this band struck a deep chord with us and we all think of the Beach Boys as our own and nobody better f*** with 'em. Lest of all another fan. I'm absolutely sure that many people on this board care more about this than Brian or Mike do.

I think Mike likes to tour and be his own boss of his own band. And Brian likes to create beautiful music and be left alone but tours because it keeps him healthy and motivated. Once upon a time, both these needs were satisfied by The Beach Boys. Now...for one group it's an asset and the other it's an annoyance. And each fan falls somewhere in between the two camps. The difference is, each actual camp has at least a begrudging respect for the other...except a lot of the fans more towards their one preferred side who make it personal or take their fanboy/apologism to absurd levels.

Somewhere in the middle are people like CenturyDeprived who are just raising the legitimate truth: Brian's f***ed up but we forgive him because he's suffered more than enough to atone for any sins he's committed and comes off like a chill guy in interviews. Mike f***ed up and most don't forgive him because he has never to our knowledge apologized or admitted any regret and continues to put his foot in his mouth. But even stating that simple observation is considered an attack by the guys in his camp. That's the issue. That's why people like OP are so fed up. And it's not even a situation where both sides are at fault. It's one where the one side digs its own grave and we are haters for politely trying to point it out.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:37:40 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 01:56:42 PM »

LOL at this thread.  My only contribution is a reminder that good psychiatric help is out there and available to anyone honest enough to recognize he/she has a problem.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 02:00:07 PM »

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 02:01:48 PM »

LOL at this thread.  My only contribution is a reminder that good psychiatric help is out there and available to anyone honest enough to recognize he/she has a problem.

We're all special! Wink

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 02:17:07 PM »

Haha! Cheers for the shoutout Nathan. So I 'drone incessantly negatively on anything related to one Brian Wilson' and that I 'state unequivocally that I have no agenda, no hate for Brian Wilson'? My agenda is simple - if I like music I buy it, if I don't then I won't. Don't confuse what I may think about a section of d*ckhead fans with my views on the big man himself. Go back and read my posts - all 3968 of them and you'll see that you can count on both hands all my 'anti Brian' talk and still have fingers to spare.
PS, thinking somebody's album is rubbish does not count.
PPS, don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:44:54 PM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx