gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:19:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is Wrong with Beach Boys Fans?  (Read 17039 times)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2015, 01:59:54 PM »

I'll answer the question. You want answers?

Let’s start with a look at what has transpired over the last few months or so and then get to the current business at hand. It has been quite an enlightening summer, sitting back and reading the unrelenting trashing of Brian Wilson from the same small group of zealots over several different internet sites, starting here at SmileySmile, and including the Mike and Bruce fan site Beach Boys (sorry to say) Britain, Endless Summer Quarterly and even Facebook.

Just in the last few days it has been a week of remarkable hypocrisy of the highest level here on SmileySmile, as well as some new attempted history rewrite, the ridiculously absurd assertion that Kokomo was a stand alone success without the movie Cocktail. Notably, but not limited to, extremist Mike Love fanboy extraordinary, Mikesbeard, who is one of the louder voices of the agenda, droning incessantly negatively on anything related to one Brian Wilson and then denying that fact while calling Wilson’s supporters “fanboys”. His associate therealbeachboy, a guy who used to be a moderator on SS until he let it slip how he really felt about fans who had the gall to criticize Stamos, calling Brian supporters “sociopaths” or some such drivel. Sheriffjohnstone and the Ayatollah of Kokomo, Cam Mott, defenders of anything Love are the standout wankers in a sea of anti Wilson wankery.  Then, they state unequivocally that they have no agenda, no hate for Brian Wilson.  

Let’s have a look at the evidence, shall we? Wade deeply into the history of all their posts on SmileySmile. Have a look at the evidence for yourselves, dive in headfirst and browse the posting histories of these favoured posters, mikesbeard, realbeachboy, sheriffjohnstone. Watch the story unfold page by page if you accept the challenge.

Now you see mikesbeard and the lot of them in their own right. Judge these hypocrites from what they have said and continue to say. It was also seen on SmileySmile that it did not take long for mikesbeard to restart attacking poster Debbie KL. Sounds like he and a few of his compatriots, like Nicko123456, a guy who has been kicked off almost every Beach Boys/Brian Wilson related website yet has still been writing on Beach Boys Britain, have a serious "woman problem". They attack Debbie KL, they attack Ang Jones, and her sister. I note they never attack filledeplage as she is endlessly and relentlessly promoting the touring band from gig to gig on the east coast of the United States. No coincidence. Something must be terribly wrong with the water up there in Great Yarmouth as well the City of Salford. Consider this Facebook post from one of those named above:  "Brian's band. Fanboys with guitars." No agenda there? As for the rest, it is no coincidence that they all show up en masse to clog up those threads when called out with the facts or to try and denigrate anything associated with Brian Wilson.

Beach Boys Britain? Nothing more than the “go to” website for the Mike and Bruce fan base. Don’t deny it, embrace it for what it is. This is an obvious fact to anyone rational. Who really wrote the post suggesting UK fans take legal action against Brian Wilson and his management team for the postponement of the UK tour?

Endless Summer Quarterly - real simple. Mr Beard has lost all his credibility as a neutral journalist. What he writes now turns into a hit piece on Brian Wilson that develops into a genuflection in the direction of Mike Love. Why do you think that is?

Now listen up. You need to get this through your collective heads, all of you. The touring band is not The Beach Boys. If you think it is, dream on. Mike Love pays to license the name from BRI, he does not own the name and he is not the lone representative of The Beach Boys and their music. One either rents or owns, and Mike pays rent.  If you truly believe that band (which is quite capable) is The Beach Boys then you never experienced or do not understand the real Beach Boys circa 1964 to, say, 1977 (and I would include the C50 configuration), or you require extensive psychiatric care and there is very little hope for you as you are a zealot blinded by your own twisted ideology.

No matter how much gobshit is thrown at you on the Beach Boys Britain Mike and Bruce fansite, telling you Pisces Brothers is a crowd favourite (no, it is sh*t) and the audiences are in awe (no, they are bored), or that Stamos is important in the history of The Beach Boys (he is a pimple on the ass of The Beach Boys), or that there is nothing wrong with Summer in Paradise  the worst record ever made by anybody), the facts remain set in stone: with Carl and Dennis gone, no Brian, no Al and no Blondie = not the Beach Boys.  That is the truth, and if you cannot accept this simple fact then you can’t handle the truth.

This is almost as good as Mike's RRHOF speech! Wink
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2015, 02:05:32 PM »

I think "what's wrong with Beach Boys fans" is since we are dealing with a largely defunct group, sometimes there is not much else to do but backbite and nitpick on each other.  Also I do think it is kinda lame to blame most of Brian's problems on Mike, just as it would be lame to blame Mike's problems on Brian.  I don't personally think that Smile was going to be some harbinger of a new creative upswing for Brian, post-Smile.  I think, with Smile, he had pretty much taken his sound to the limit, experimentation-wise.  I think Smile would have been somewhat successful chart-wise, but that their path and fate was largely sealed just by the changing times in music.

But the music done after Pet Sounds through Holland by this group was mostly fantastic and sorely under-rated.  In that sense, while I enjoy listening to the Smile Sessions, I never do it with the sense of we were deprived of further great music because it was not released in its time.  Because we weren't.

I don't really know why there is such harshness between Beach Boys fans.  Doesn't seem to exemplify the Love and Mercy wishes of one Brian Wilson.
Mike is not the greatest. Shocked

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2015, 02:16:30 PM »

I think "what's wrong with Beach Boys fans" is since we are dealing with a largely defunct group, sometimes there is not much else to do but backbite and nitpick on each other.  Also I do think it is kinda lame to blame most of Brian's problems on Mike, just as it would be lame to blame Mike's problems on Brian.  I don't personally think that Smile was going to be some harbinger of a new creative upswing for Brian, post-Smile.  I think, with Smile, he had pretty much taken his sound to the limit, experimentation-wise.  I think Smile would have been somewhat successful chart-wise, but that their path and fate was largely sealed just by the changing times in music.

But the music done after Pet Sounds through Holland by this group was mostly fantastic and sorely under-rated.  In that sense, while I enjoy listening to the Smile Sessions, I never do it with the sense of we were deprived of further great music because it was not released in its time.  Because we weren't.

I don't really know why there is such harshness between Beach Boys fans.  Doesn't seem to exemplify the Love and Mercy wishes of one Brian Wilson.

Maybe he meant Michael Corleone or Mike Myers...Or Michael Jordan?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2015, 04:12:24 PM »

Maybe he meant Michael Corleone or Mike Myers...Or Michael Jordan?

Or Michael who is rowing the boat to shore

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2015, 06:02:16 PM »

I just find it amusing that Beach Boys fans think they are the only ones that bicker so passionately and endlessly.  I find it happens among fans of almost every group. The same kind of divides happen among fans of Paul Revere and the Raiders - Mark Lindsay fans think he was the Brian of the group, and the others were just hired hands, didn't play on the records, etc. Mark fans hate Paul, Paul fans hate Mark. Creedence? Same kind of divide - the John Fogerty supporters see Stu Cook and Doug Clifford as guys who just got lucky coasting on John's talent; CCRevisited fans see Fogerty as a bitter, hateful man. And don't get me started on Kinks and Beatles fans. BB fans, you are not alone.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2015, 06:06:42 PM »

Don't forget Pink Floyd fans. You want factions? The pro-Waters and pro-Gilmour crowds butt heads like you wouldn't believe.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2015, 08:28:42 PM »

Don't forget Pink Floyd fans. You want factions? The pro-Waters and pro-Gilmour crowds butt heads like you wouldn't believe.

I still say the Barrett Era is best era. I love their latter stuff too, but as good as Dark Side of the Moon is, I'll pick Piper at the Gates of Dawn any day. Just something about how Syd so effortlessly blended childhood whimsical fantasy with foreboding psychedelic freak out really hits me. Piper is what almost every other psychedelic rock album tries to be but doesn't quite match. And it breaks my heart to think what else Syd might have done. His solo albums and unreleased Floyd songs are amazing too, if only they had better, fuller production.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2015, 12:46:45 AM »

I like Mike.  I like Joel too.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2015, 12:57:33 AM »

Been saying this for decades, as any of my long-term friends will attest, that for whatever arcane reason, some fans feel the need to emulate the band right down to the dumbass arguments.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2015, 03:33:02 AM »

I think it happens amongst 'fans' of other bands/artists. We think we have some deep connection with them; we think we know what they would do and how they would react; we're selective when it comes to evidence - even evidence staring you in face; we dismiss the comments of people who 'were there' (Daro, anybody?) because they don't fit our narrative, whatever that might be; but we are also at the mercy of people who were involved who revise their views or who have played up their own personal disagreements/differences with some of the principals. And then some of us just like to be contrary and get that buzz from seeing our names all over message boards ranting about the same fucking thing, say after day, thread after thread. Some of us even start thread to do this, knowing damn fine it'll enrage Mr Knacker and keep the wound open. As I said elsewhere, Mike wrote The Warmth of the Sun (and many other songs - yeah, Mike and a line here and a line there...); he sang on some of the BB's best music, as did Bruce. FFS, Bruce sang on God Only Knows. It doesn't get better than that. Yes, Mike's been a twat at times and the 80s was a pretty embarrassing time for the band, but you know what, these guys ain't going to be around for much longer, so celebrate the good stuff he did (there's plenty of it) and do what I do - ignore the dross and the BS and the hopeless revisionism AND if you get the chance to see them, go, because it's worth it.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2015, 06:14:39 PM »

I still say the Barrett Era is best era. I love their latter stuff too, but as good as Dark Side of the Moon is, I'll pick Piper at the Gates of Dawn any day. Just something about how Syd so effortlessly blended childhood whimsical fantasy with foreboding psychedelic freak out really hits me. Piper is what almost every other psychedelic rock album tries to be but doesn't quite match. And it breaks my heart to think what else Syd might have done. His solo albums and unreleased Floyd songs are amazing too, if only they had better, fuller production.

Don't forget "See Emily Play"!!!  3D
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2015, 12:25:38 PM »

"See Emily Play" and "Arnold Layne" are my favorite Floyd tracks.
Don't forget "See Emily Play"!!!  3D
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2015, 12:28:08 PM »

I hate Ray Davies. He treated his brother Dave like crap. Barely ever let him get a song on an album, demeaned his guitar playing, insulted him regularly on stage ("on guitar, Mr. Dave 'Death of a Clown' Davis"), Ray is a prick. Great songwriter, showman, better guitar player than he let's on, but absolutely insufferable as a person.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2015, 12:32:33 PM »

The Kinks made the Beach Boys look like The Waltons by comparison.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2015, 02:31:30 PM »

What about Kinks fans ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2015, 10:58:07 PM »

What about Kinks fans ?
Kinks fans are divided - some think Ray walks on water, and that Dave should be thankful he got to play on all those songs Ray wrote; many of us are more sympathetic to the long suffering younger brother, although, to be fair, he can be just as difficult as Ray at times. Actually, if I was gonna hang out with one of the guys for day, I think it would be Mick Avory. Solid, non flashy drummer overshadowed by the flamboyant front men. I used to play drums along with their records, really admired his style. And seems like a down to earth sort that would be easy to talk to.
KDS
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2015, 05:12:34 AM »

Does this still go on? 

I used to go on a few PF sites in the late 90s, but haven't in a long time.  Of course, back then, Rick was still alive and The Division Bell was only a few years old, so there was still hope that Pink Floyd would carry on in some form.  I think Rick Wright's death put a stop to that. 

Personally, I'm a fan of all eras of Floyd, but unfortunately, they ceased to exist by the time I got into them (1996). 

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2015, 07:21:46 AM »

Does this still go on?  

I used to go on a few PF sites in the late 90s, but haven't in a long time.  Of course, back then, Rick was still alive and The Division Bell was only a few years old, so there was still hope that Pink Floyd would carry on in some form.  I think Rick Wright's death put a stop to that.  

Cool
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:43:05 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2015, 08:08:09 AM »

Van Halen fans can give BB, Kinks, and Floyd fans a run for their money. 

The Dave / Sammy debate rages on and on and on.  The one thing they all agree on - nobody liked the Gary Cherone version (I think it stunk, and I'm a fan of Extreme). 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx