gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:35:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Still Crusin Track Order  (Read 6813 times)
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2015, 12:26:51 AM »

I think the waves remix is for Sumahama, not Wipeout
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2015, 07:50:55 AM »

From Still Crusin, I would include Kokamo, Make it Big and Somewhere Near Japan. Then add several Brian Wilson tunes like Let's Go to Heaven in My Car, and 5 of  the top songs from his solo album. Throw in Al's Don't Fight the Sea. And I would include California Dreamin.
My track order would be something like:

Side A
1. One For the Boys
2. Kokamo
-
-
-
(end of A) California Dreamin

Side B
1. Let's Go to Heaven in My Car
2. Don't Fight the Sea
-
-
-
(closing track). Rio Grande

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 06:32:41 AM »

From Still Crusin, I would include Kokamo, Make it Big and Somewhere Near Japan. Then add several Brian Wilson tunes like Let's Go to Heaven in My Car, and 5 of  the top songs from his solo album. Throw in Al's Don't Fight the Sea. And I would include California Dreamin.
My track order would be something like:

Side A
1. One For the Boys
2. Kokamo
-
-
-
(end of A) California Dreamin

Side B
1. Let's Go to Heaven in My Car
2. Don't Fight the Sea
-
-
-
(closing track). Rio Grande

I like this idea.  I've done a few 80s Beach Boys tracklists -- attempting to salvage something of interest from this period, into a cohesive, satisfying listen -- but it's pretty slim pickins, if one limits oneself to just the Beach Boys meager output .  Adding BW'88 to mix ups the ante -- and creates the illusion of real band effort, with Brian at the helm.

KDS
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 01:32:48 PM »

I thought a while back that if Still Cruisin' was ever reissued, the track listing should look like this:

The first seven songs from the original album, then...
8. Chasin' the Sky
9. East Meets West
10. The Air That I Breathe (with Julio Iglesias)
11. Rock & Roll to the Rescue
12. California Dreamin'
13. Lady Liberty
14. Happy Endings
15. Living Doll
16. Don't Worry Baby (with the Everly Brothers)
17. Problem Child
18. Crocodile Rock
19. Kokomo (Spanish Version)

That way, all of the mid 80s to early 90s Beach Boys studio releases (that weren't on the '85 album) are collected on one disc.

I would love to see this is its a tidy way to get all of those songs together without releasing yet another box set. 

Unfortunately, the main reason for the existence of Still Cruisin is so that the label could sell a Beach Boys record with Kokomo on it.  And since Kokomo is easily available on just about every Beach Boys compilation released in the last 25+ years, the label probably figures that Still Cruisin served its purpose and won't spend the time or resources to re-release it. 

hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 07:14:02 AM »

all the additional / alternate song suggestions for a SC re-release I'm reading here are fine with me (I still pull this CD out from time to time for the sake of SOMEWHERE NEAR JAPAN which I think is great, and to a lesser extent IN MY CAR), but IMO one thing is essential--MAKE IT BIG needs to go.  No question.  It is a big turd.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:03:33 PM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2015, 07:51:57 PM »

all the additional / alternate song suggestions for a SC re-release I'm reading here are fine with me (I still pull this CD out from time to time for the sake of SOMEWHERE NEAR JAPAN which I think is great, and to a lesser extent IN MY CAR), but IMO one thing is essential--MAKE IT BIG needs to go.  No question.  It is a big turd.

Make it Big is awesome. Even with the very, very cheesy lyrics by Mike on the verse, Johnny B. Goode and all, I can get past them and just get into the inspirational 80s-ness of it. I non-ironically love this song despite its flaws.

The fadeout alone, of Brian and Mike vocally riffing off each other, is one of the best BB moments of that entire decade.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2015, 09:47:20 PM »

I think the waves remix is for Sumahama, not Wipeout

Quite seriously, the 12inch single of Wipe Out has 2 official release mixes of WipeOut, both differ from the LP ver - Wave One and Wave Two. That is the source of the Dumb Angel Rarities tracks.

There is also another official, although, possibly not "sanctioned" mix available on a comp CD called "12 and 12" or something like that (not to be confused with anything to do with Jeff
Foskett) - the BW vocals are more prominent.! I'm serious.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2015, 07:56:41 PM »

I believe the reason why Chasin' the Sky wasn't on SC was because the Boys didn't own it, or it was owned by a different company and would not be allowed on a Capitol album. My source is an issue of BB STOMP, a Carl Wilson interview. I could try to dig it up of anyone wants me too.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 07:48:51 AM »

I believe the reason why Chasin' the Sky wasn't on SC was because the Boys didn't own it, or it was owned by a different company and would not be allowed on a Capitol album. My source is an issue of BB STOMP, a Carl Wilson interview. I could try to dig it up of anyone wants me too.
That amazes me because 5 years after release it would have made them more money. The SC album sold fairly well. Probably better than the original soundtrack album for the movie.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.