gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 09:57:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Funny Stan Love Story.  (Read 3053 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2015, 09:12:29 PM »

Some gems.

During a game in Milwaukee, The Sun wrote, he slammed home a dunk shot "and then hung from the rim, like Tarzan, as if waiting for a Hollywood talent scout to offer him a contract." All he got was a technical foul.

Once he got into the game, Love hated to leave the spotlight. When subbed, he'd walk down the bench past coach Gene Shue and give him the evil eye. Knocked down in one game, he balked at being replaced and, while sitting on the floor, proceeded to "row" his way off the court, as if by boat.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/nba/bs-sp-daffy-dozen-stan-love-0721-20150720-story.html

Reminds me of someone else.... Wink
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 09:08:47 AM »

Didn't he go ballistic on a ref?  Misread one of the refs hand signals for "trying to give Brian dope?"  Not sure which one it was...

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 03:16:16 PM »

This is as funny as a birdie getting killed by a plane's rotor. In other words, boooring.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 04:16:06 PM »

I can hardly contain myself and generally fall over LMFAO every time I see a birdie in a plane rotor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 04:24:40 PM »

I stand by what I said - it's not "Funny" story as the thread title suggests.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 05:18:57 PM »

It's funny that he thought he was better than Elvin Hayes or Wes Unseld

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 05:35:02 PM »

I stand by what I said - it's not "Funny" story as the thread title suggests.

You just don't see the humor which is Sad

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 05:37:57 PM »

Ask someone about when Steve Love thought he could force Jerry Buss into signing Stan to the Lakers...It's probably a story out there somewhere...Bgas would probably know if it's been told or not...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 06:54:06 PM »

Ask someone about when Steve Love thought he could force Jerry Buss into signing Stan to the Lakers...It's probably a story out there somewhere...Bgas would probably know if it's been told or not...

Wish I could fulfill your faith, but not me. I know next to nothing about the Love Clan. 
Here's another summation of Stan's Career:  http://www.truthaboutit.net/2011/10/bullets-on-stan-love.html

and here's a story on on his temper

>>http://www.wweek.com/story.php?story=5285

STAN LOVE
BY WW EDITORIAL STAFF | newsdesk at wweek.com

There's just no excuse for antics of parents like Stan Love, the father of Lake Oswego basketball phenomenon Kevin Love. The senior Love has run more than a little afoul of what most people would view as acceptable behavior.

Love took issue with Lake Oswego High School coach Mark Shoff last season over the rules concerning missed practices. School regulations state that a player who misses class can't attend after-school practice. Shoff, in turn, says players who miss a practice can't start in the next game.

About three-quarters of the way through last season, Kevin Love came down with mononucleosis. Because he stayed home from school, he couldn't practice and, therefore, didn't start in the next game.

Apparently, the pain of watching his son sit on the bench for the game's first six minutes was more than Stan Love could endure. The next day, he visited the school and began pasting "Fire Shoff" stickers around the gym, according to Kerry Eggers' June 25 Tribune report.

When Shoff called the 15 year-old player into his office to inform him of his father's bizarre behavior, Eggers reports, Stan Love hired a lawyer and took out a restraining order forbidding the coach from communicating with his son, the media or recruiters. He then threatened to transfer Kevin to another school unless Shoff was fired.

When the district called his bluff, Love backed down. It looks like Kevin and Shoff will be together again next November--despite the worst efforts of the ill-named Mr. Love. <<

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 10:55:46 PM »

For all people like to complain about Mike, this shows he could've been a lot, lot, worse.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 11:33:49 PM »

When I was in high school, Stan (then a NBA player with the LA Lakers) used to come down to the Redondo High gym and play summer pick up basketball. While I'll say he was one of the best players I ever played against (and I played against Bill Laimbeer, Dennis Johnson, Reggie Theus, Kiki Vandeweghe, to name a few), he was far and away the most cut throat. Not that he was dirty, just that his elbows were large and sharp. And he frequently planted them with force into my torso. And his team would always win (but I was a 6'6" varsity forward in high school and it was exciting to just play against a NBA player)

Fast forward to the C50 concert in Eugene, OR in 2012 and I bump into Stan backstage. We reminisce a bit about about the Redondo days, and he introduces me to his family. Still, there wasn't much friendly about it; kinda a cold fish is Stan.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 07:36:41 AM »

One of my favorite NBA players of all time was Dennis Rodman, so everything described about Stan Love makes him more likeable to me. Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
halblaineisgood
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 03:07:07 PM »

One of my favorite NBA players of all time was Dennis Rodman, so everything described about Stan Love makes him more likeable to me. Smiley
Rodman was great. And this article was mostly about basketball. Sandbox, anyone?

Baltimore -Sun writes a Stan Love retrospective =sandbox jmho bfbwefjhfk
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 04:09:05 PM »

uh-oh... better do a re-post of this info from the BBFC archives: 

>>STAN LOVE BEACH BOYS POSTERS AND 2000 CALENDAR
 Stan Love (Mike's brother) is currently offering full-color Beach Boys posters and Y2K wall calendars for sale via his Beach Boys website. This calendar features Stan's photos of the BBs from the mid-'70s, with individual and group shots. Variations of some of the photos are on the website. (Click to view the back of the calendar.) Price is $19.95 plus shipping and handling ($4.95 in the U.S.A.; $9.00 U.S. in Canada/Mexico). To order, send a money order made to Graphiclynx at 1807 SW Canby St., Portland, OR 97219. Credit card service is available via the website. (12/15/99)<< 
the website( gone) :    http://ww1.beach-boys.com/     
the back of the calendar:   http://www.beachboysfanclub.com/pubpix.htm#stanlove 

I've only ever been able to find one of the posters available for re-sale, and I wish I had them all AND the calendar.  I suppose they didn't sell very well

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx