gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:45:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Bob Johnston  (Read 2040 times)
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2015, 10:37:25 AM »

Very sad to hear of legendary Columbia producer Bob Johnston's passing. He did some great work over the years.

From Rolling Stone's website:

"Bob Johnston, a staff producer at Columbia Records who worked on legendary LPs like Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde, Johnny Cash's At Folsom Prison and Simon & Garfunkel's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, passed away Friday at a Nashville hospice. He was 83.

A friend of Johnston's confirmed the producer's death to the Austin Chronicle, saying, "For several days before, swinging, swaying, and waving around his hands, telling stories out loud, entertaining and consuming all those that saw and heard him. Once he was confined to [a] bed and connected to machines, hospice only gave him a few days to live. He was on morphine to help any pain he was experiencing. Bob's wife told me he pass[ed] away peacefully. The grand master waved his magical wand for the last time, then disappeared off into the night."

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 01:21:33 PM »

Oh man, another one. I like his Cash productions and the Carl Perkins ones very much.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 01:53:23 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-johnston-bob-dylan-producer-dead-at-83-20150816

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 03:04:22 PM »

Been looking everywhere (in vain) for an audio/video of "To Be Alone With You", which kicks off with Dylan's immortal words to his producer, "Is it rolling, Bob?"...

R.I.P., sir.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 06:03:17 PM »

The dude was a titan. So many great records made under his watch.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 08:25:04 PM »

Been looking everywhere (in vain) for an audio/video of "To Be Alone With You", which kicks off with Dylan's immortal words to his producer, "Is it rolling, Bob?"...

R.I.P., sir.

Here ya go John. Like 10 secs in, they are already playing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eos_70yqX8E
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:06:02 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 02:44:05 AM »

R.I.P., sir.

Thanks, ORR. I can't see it myself ("this video is unavallable----sorry about that") but at least others can check it out now. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 03:10:08 AM »

R.I.P., sir.

Thanks, ORR. I can't see it myself ("this video is unavallable----sorry about that") but at least others can check it out now. :=)
You are welcome John!

The video is just a still image of the album cover. The "Is it rolling, Bob?" question from Dylan is on the released track of "To Be Alone With You" from Nashville Skyline.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 05:50:45 AM »

I keep reading this as "Bruce Johnston" and my heart drops and then I quickly realize I'm not even on the main forum  LOL

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 10:13:06 AM »

Really late to this, but here's an obit and a reminiscence:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/bob-johnston-rip.html
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx