gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:36:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Songwriters - Brian at #12  (Read 12873 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2015, 08:33:01 AM »

No Kate Bush? Gram Parsons? Gene Clark? This list and Jann Weiner can f*** off.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2015, 01:40:46 PM »

Brian definitely should be higher than #12.  I'd put him in the top four, with the Beatle team, Stones team, and Dylan.  Oh and since everyone seems to be kicking in with an oddball choice, Neil Diamond!  Just for the heck of it.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2015, 11:49:33 PM »

I've never been able to understand lists like this.... I guess ultimately you just have to conclude that they're completely useless.  It's the only way I can make any logical sense of it.

Just a couple throwaway thoughts about it.... I basically agree with a lot of the top 10, but like a poster above said, I've had many other songwriters move me much more than several of the top ten, so what is this even based on?  I love Carol King but in my world she's not even in the same league as Merle Haggard, and I'm not sure she even sold more records than Merle. 

Or guys like Woodie Guthrie, hell he started the foundation of what guys like Dylan did, yet Dylan's #1 (maybe deservedly so) but Guthrie's #28?  How?

Also we're giving props to Tom T. Hall but completely ignore the completely superior Roger Miller?  Tom T. Hall still wishes he was as talented as Roger Miller.  Where's Marty Robbins?  Where's Bill Monroe?  We give Johnny Cash #43, and yeah he was of course great, but there's 100 songwriters in Nashville who wrote better songs than Johnny ever dreamed of, and he'd be the first to tell you that if he was still alive.  Hell you could make a bigger case for Ira Louvin being on the list than Johnny Cash!  Waylon Jennings was 5X the songwriter Johnny Cash was, you could argue that Waylon was more talented and did more than even Kristoferson... but he's not one of L.A.'s favorites so we leave Waylon off. 

Whole list is pointless. 
Well, I can't think of many songs better than I Walk the Line, I Still Miss Someone, or Man in Black. That's the freakin' Bible in my music book.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2015, 07:14:05 PM »

I've never been able to understand lists like this.... I guess ultimately you just have to conclude that they're completely useless.  It's the only way I can make any logical sense of it.

Just a couple throwaway thoughts about it.... I basically agree with a lot of the top 10, but like a poster above said, I've had many other songwriters move me much more than several of the top ten, so what is this even based on?  I love Carol King but in my world she's not even in the same league as Merle Haggard, and I'm not sure she even sold more records than Merle. 

Or guys like Woodie Guthrie, hell he started the foundation of what guys like Dylan did, yet Dylan's #1 (maybe deservedly so) but Guthrie's #28?  How?

Also we're giving props to Tom T. Hall but completely ignore the completely superior Roger Miller?  Tom T. Hall still wishes he was as talented as Roger Miller.  Where's Marty Robbins?  Where's Bill Monroe?  We give Johnny Cash #43, and yeah he was of course great, but there's 100 songwriters in Nashville who wrote better songs than Johnny ever dreamed of, and he'd be the first to tell you that if he was still alive.  Hell you could make a bigger case for Ira Louvin being on the list than Johnny Cash!  Waylon Jennings was 5X the songwriter Johnny Cash was, you could argue that Waylon was more talented and did more than even Kristoferson... but he's not one of L.A.'s favorites so we leave Waylon off. 

Whole list is pointless. 
Well, I can't think of many songs better than I Walk the Line, I Still Miss Someone, or Man in Black. That's the freakin' Bible in my music book.

Great songs... and he had others.... but if you listen through Waylon's catalog he was far superior.  Probably 100 songwriters in Nashville better than Johnny, he was more cool than all of them though so of course he gets on the list.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2015, 12:48:18 AM »

Whole list is pointless. 

Great songs... and he had others.... but if you listen through Waylon's catalog he was far superior.  Probably 100 songwriters in Nashville better than Johnny, he was more cool than all of them though so of course he gets on the list.

And, of course, Johnny was reinvented late in life (and at least a couple of those albums are seriously good) in a manner that appealed to the 'cool' crowd.
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »

Brian mentioned:
http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/08/24/433206610/the-one-real-problem-with-rolling-stones-greatest-songwriters-of-all-time

Listen, listen, listen...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx