-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:26:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Job advice
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Job advice  (Read 2613 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2015, 11:09:22 PM »

I recently started working in food service and I've increasingly been having issues. I really don't want to sound like I'm whining right now, but I've been constantly thinking about this stuff and I just want to put it out there.

Firstly, I find the task of talking to be the most exhausting part. Like, physically exhausting. When I get home, I never actually want to do anything productive because I'm so worn out from my job. Secondly, the schedule is created a day or two in advance of my actual work week and it's difficult to make any plans. Thirdly, and this is a big one, I don't feel accepted in my work place. The boss is constantly breathing down my neck and second-guessing me. I feel as though my coworkers tolerate me more than anything, and that I'm nothing more than a burden for them to shoulder while they're trying to work. And, yes, I will admit that I am not perfect at my job, but I've only been here for a month and a half. I'm doing my best and am trying to better myself. I constantly feel stressed that I'm not living up to other's expectations of how fast I should be working and am bringing everyone down. My boss called the store today and made me handle a majority of the workload during a rush, and let me tell you, things did not go well. I honestly feel that I would be able to excel and perform my job so much better if I wasn't constantly being interfered with.

The only thing that I like about my job is my coworkers, who are (mostly) genuinely kind to me and are (mostly) people I enjoy being around.

I'm also having to go to back to school soon as a full-time student and I'm not sure how I'll be able to handle doing both at the same time.

I'm not sure what I'm asking for here. I might seem like I'm just begging you guys to tell me to quit (which I am seriously considering), but I'm not. I really want some advice here. How much do I have to put into a job before I can confidently end it?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:11:24 PM by Schmubbly Schmaves » Logged
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 11:14:07 PM »

If you're dreading going to work, the writing's on the wall. Look for something else and leave on good terms when you find it.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 01:01:34 AM »

What type of restaurant is it?

If you hate it but don't want to feel like a quitter, leave the place you are and work somewhere else to see for yourself if its you or your workplace. But if you don't like talking to people, hospitality might not be the right thing to do unless you're doing some cheffing.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 02:48:00 AM »

If quitting is going to leave you in dire straits then you just have to hang in there 'till you find something better. If the job effects your full time studies then maybe reducing your hours would be the best option to take. Best of luck. What will you be studying BTW?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 05:13:52 AM »

It's a job, not a career. You don't owe the place anything beyond normal professionalism: reasonable effort while you're there and, if you decide to leave, giving proper notice. But you have no obligation to hang in there to make it work. There are plenty of jobs you can get while back in school. Find the most tolerable one(s). If you find interacting with people to be a strain, keep that in mind as you look for something else.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 10:40:58 AM »

If you don't like the job AND the boss, do give notice and quit.  There are plenty of jobs around.  Must be.  You're north of L.A., right?  Try to find something on your collage campus so you don't have to do so much traveling to different parts of town.  The folks at the college will understand your concerns, and probably work with you on scheduling hours before or just after your classes.  With school starting back up soon, they might need stockers or someone to deal with the folks that will be returning last years books.  You don't have to talk much to people going through check-out.  Do you type well enough to do a clerk type job?  That was an easy job to find back in my college days.  If that doesn't work, look at jobs near the campus.  You already have experience working at a record shop.  There are plenty of behind the scene type jobs in those places.  You can continue to explore music - which is already a big part of your life.  There used to be loads of manufacturing jobs, but I guess most of them have been sourced out now.

I'll think about it more and talk to you about it in our next PM.

Good luck Josh.  Something will work out.  Don't work for some jerk that gets his jollies pushing others around.  That's more his problem than yours.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 07:20:22 PM »

Don't be so hard on yourself Bubbly.  Ask your boss for some feedback -- how am I doing?  what do you need done around here?  And remind them that you're going back to school soon... in your mind, that means -- let's make it count.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: