gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:03:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy 70th Birthday, Ron Mael  (Read 4416 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2015, 04:29:48 PM »

It's hard to believe Ron Mael turns 70 years old today. Ron and his younger brother, Russell, have been recording - how would you describe it? - unique, interesting, cutting edge, smart, funny, and just plain great music with their band, Sparks, for 44 years! Ron, in addition to being Sparks' main songwriter, is also an unbelievable keyboard player, and what can you say about that wild stage persona he created. Thanks for the music, Ron, and I look forward to many more years of Sparks!

Maybe Sparks' best song: https://youtu.be/x29_lhRjuuw
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 05:16:15 PM »

Wow! 70? My, I feel old. Happy B'Day to a Rock original. I was a big time fan during the glam years. The trifecta of Kimono My House, Propaganda, and Indiscreet is just about as good as it gets.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 02:06:46 AM »

Happy birthday, sir.  May FFS go from strength to strength. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 06:54:58 AM »

Yes, krabklaw... Ron and Russ were on quite a roll with Kimono My House, Propaganda, and Indiscreet, all released in the span of about a year and a half, in 1974-75. While those albums did fairly well commercially and critically back in the day, they remain mostly unknown among general music fans today. It's a shame because there is some great, great music there.

In 2008, Sparks did a 21 date tour, performing each of their 21 albums in full, in chronological order. Think about that, having to remember/re-learn all of those songs again, some more than 40 years old, especially the complex ones they are known for!

john k...Thanks for mentioning FFS. That would be the new group Sparks formed with Franz Ferdinand. They released their new album in June. I've heard some tracks from the album and they are quite good. FFS also played a few shows...
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 07:16:31 AM »

Sparks show off their love of the BBs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qv5JvEmSoc

*edit - link didn't work before, should now.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:52:28 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 07:32:33 AM »

Yes, almost from day one, Sparks have employed Beach Boys-like harmonies in many of their songs. And then there's their homage to The Beach Boys - "Over The Summer" from the Introducing Sparks album. Ron and Russ grew up in Southern California in the 1960's, so... Smiley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 12:05:36 PM »

They also wrote a song taking the piss out of Morrissey, so by default they should be AGD's second favourite band.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 12:54:32 PM »

They also wrote a song taking the piss out of Morrissey, so by default they should be AGD's second favourite band.

Obviously you're a Sparks fan! Cheesy

Yes, Sparks recorded a song called "Lighten Up, Morrissey" from their 2008 album, Exotic Creatures Of The Deep, an excellent later-period album from the Mael brothers.

Here's a live version of the song: https://youtu.be/5gHk66SrUzo
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 02:24:52 PM »

If you've ever wondered what Ron would look like without the 'stache, fast forward to 4:40 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QM9wSyn8BY
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 11:45:55 PM »

Yes, almost from day one, Sparks have employed Beach Boys-like harmonies in many of their songs. And then there's their homage to The Beach Boys - "Over The Summer" from the Introducing Sparks album. Ron and Russ grew up in Southern California in the 1960's, so... Smiley
...and original band member Earle Mankey has a very direct Beach Boys connection, working on some 70s stuff for them.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 04:09:04 PM »

...and original band member Earle Mankey has a very direct Beach Boys connection, working on some 70s stuff for them.

Yes, Earle Mankey was the guitarist on Sparks' first two albums, Sparks (originally known as Halfnelson) in 1971 and A Woofer In Tweeter's Clothing in 1972. After leaving Sparks, Earle went on to be an engineer at Brother Studios. Earle's brother, Jim Mankey, was the bass player on the same above albums. And, the drummer on those two albums was Harley Feinstein, who lists his early influences as The Ventures and Dick Dale & The Deltones. Harley is now an attorney!

The ironic thing is, despite those Southern California musicians, those first two Sparks' albums don't have as many Beach Boys' harmonies/influences as their later ones, some with British musicians, which have their share of stack-of-Russells.

A quick question for krabklaw, rn57, Mike's Beard, or any other Sparks fans...When you see those Top 100 lists like the one currently on this board, do you think that Sparks belongs on any of them - as a group, Ron as a songwriter, Ron as a keyboard player, or even Russell as a singer? I realize I am extremely biased - I love Sparks - but, damn, at least Ron Mael should now be getting some recognition. Any recognition!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 04:21:48 PM »

Well they certainly deserve to be there if the likes of Taylor Swift, Biggie Smalls, Jay Z, Kayne West etc... do!

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 04:53:01 PM »

Well I sure think they deserve to be a top 100 group, but I understand that their period of success was pretty limited and their US following is strictly cult. Hey! If you haven't listened to the Mini Mansions  (they did the song with BW) new album, there are are some cuts with a distinct Sparks influence. They even do a  cover of Sherlock Holmes on one of their singles, so they;re obviously fans of the group.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 05:11:36 PM »

But, what do you guys think specifically about Ron Mael as a songwriter and arranger? krabklaw, you nailed it with the Big 3 - Kimono My House, Propaganda, and Indiscreet. Doesn't someone who wrote the bulk of those albums, in this case, Ron, deserve to be in a special category, with the greats?

Yes, Sparks' period of commercial success was limited, and they've always been a cult group, but, critically, they've extended that over decades. While I'm not as big a fan of their later work as their earlier period, there are still moments of brilliance spread out over their later albums. It's funny but I guess their later work could be considered 1976 - present. Grin

I know I'm beating a dead horse and preaching to a small choir here, but honestly, Ron Mael has a quality in his songwriting and arranging where I often say to myself, "How in the world did he come up with that?" And I don't say that very often.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 03:13:31 AM »

Morrissey, take note.... LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwIrFTo495E

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 04:07:08 AM »

AGD will love this homage to his favourite artist ONLY if it was called 'FCUK OFF MORRISSEY'  LOL

PS I love Sparks (Great great band) and FFS is superb
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:08:06 AM by Rob Dean » Logged
Pim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 11:40:28 PM »

Sparks are awesome. I saw them a couple of times in the last few years (twice in 2009, twice in 2012, once in 2013, twice in 2014 and once in 2015) in various configurations (rockband, duo, FFS, with an orchestra) and they keep blowing me away. Almost every album has its own highlights (even though some of the 80's stuff is pretty weak). I'm especially a big fan of the 'classic' era (Kimono-Indiscreet) and the 'later' period (Lil' Beethoven-Exotic Creatures), but albums like No. 1 In Heaven are brilliant as well. FFS finally saw a return to 'songs' instead of the stylistic approach of the last couple of albums, which was great to hear.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 07:50:48 AM »

Sparks are awesome. I saw them a couple of times in the last few years (twice in 2009, twice in 2012, once in 2013, twice in 2014 and once in 2015) in various configurations (rockband, duo, FFS, with an orchestra) and they keep blowing me away. Almost every album has its own highlights (even though some of the 80's stuff is pretty weak). I'm especially a big fan of the 'classic' era (Kimono-Indiscreet) and the 'later' period (Lil' Beethoven-Exotic Creatures), but albums like No. 1 In Heaven are brilliant as well. FFS finally saw a return to 'songs' instead of the stylistic approach of the last couple of albums, which was great to hear.

Thanks for the post, Pim! As big of a Sparks fan that I am, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never seen them live. If you have time, could you share some of your thoughts on what a Sparks' show is like? The band? Ron's stage presence? Russell's vocals? The fans?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 09:59:47 AM »

Currently touring with Franz Ferdinand.
Pim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 01:44:18 PM »

Thanks for the post, Pim! As big of a Sparks fan that I am, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never seen them live. If you have time, could you share some of your thoughts on what a Sparks' show is like? The band? Ron's stage presence? Russell's vocals? The fans?

It depends on the format they're presenting the band in. When I saw them do Kimono/Heaven/Exotic live in a 'basic' rockband format the show was a pretty normal (if you can call Sparks normal!) set-up. No extravagant video-screens or anything, just some basic lights. The shows where they performed as an acoustic (piano + vocals only) duo were even simpler, with very minimal lightning. The shows with an orchestra of course were on a grander scale, being that there was a 30+ piece orchestra on stage - but still no videoscreens or anything. The show I saw them do with Franz Ferdinand a couple of weeks ago was also a pretty basic rock show. Sparks don't need fancy videoscreens and effects - their music is moooore than enough to keep you occupied :D
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 02:38:34 PM »

I've no idea whether this is representative of "minimal" live Sparks but it's certainly very entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbk1ymMmybI

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx