gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:00:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston - Ritchie Valens  (Read 5755 times)
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2015, 07:10:58 PM »

I've read several places that Bruce played in Ritchie Valens' backing band in 1958.  I remember reading somewhere that Bruce played drums.  In an interview with Bruce, he stated that he played keyboards.  That's neither here nor there, but my question is...Are there any photos of Bruce playing with Ritchie?
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 08:51:34 PM »

I've also heard that he played drums, which surprised me!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 10:26:45 PM »

That's pretty awesome... Listen to the sweet drums on "Come On, Let's Go", that's not Bruce but I always loved that drumline.  If you listen close, the drums stop for the "Wellll....." part over and over again, but one time the guy kind of just hits this extra note in there, love that. (about 48 seconds in)

Wonder if Bruce played that 'style' when they covered this in concert?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLrnU1K2Wso

mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 01:07:46 AM »

I believe that the drummer on the "Come On Let's Go" studio track (and probably on all of Ritchie Valens studio tracks as well) was Earl Palmer.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:09:04 AM by mikee » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 04:49:00 AM »

On Mike Deasy's wiki page it states that "While still at high school, he played in bands backing visiting musicians such as Ricky Nelson and The Everly Brothers, and also played in Ritchie Valens' touring band with Bruce Johnston, Larry Knechtel, Sandy Nelson, and Jim Horn.

If this info is reliabie, i can only assume that Larry K was their bassist, as Bruce only mentions being the pianist in interviews...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 06:16:15 AM »

So if Bruce only played keys, where did all the rumors him playing drums arise?
I think he had to at least a few times, otherwise I can't imagine why it would feel like such a  commonly said "fact"
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 09:33:32 AM »

Not to get it toooooo far off track, and I don't play drums, but maybe back then a lot of that was going around, for instance it's common knowledge that Buddy Holly played drums on stage for Ritchie that fateful night at the Surf Ballroom. 

So maybe different people pitched in and played drums for him?  I know he was using Buddy's drummer on that tour (who ended up in the hospital with frostbite), and played drums himself for Buddy that night, and then Buddy played drums for him later in the show. 

Crazy so many people were ... casually competent at drums, enough to play those songs live at least. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 10:36:44 AM »

Not to get it toooooo far off track, and I don't play drums, but maybe back then a lot of that was going around, for instance it's common knowledge that Buddy Holly played drums on stage for Ritchie that fateful night at the Surf Ballroom.  

So maybe different people pitched in and played drums for him?  I know he was using Buddy's drummer on that tour (who ended up in the hospital with frostbite), and played drums himself for Buddy that night, and then Buddy played drums for him later in the show.  

Crazy so many people were ... casually competent at drums, enough to play those songs live at least.  

I saw Ritchie credited for playing drums too: (Scroll up a bit.)

https://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,2122203,2122691,quote=1#REPLY
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:48:32 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »

Actually, one of the Belmonts (Carlo Mastrangelo) played drums for Ritchie that night.  Buddy played drums for the Belmonts.  I've seen all 7 photos taken that night.  Carlo also played drums for the opening act, Frankie Sardo.  There are no photos of the Big Bopper performing that night, but I'm going to assume that Carlo played drums behind him as well since he played drums for the other acts with the exception of the Belmonts, of course.  Ritchie had played drums the previous night at the Riverside Ballroom in Green Bay. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:25:48 AM by DennysDrums83 » Logged
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 12:54:25 PM »

Don't forget Bob!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x-xklVMx_M
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 01:01:42 PM »

Brilliant! Anyone just spontaneously played drums in them days, I like that. If Bruce did wack drums for Ritchie, maybe the adventurous side took over!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:02:35 PM by Cool Cool Water » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 05:27:35 AM »

Reviving this old thread based on my recent conversation with Bruce a couple of weeks ago - I asked him about playing drums for Ritchie Valens...not only did he say he never did such a thing ("I have no rhythm" was his exact comment), but he also seemed extremely surprised that anyone would ever think so. Bruce said he only played keyboards in the those days.

Interestingly, in another conversation I had with Bruce a few years back, he told me about a time the Beach Boys were playing Lake Tahoe in the early '80s, and Karen Lamm was in the audience "flipping the bird" at Dennis (they were no longer a couple by this point - they'd split up for the last time in late '78, and their divorce became final in 1980). Dennis then flew into a rage and jumped into the audience to attack her. Unfortunately, this was mid-song, so Bruce said he jumped over to the drums and played them for the remainder of that song.

From the sounds of things, that was the one-and-only time Bruce ever played drums live!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 06:07:10 AM »

"Attack her"?

I love his music, but.... damn
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 06:10:59 AM »

Maybe "confront" her was the actual word used - either way, I'm sure Dennis got in her face in a loud/confrontational manner.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 10:58:32 AM »

Kinda ironic Bruce claiming to have 'no rhythm', when his earliest forays into music were with Sandy Nelson.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 07:58:42 PM »

I think Bruce is the Beach Boy who should really write a book.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 08:05:20 PM »

I think Bruce is the Beach Boy who should really write a book.

I would second that...he's told me plenty of fascinating little anecdotes about his life in music, and there's probably a dozen or so I've read in his interviews.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 04:57:00 AM »

I find his pre Beach Boys period more interesting, would love a biography or memoir written by the guy.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 06:04:07 AM »

On Mike Deasy's wiki page it states that "While still at high school, he played in bands backing visiting musicians such as Ricky Nelson and The Everly Brothers, and also played in Ritchie Valens' touring band with Bruce Johnston, Larry Knechtel, Sandy Nelson, and Jim Horn.

If this info is reliabie, i can only assume that Larry K was their bassist, as Bruce only mentions being the pianist in interviews...

Looking at this one I can only assume myself that Bruce and Larry K were never in the band at the same time as Larry didn't pick up the bass until he joined Duane Eddy's touring band in '59, by which time Richie had passed on. Larry, like Bruce, was keys in his early days...
Prior to that Larry played in Kip Tyler & The Flips, and when he quit to join up with Duane, it was Bruce who replaced him...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 06:04:59 AM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 06:48:15 AM »

Bruce played in a band that backed up Ritchie Valens, Jan & Arnie, and others at the Los Angeles County Fair in Pomona in September of '58. Sandy Nelson played drums.

mrski
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 07:53:51 AM »

Anybody know if Bruce ever backed up Eddie Cochran...?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 02:42:51 PM »

Apparently.

http://www.beachboysstomp.co.uk/bruce-johnston/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx