gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:54:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Jan & Dean Record - Mark A. Moore  (Read 9226 times)
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 09:26:39 PM »

Speaking of live shows, Mark, I wonder if there is any way all those live shows from Phase II that were filmed - and it seems there are quite a few judging by youtube - will ever be remastered and incorporated to Jan's or Jan & Dean's website.

I don't know. The 1981 concert that was recorded for the 1982 LP One Summer Night / Live was filmed, and I think the video for that was released much later.

"Phase II" does not interest me as much as the original era.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2016, 10:21:48 AM »

Speaking of live shows, Mark, I wonder if there is any way all those live shows from Phase II that were filmed - and it seems there are quite a few judging by youtube - will ever be remastered and incorporated to Jan's or Jan & Dean's website.

I don't know. The 1981 concert that was recorded for the 1982 LP One Summer Night / Live was filmed, and I think the video for that was released much later.

"Phase II" does not interest me as much as the original era.

Same here, but unfortunately we don't havee that much footag of Phase I  Undecided

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2016, 03:30:13 AM »

Same here, but unfortunately we don't havee that much footag of Phase I  Undecided

Right, but loads of "Phase II" footage is not necessarily a good thing, from my perspective.

However, certain archival stuff from that era is important. For example, it's crucial to highlight the early '80s Aloha footage, because it's a telling window on Jan's concert activity beyond Dean's orbit. And it's important to show J&D in concert with the various incarnations of Dean's bands. There are some good examples.

But beyond that,  the video value is limited, in my opinion.

M.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 02:53:04 PM »

Right, but loads of "Phase II" footage is not necessarily a good thing, from my perspective.

However, certain archival stuff from that era is important. For example, it's crucial to highlight the early '80s Aloha footage, because it's a telling window on Jan's concert activity beyond Dean's orbit. And it's important to show J&D in concert with the various incarnations of Dean's bands. There are some good examples.

But beyond that,  the video value is limited, in my opinion.

M.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Some clips I have seen are really terrible. On the other hand, there are some really good performances.

I just listened to the released "Filet of soul" and man, the live stuff needs to be released imo after it was remastered and remixed. The instrumental in "Honolulu Lulu" with Hal Blaine's (?) fantastic rolls just rocks like hell. But since the shows probably wouldn't sell that much on their own, maybe it could be done as some kind of bonus or part of a Jan&Dean boxset. A Otis Redding set of his Whiskey-A-Go-Go recordings is just released.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2016, 03:03:25 PM »

The instrumental in "Honolulu Lulu" with Hal Blaine's (?) fantastic rolls just rocks like hell.

Yeah, it's Hal Blaine. All of the musicians for the two recorded Hullabaloo shows (used for the album) were Wrecking Crew members.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2016, 12:18:20 PM »

I just posted this idea on the Jan & Dean messageboard but thought that maybe some people on here would have an opinion as well. So:

... I thought about what could be on a boxset. Just a couple of ideas, over time I might have other thoughts:

One CD has to focus on the hits of course, maybe including some lesser known stuff from the early stage. All in their original mono mixes. And some studio dialogues etc. to show Jan (and Dean) working with the musicians.

Another CD could feature new stereo mixes and interesting backing tracks, acapella mixes and - if possible - recordings of just the orchestration of certain songs (like for example the string parts of "Ride the wild surf").

CD 3 could be dedicated to live performances. Mark just mentioned a couple of weeks back on the Smiley Smile messageboard the November '65 San Diego show (partly seen in "On the run") and the Hullabaloo Night Club recordings (later found on Filet Of Soul) that imo were perfect candidates for this. Maybe even something like the '63 Hollywood Bowl performance ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxC9egTxPoc ).

On CD 4 you could have the original "Filet Of Soul" if it was ever finished or, if not, selected parts of it, including the one side on Dean's anthology. Added to that the original Batman & Robin monologues could find a place here.

CD 5 I'd love to feature the recordings that show Dean's work while Jan was in the hospital plus Jan's work after he was out of hospital. That means all the originally released singles like "Summertime, summertime" (which I really don't like) and "California lullaby", Dean's version of "Louisiana man", certain highlights from "Save for a rainy day" and "Vege-tables". Then of course the originally released songs from the "Carnival of sound" project.
Added to that some of the best stuff from later years by both guys. "How, how I love her", "Don't you just know it" (Brian Wilson's name will surely get some more attention for this set), "Mother earth" etc. (I don't know if there is also some stuff from Dean).

Apart from an essay by Mark Moore the booklet could include memorabilia, maybe even a facsimile of a arrangement chart written by Jan. If there are good interviews of Jan and Dean maybe those could be printed. Or some radio interviews from the 60s (if there exist some useful ones) could be put onto one of the first CDs on this boxset.

Give that set a cool title (unfortunatley "Gotta take that one last ride" has been taken already) and hope that Dean can come up with a similar fantastic design as he did for "Carnival of sound"

- Jack Rieley
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 02:12:59 PM »

Oh, great! Do you have a tracklist for the show?

The track list for the November '65 San Diego concert is published in my book . . .

"The Lonely Bull"

"A Taste of Honey"

"Play On / Surf City"

"I Get Around"

"Honolulu Lulu"

"Cathy's Clown"

"Everybody Loves A Clown"

"Dead Man's Curve"

"Yesterday"

"You've Got To Hide Your Love Away"

"A Beginning From An End"

"The Little Old Lady (from Pasadena)"

"One-Two-Three"

"Let's Hang On"

"I Found A Girl"

"Hang On Sloopy (My Girl Sloopy)"

A similar track list was recorded the following month at the Hullabaloo Night Club in Hollywood, which became the basis for Filet of Soul.

Wow how awesome that setlist is! Wish i could hear some live concerts from 1958-1966! I am sure they always had some nice cover songs at all their concerts! Maybe someday these concerts might be released! even if it isnt on CD but like how the Beach Boys have been doing their yearly Copyright concerts and only be avalible on itunes/amazon!!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:13:35 PM by The_Beach » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx