gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:39:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Jan & Dean Record - Mark A. Moore  (Read 9170 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »

February '16 will see the release of Mark A. Moore's new book:

The Jan & Dean Record
A Chronology of Studio Sessions, Live Performances and Chart Positions

http://www.mcfarlandbooks.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-9812-3

Foreword by Brian Wilson

Print ISBN: 978-0-7864-9812-3
Ebook ISBN: 978-1-4766-2290-3
ca. 160 photos, discography, appendices, bibliography, index
softcover (8.5 x 11) 2015

About the Book
Jan and Dean were among the most successful songwriters of the late 1950s through the mid–1960s, with hits including “Jennie Lee,” “Surf City,” “Dead Man’s Curve” and “The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena).” Slapstick humor and offbeat personas were a big part of their shtick, but Jan Berry was serious when it came to the studio.

This book chronicles Jan’s career as a songwriter and arranger—and his tenure as producer for Jan and Dean and other acts—with day-by-day entries detailing recording sessions, single and album releases, concerts and appearances, film and television projects, behind-the-scenes business and legal matters, chart positions and more. Extensive commentary from Berry’s family, friends and colleagues is included. Studio invoices, contract details, tape box notes, copyright information and other particulars shed light on how music was made in the Hollywood studio system of the 1960s.

About the Author(s)
Mark A. Moore is a freelance developmental editor, writer, historian, and cartographer and has written various articles and album liner notes about Jan & Dean. He lives in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Here's the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/jananddeanrecord?hc_location=ufi

Once more: Congratulations Mark!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 09:18:19 PM »

Congratulations  Mark!

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 07:35:53 PM »

Congratulations  Mark!

Thanks Peter.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 07:50:57 PM »

Great news
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 10:35:30 PM »

Here's the book's cover:

The Jan & Dean Record: A Chronology of Studio Sessions, Live Performances, and Chart Positions
By Mark A. Moore

Foreword by Brian Wilson

168 photos & illustrations; discography; appendices; bibliography; song index; general index; softcover, 454 pp., 8.5" x 11"

McFarland's Book Page:
http://www.mcfarlandbooks.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-9812-3

Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Jan-Dean-Record-Chronology-Performances/dp/0786498129/

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/jananddeanrecord

Video:
https://youtu.be/Axg7TeGoR1s

Print & Internet Media (Request Review Copies Here):
http://www.mcfarlandbooks.com/about-mcfarland/contact-us/publicity-inquiries/

Information for Booksellers (Discount Policy):
http://www.mcfarlandbooks.com/customers/for-booksellers/

This is Jan Berry's biography. The book chronicles Jan Berry’s career as a songwriter and arranger—and his tenure as producer for Jan & Dean and other acts—with day-by-day entries detailing recording sessions, single and album releases, concerts and appearances, film and television projects, behind-the-scenes business and legal matters, chart positions and more. Extensive commentary from Berry’s family, friends and colleagues is included. Studio invoices, contract details, tape box notes, copyright information and other particulars shed light on how music was made in the Hollywood studio system of the 1960s.

If you're a fan of the Wrecking Crew, this book is for you.

Also included is biographical information, plus full details of Jan's 1966 automobile accident and his return to the studio one year later.

The book is largely based on extensive primary source documentation, but it is fleshed out by commentary from various family members, colleagues, and friends. Many of these people are listed below (but there are also quotes from various others, and information from others in summary form).

JAN BERRY

DEAN TORRENCE

FAMILY: Bill Berry (father), Brian Berry (brother), Clara Berry (mother), Ken Berry (brother), Luana Berry (sister), Jan-Erik Mustad (cousin)

SCHOOLMATES: Dr. Vic Amira, Bob Conley, Sandra Ellsworth, Melanie Block Gottlieb, Tim Naegele, Diane Sappenfield, Dr. Steve Schonfield, Nancy Sinatra, Ernie Wiley

THE BARONS: Ron Kiino, John Seligman, John Venable

CREATIVE ASSOCIATES: Lou Adler, Dr. Don Altfeld, Steve Barri, Roger Christian, Vic Diaz, Jill Gibson, Arnie Ginsburg, Artie Kornfeld, Rob Kuropatwa, Joe Lubin, Jim Pewter, P. F. Sloan, Tom Sumner, George Tipton, Fred Wieder, Brian Wilson, Alan Wolfson

MUSICIANS: Frankie Avalon, Tom Bahler, Hal Blaine, Glen Campbell, Mike Deasy, Micky Dolenz, John Grove, Ron Hicklin, Cliff Hugo, Peter Hume, Al Jardine, Ron Jeffrey, Bruce Johnston, Davy Jones, Carol Kaye, Brian Kilgore, Mike Kowalski, David Loe, Mike Love, Joe Middler, David Marks, Joe Osborn, Earl Palmer, Don Peake, John Pierce, Don Randi, Marilyn Wilson Rutherford, Rick Schlosser, Sid Sharp, Billy Strange, Tommy Tedesco, Pete Townshend, Don Zirilli

ENGINEERS: Dayton "Bones" Howe, Harold "Lanky" Linstrot, Mark Wolfson

INDUSTRY ASSOCIATES: Alvin Bennett, Buzz Cason, Pierre Cossette, Kim Fowley, David Horowitz, Steve Kugel, Stan Oliver, Don Podolor, Irwin Z. Robinson, Gunther Schiff, Fred Vail, Murry Wilson

FILM and TELEVISION: Steve Binder, Dick Clark, Richard Compton, Bruce Davison, Richard Hatch, Lew Irwin, Paul Morantz, Bo Svenson, Dalene Young

MEDIA: Greil Marcus, Dave Marsh, Dougal Butler, Pamela Des Barres

THERAPY and MEDICAL: Vivian Sheehan, Sandy Ward, Dr. Robert Waters, Various Medical Professionals

FRIENDS and ACQUAINTENCES: Bruce Abrams, Jeanette Andersen, Michael Barry, Brian Bruderlin, Jean Stout Burke, Suzanne Graeber, Stuart Hersh, Pam MacGregor, Mitsuru Ondo, Cameron Michael Parkes, Scott Paton, Denise Shannon, Michael Steinberg

And thanks Rocker, for the original post.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:14:56 PM by Mark A. Moore » Logged

Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 12:52:41 PM »

Here's an interview I did with Pray For Surf:

http://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/2016/03/prayforsurf-interview-mark-moore-author.html

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 08:22:03 AM »

Despite the hefty price tag, this is a fantastic book for fans of Jan & Dean, The Beach Boys, and 60s pop/rock. Two thumbs way up.  Smokin
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 09:11:45 AM »

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 09:46:29 PM »

Here's a recording of the interview with Ian Wagner . . . Shades of Cool, WUAG FM (lo-fi rendering):

http://jananddean-janberry.com/sounds/2016_07_12%20(jan%20&%20dean).mp3

Ian is very knowledgeable on the subject, and it made for a fun evening.

Music and Discussion . . .

TRACK LIST:

"Drag City" — Pop Symphony (1965)

"Jennie Lee" — Jan & Arnie (1958)

"Baby Talk" — (1959)

"Surf City" — (1963)

"Honolulu Lulu" — (1963)

"Drag City" — (1963)

"Dead Man's Curve" — (1964)

"I'm Dying To Give You My Love " — Pixie (1961)

"I Adore Him" — The Angels (1963)

"It's As Easy As 1, 2, 3" — (1964)

"The Little Old Lady (from Pasadena)" — Isolated Vocals with Brass and Woodwinds (1964)

"Ride the Wild Surf" — (1964)

"The Anaheim, Azusa & Cucamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review and Timing Association" — (1964)

"(Here They Come) From All Over the World" — (1965)

Filet of Soul — Original Concept Excerpts (1966)

"Batman" — (1966)

"Like A Summer Rain" — (1966)

"Girl, You're Blowing My Mind" — (1968)

"Carnival of Sound" — (1968)

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 12:17:55 AM »

Here's a recording of the interview with Ian Wagner . . . Shades of Cool, WUAG FM (lo-fi rendering):

http://jananddean-janberry.com/sounds/2016_07_12%20(jan%20&%20dean).mp3

Ian is very knowledgeable on the subject, and it made for a fun evening.

Music and Discussion . . .

TRACK LIST:

"Drag City" — Pop Symphony (1965)

"Jennie Lee" — Jan & Arnie (1958)

"Baby Talk" — (1959)

"Surf City" — (1963)

"Honolulu Lulu" — (1963)

"Drag City" — (1963)

"Dead Man's Curve" — (1964)

"I'm Dying To Give You My Love " — Pixie (1961)

"I Adore Him" — The Angels (1963)

"It's As Easy As 1, 2, 3" — (1964)

"The Little Old Lady (from Pasadena)" — Isolated Vocals with Brass and Woodwinds (1964)

"Ride the Wild Surf" — (1964)

"The Anaheim, Azusa & Cucamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review and Timing Association" — (1964)

"(Here They Come) From All Over the World" — (1965)

Filet of Soul — Original Concept Excerpts (1966)

"Batman" — (1966)

"Like A Summer Rain" — (1966)

"Girl, You're Blowing My Mind" — (1968)

"Carnival of Sound" — (1968)

Nice! I love Ian's show.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 02:20:59 AM »

Thanks for that link, Mark!

I just saw these videos from a concert in 1980 for the first time. Can't help but thinking what a long way Jan came. He was strong on this show (as is the backing band, Papa Doo Run Run). I guess that changed for the worse when the drugs started in the 80s, right?
Anyway, here's the obvious "Surf city:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQLd2Dmoszo

And "Dead Man's Curve" (with a snippet of "Love me tender"): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpRgGwHrGbM
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 02:22:32 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 02:55:27 PM »

I guess that changed for the worse when the drugs started in the 80s, right?

Yeah, Jan's drug use came to a head in October 1981, and Jan & Dean discontinued their reunion for a year or so. In 1982, Dean remained with the Bel Air Bandits and also began performing with Mike Love. Jan reformed his old Aloha band with new personnel and went back out on the road in '82, touring nationally. But he also kicked his drug habit. Jan & Dean began performing together again, on and off, in 1983, and then ramped up the touring again from there.

Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 03:30:16 AM »

Yeah, Jan's drug use came to a head in October 1981, and Jan & Dean discontinued their reunion for a year or so. In 1982, Dean remained with the Bel Air Bandits and also began performing with Mike Love. Jan reformed his old Aloha band with new personnel and went back out on the road in '82, touring nationally. But he also kicked his drug habit. Jan & Dean began performing together again, on and off, in 1983, and then ramped up the touring again from there.

By the way, there is footage of Jan performing with Aloha in 1983. At least two shows. The video is grainy but the sound is good. Jan's performances are as good as anything he did with Dean's band, and Aloha's instrumental and vocal performances are good. Aloha's musical director and lead guitarist David Loe shared the concert tapes with me.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 11:49:00 AM »

By the way, there is footage of Jan performing with Aloha in 1983. At least two shows. The video is grainy but the sound is good. Jan's performances are as good as anything he did with Dean's band, and Aloha's instrumental and vocal performances are good. Aloha's musical director and lead guitarist David Loe shared the concert tapes with me.

I've seen it on your facebook when you shared it today. New to me!

Say Mark, probably you get asked this often but I never heard about it: was the concert seen in parts in "On the run" filmed completely and are the tapes (including the sound recording) still in the archives?

- Jack Rieley
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »

Say Mark, probably you get asked this often but I never heard about it: was the concert seen in parts in "On the run" filmed completely and are the tapes (including the sound recording) still in the archives?

I think they filmed the entire concert and used portions of it in the TV pilot. But I don’t know if all of the footage still exists.

The recordings still exist. Five tape reels from the concert are in the vaults at Universal (formerly EMI-Capitol).

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 07:14:19 AM »

I think they filmed the entire concert and used portions of it in the TV pilot. But I don’t know if all of the footage still exists.

The recordings still exist. Five tape reels from the concert are in the vaults at Universal (formerly EMI-Capitol).

Oh, great! Do you have a tracklist for the show?

- Jack Rieley
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 09:25:16 AM »

I have waited many years to know this. Any chance of release ?  A pity for the company not to even offer downloads........😆
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 09:26:12 AM »

Any prospect of UK release for your book ?
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 12:23:43 AM »

The track list for the November '65 San Diego concert is published in my book . . .

"The Lonely Bull"

"A Taste of Honey"

"Play On / Surf City"

"I Get Around"

"Honolulu Lulu"

"Cathy's Clown"

"Everybody Loves A Clown"

"Dead Man's Curve"

"Yesterday"

"You've Got To Hide Your Love Away"

"A Beginning From An End"

"The Little Old Lady (from Pasadena)"

"One-Two-Three"

"Let's Hang On"

"I Found A Girl"

"Hang On Sloopy (My Girl Sloopy)"

A similar track list was recorded the following month at the Hullabaloo Night Club in Hollywood, which became the basis for Filet of Soul.

Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 12:29:22 AM »

I have waited many years to know this. Any chance of release ? 

We shall see . . .

The first step would be to preview the tracks to determine whether the quality is good enough for a release. They likely would have needed sweetening in the studio at the time.

Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 12:30:48 AM »

Any prospect of UK release for your book ?

All I know is that the book is available on Amazon UK in both print and electronic formats.

Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 02:03:19 AM »

Hey, thank you so VERY much for all this info.  That track listing is tantalising.....even with some flubs ( live, after all) it should be allowed a release. The guys were in many ways underrated.......... ; just my opinion, but most of the potential buyers would be u derstanding of the situation at the time and related events. Would be good to have the live feel to the humour too
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 02:49:27 AM »

The track list for the November '65 San Diego concert is published in my book . . .

"The Lonely Bull"

"A Taste of Honey"

"Play On / Surf City"

"I Get Around"

"Honolulu Lulu"

"Cathy's Clown"

"Everybody Loves A Clown"

"Dead Man's Curve"

"Yesterday"

"You've Got To Hide Your Love Away"

"A Beginning From An End"

"The Little Old Lady (from Pasadena)"

"One-Two-Three"

"Let's Hang On"

"I Found A Girl"

"Hang On Sloopy (My Girl Sloopy)"

A similar track list was recorded the following month at the Hullabaloo Night Club in Hollywood, which became the basis for Filet of Soul.

Thank you!
I like the tracks on Filet Of Soul.

I have waited many years to know this. Any chance of release ?

We shall see . . .

The first step would be to preview the tracks to determine whether the quality is good enough for a release. They likely would have needed sweetening in the studio at the time.

Maybe it could be a deluxe edition of the two recorded shows. I wonder how much sweetening would be necessary. I'm not a fan of the "Command performance" sound

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2016, 06:59:20 AM »

Speaking of live shows, Mark, I wonder if there is any way all those live shows from Phase II that were filmed - and it seems there are quite a few judging by youtube - will ever be remastered and incorporated to Jan's or Jan & Dean's website.

- Jack Rieley
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2016, 11:02:01 AM »

a double CD of that track listing from the filming in 1965 wd be my personal Holy Grail. It would bring their humour and genuine live style ......like Rocker, Command Performance has a certain 'smoothness; that is almost an unnecessary polish. Rock music--surf music--should have flaws, it makes it more real but no less enjoyable

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx