gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:21:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW Promo Cassettes  (Read 4772 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2015, 11:28:29 AM »

While I have the tapes out, might as well scan
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:29:37 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 11:33:15 AM »

Bgas, is there any way to record the sweet insanity versions on your cassettes and post them?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 02:38:54 PM »

First one is an Andy Paley "audio portfolio" with "In My Moondreams" and "Rio Grande." The second is an earlier advance promo for OCA:

Folkways: A Vision Shared advance promo, and Words+Music for BW '88.  I would suspect that the Words+Music cassette came with an insert, but mine didn't:

"In My Car" and "Smart Girls" were both sent out by Brains & Genius as holiday presents to key industry folks and friends:

(I included "Smart Girls" because the insert seemed to be a different color that Chris' copy.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:13:11 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:43:38 PM »

Very Cool Lee!  Now, HOW to find the ones you have that I don't.... 
Thinking Andy Paley will be TOUGH. probably be just happenstance if I get lucky and they show up.   

As to the Smart Girls, might just be my/your scanner. They're probably the same color.
Tell you what, mail me your copy and I'll compare them, then send it back....  ( don't forget to include the tape) 

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 11:34:35 AM »

As I recall, Lee got the "Smart Girls" via me because I was working at a radio station at the time. 

Dave
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 11:40:55 AM »

Curious about the "special single remix" of "In My Car." Does it sound remotely different from the album version?
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 11:49:10 AM »

As I recall, Lee got the "Smart Girls" via me because I was working at a radio station at the time. 

Dave

Yep; hence the "industry folks and friends."  If I recall they were sent to the radio station program director, right Dave?
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 11:55:19 AM »

sounds right...it was long time ago, but it was strange because I worked at an oldies radio station, and "Smart Girls" was being promoted as something new

I actually listened to SWEET INSANITY promo cassette the other night and it wasn't as bad as I thought I remembered it being.  My expectations have been lowered so much over the years...  

Lee, it also looks like I need to borrow some tapes.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:58:12 AM by ESQ Editor » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 05:49:15 PM »

Curious about the "special single remix" of "In My Car." Does it sound remotely different from the album version?
I just listened to it, and ignoring the lesser fidelity of the cassette I can't hear much of a difference, other than the cassette version fades out about 5 seconds sooner.

Lee
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 01:26:24 PM »

There’s an alternate mix of “In My Car”, as a “bonus track” on one of the more well-known “Sweet Insanity” compilations from years ago, and I always wondered where it came from. I suspect it’s probably this “single remix.” My recollection is that the only discernable mix different is heard during the drum break that comes after the first chorus just prior to the next verse. On the normal “album mix”, there is a louder synth note playing under that drum break, whereas on that alternate mix, the synth is nearly or completely mixed out. I think the synth is also dropped out of the later drum break after Brian’s bridge, leaving just the drums and bass (which may have itself been played on a keyboard). That’s about it. Very, very minor.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 03:39:52 PM »

hmm...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:13:21 PM by bgas » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: