gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:23:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Pier Pressure - 4 Months Later  (Read 34486 times)
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 19, 2015, 12:03:05 PM »

Seriously.. I don't even care that much. Like what you like guys.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 19, 2015, 12:15:33 PM »

California Calling was but one horrible, lazy, uninspired example of the Beach Boys coming off as totally over and done. Runaway Dancer sounds like Brian Wilson and some other people singing and having fun by trying something different. It's got a good beat, it's catchy and it's outside the box. That's my opinion...do you embrace that? An opinion should at least be objective. I don't see how you can claim NPP is among the worst while being objective. What was California Calling? It was not a song that sounded like the Beach Boys as you say...it was a song by the Beach Boys TRYING to sound like the Beach Boys. I don't want the Beach Boys or Brian to try and sound "like" anything. I want it to sound good period. I think RD sounds good..you don't...guess we are done.

You know, Morris Albert made a career out of impeccably produced and performed soft rock. There was just one problem - it lacked all manner of soul, was about as contrived and calculated as a politician running for office, and, for lack of a better word, just sucked. It doesn't matter how "objectively" good the music is; if the listener doesn't like it, then that's the way the cookie crumbles. Emerson, Lake, and Palmer are incredibly talented yet none of their music moves me. So yeah, it's technically "good," but it still sucks to my ears.

"An opinion should at least be objective." Bloody nonsense. Opinions of art will always be subjective. That includes music. Your inability to grasp that does not make it otherwise. A hardcore fan of the Beach Boys is not required to like everything and is definitely not required to adhere to your specifications of what a hardcore fan is and should like.

Being entitled to an opinion is a given in any instance. That does not equate to being objective. Any objective critique of Brian and the Beach Boys body of work that puts NPP among the worst is not to be taken seriously. California Calling...terrible lyrics...terrible production...terrible in every aspect. I'm being very objective.

That's just, like, your opinion, man. As mine was my own. That's how opinions work.

Seriously.. I don't even care that much. Like what you like guys.

And yet here you are jumping into the thread like a g*ddamned Power Ranger trying to save the day from those who don't like the record.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
KDS
« Reply #202 on: October 19, 2015, 12:15:51 PM »

The energy of "shouting" his verses as opposed to singing them and knowing Landy was right there hanging over Brian like Peter Pans shadow? We'll agree to disagree on that one.

I don't care that you or anyone else did not like NPP, however it baffles me that someone on a site for hardcore fans would consider it that bad. Seriously, Brian and the Beach Boys have done plenty of pretty darn bad over the 50 plus years. I'd take Runaway Dancer any day over California Calling or Rock and Roll to the Rescue or Nighttime and on and on.

You think that hardcore fans have a specific orthodoxy with regard to what albums are liked and disliked? Let's embrace the diversity of opinions around here. Of course, someone saying he'd take Runaway Dancer over those three examples baffles me (since the three examples actually sound like Beach Boys songs), but hey. Horses for courses.

California Calling was but one horrible, lazy, uninspired example of the Beach Boys coming off as totally over and done. Runaway Dancer sounds like Brian Wilson and some other people singing and having fun by trying something different. It's got a good beat, it's catchy and it's outside the box. That's my opinion...do you embrace that? An opinion should at least be objective. I don't see how you can claim NPP is among the worst while being objective. What was California Calling? It was not a song that sounded like the Beach Boys as you say...it was a song by the Beach Boys TRYING to sound like the Beach Boys. I don't want the Beach Boys or Brian to try and sound "like" anything. I want it to sound good period. I think RD sounds good..you don't...guess we are done.

While you're entitled to your opinion about Runaway Dancer, I can objectively say that I like California Calling.  I think it's one of the better moments on the otherwise lackluster Beach Boys 1985 album. 

So, while I can objectively say that I enjoy a Beach Boys song that's not that popular among die hard fans, then it's possible for a die hard fan to objectively say they don't like the NPP record. 

Being entitled to an opinion is a given in any instance. That does not equate to being objective. Any objective critique of Brian and the Beach Boys body of work that puts NPP among the worst is not to be taken seriously. California Calling...terrible lyrics...terrible production...terrible in every aspect. I'm being very objective.

I think we're talking semantics (some antics?  I'm always up for some antics).  

Granted, I was misusing the term.  But, I think it's difficult for anyone to really be objective about music, something that's so opinion based.  That's why I typically ignore critics when it comes to the stuff I buy.  
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 19, 2015, 12:25:16 PM »

The energy of "shouting" his verses as opposed to singing them and knowing Landy was right there hanging over Brian like Peter Pans shadow? We'll agree to disagree on that one.

I don't care that you or anyone else did not like NPP, however it baffles me that someone on a site for hardcore fans would consider it that bad. Seriously, Brian and the Beach Boys have done plenty of pretty darn bad over the 50 plus years. I'd take Runaway Dancer any day over California Calling or Rock and Roll to the Rescue or Nighttime and on and on.

You think that hardcore fans have a specific orthodoxy with regard to what albums are liked and disliked? Let's embrace the diversity of opinions around here. Of course, someone saying he'd take Runaway Dancer over those three examples baffles me (since the three examples actually sound like Beach Boys songs), but hey. Horses for courses.

While you're entitled to your opinion about Runaway Dancer, I can objectively say that I like California Calling.  I think it's one of the better moments on the otherwise lackluster Beach Boys 1985 album. 

So, while I can objectively say that I enjoy a Beach Boys song that's not that popular among die hard fans, then it's possible for a die hard fan to objectively say they don't like the NPP record. 

While I am not disagreeing with your assessment overall, I cannot agree about it being objective. Sure, you can say these things 30 years down the line but, were the lyrics terrible in 1985? Maybe, but the words in that song were the vernacular at the time. Terrible production in 1985? Not then, it wasn't. I was very much top of the line for 1985. Read some reviews from back then. It was one of the things it received praise for in 1985. All very much subjective in my book when you look at things with 30 years of hindsight.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 19, 2015, 06:09:33 PM »

Real BB.

Telling you I don't care that much was my attempt to take the high road in a discussion going nowhere. Do you want to keep arguing for the sake of arguing? I guess I'll take the low road.

I don't respect your "opinion" concerning NPP. It is as preposterous as people on Amazon giving L&M 1 star and saying it was the worst movie ever. That is not a matter of opinion or taste, it is flat out ridiculous. There were dozens of films out this year alone that paled in comparison to L&M. That is my point of issue with your assessment of NPP. If you really think NPP is among the worst then I wonder what Brian has done that you do like.

Again, like what you like. Some people think a can of spam tastes better than a ribeye. Hmmmm ...ok.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 19, 2015, 06:43:40 PM »

Real BB.

Telling you I don't care that much was my attempt to take the high road in a discussion going nowhere. Do you want to keep arguing for the sake of arguing? I guess I'll take the low road.

I don't respect your "opinion" concerning NPP. It is as preposterous as people on Amazon giving L&M 1 star and saying it was the worst movie ever. That is not a matter of opinion or taste, it is flat out ridiculous. There were dozens of films out this year alone that paled in comparison to L&M. That is my point of issue with your assessment of NPP. If you really think NPP is among the worst then I wonder what Brian has done that you do like.

Again, like what you like. Some people think a can of spam tastes better than a ribeye. Hmmmm ...ok.

Oh dear.  Thud
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 19, 2015, 07:16:02 PM »

Arguing with people about what they like or don't like is pointless.  It's like when my kids were little, and I'd want them to try a new food - lets say spinach - and they'd ask "does spinach taste good?"  And I'd say "it tastes good - if you like spinach".
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 19, 2015, 07:28:11 PM »

Real BB.

Why put "opinion" in quotation marks? Care to explain what exactly my assessment of NPP is to you? I never said or even implied that NPP was "the worst album ever" or even the worst Brian album ever (that goes to GIOMH or the Disney trainwreck). I even explained what I disliked about the record. Most people giving those 1-star reviews are TROLLS. If I was trolling I wouldn't even write out a damned series of paragraphs to explain it. I mean hey, I don't get the sheer love for this record, but I'm not going to criticize people for it or think their opinions matter less.

I like most everything Brian did with the Beach Boys, the self-titled, and parts of every solo album since (yes, even NPP).

NPP is hardly a can of spam, though. More like marmite. Love it or hate it. Smiley

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: October 19, 2015, 11:57:23 PM »

I can buy that. Hell, although we are at complete opposites of the spectrum in many ways (this one included),  I'm not going to diss you for you opinion. Maybe I'm too close to be unbiased, maybe not. Not for me to decide. All I know is, I love the sh*t out of this record. Yes, I am a Brianista in most senses of the word, but I am also blunt as hell. I have made no bones about my dislike for Imagination, and side 2 (not counting San Francisco) of Orange Crate Art are the worst thing he's ever recorded, ranking down there with 'Speed Turtle' and the remake of 'Spirit of Rock and Roll'. So, with that in mind, NPP is by far my favorite solo album, and is my favorite stuff he's done in my life time (I'm 37). *This* is Brian fully engaged, and more enthusiastic about newer material than he's been in a very long time. Notice how the material has stayed in the shows, except Runaway Dancer (which I think was dropped more to fan reaction than Brian's own feelings on the song*).

Anyway, nobody's opinions are going to change. I know mine won't.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: October 20, 2015, 12:40:50 AM »

To reprise a hoary old adage, opinions are like assholes: everybody's got one and some stink more than others. They're  just opinions, not immutable truth.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KDS
« Reply #210 on: October 20, 2015, 05:18:36 AM »

Real BB.

It's one thing to praise an album.  Or criticize it.  Or offer any other kind of varying opinions. 

But to come out and say that one doesn't respect another's opinion, and that it's "preposterous"?  It's an album, a collection of songs.  Not everybody is going to like it. 

Stuff like this is why SSMB is getting a bad reputation. 
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 20, 2015, 06:44:20 AM »

Aesthetic judgment is neither completely objective nor completely subjective.

I mean, the Beach Boys were objectively better than the garage band I had when I was 13. The Beach Boys were objectively better than the Sunrays, or Ronny and the Daytonas, or the Ripchords. The Beatles were objectively better than the Swinging Bluejeans or Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas. It's not all subjective.

But neither is it all objective. What's the best lp of 1966 : Pet Sounds? Revolver? Blonde on Blonde? There is no objective answer to that, but can't we say that, objectively, Pet Sounds was at least a good album?

NPP is obviously more of a problematic case than is Pet Sounds.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 20, 2015, 07:07:04 AM »

How can you not jam to this! Cool Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMGCurhSCkM

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #213 on: October 20, 2015, 07:16:50 AM »

I think there's a good melody in there.   But, I just don't like dance music.  And despite my dislike for dance/EDM, I tried to like this track over the summer as my fiance likes it.  But, I finally gave up on it. 
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 20, 2015, 07:25:24 AM »

Real BB.

It's one thing to praise an album.  Or criticize it.  Or offer any other kind of varying opinions. 

But to come out and say that one doesn't respect another's opinion, and that it's "preposterous"?  It's an album, a collection of songs.  Not everybody is going to like it. 

The guy claimed it was among the worst records by Brian and or the Beach Boys. Go back and read it. Considering things like Summer In Paradise or GIOMH or most of MIU, '85 or Keepin The Summer Alive, or Brian's sub par vocals on several solo efforts..........I find that statement preposterous. I get that everyone has their own taste and opinion. Jimi Hendricks was a great guitarist. I happen to not like his music or singing hence I have no Jimi Hendricks in my music collection.

Stuff like this is NOTHING as far as this board getting a bad reputation.  People argue here every day and they (we) always have. 

I'm done with this thread. I like NPP a lot, you think most of it's good, TRBB thinks most of it's crap. Got it.
KDS
« Reply #215 on: October 20, 2015, 07:38:16 AM »

Real BB.

The guy claimed it was among the worst records by Brian and or the Beach Boys. Go back and read it. Considering things like Summer In Paradise or GIOMH or most of MIU, '85 or Keepin The Summer Alive, or Brian's sub par vocals on several solo efforts..........I find that statement preposterous. I get that everyone has their own taste and opinion. Jimi Hendricks was a great guitarist. I happen to not like his music or singing hence I have no Jimi Hendricks in my music collection.

Stuff like this is NOTHING as far as this board getting a bad reputation.  People argue here every day and they (we) always have. 

I'm done with this thread. I like NPP a lot, you think most of it's good, TRBB thinks most of it's crap. Got it.

I read TRBB's opinion on NPP.  While I don't necessarily agree with it, I respect it.  I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but I think that's all any poster on this board asks when they post their opinion. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 20, 2015, 08:07:56 AM »

Who is this "Jimi Hendricks" guy?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 20, 2015, 09:14:14 AM »

TURN THAT CRAP OFF! LOL

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 20, 2015, 10:40:47 AM »

What you talking about Mike's christmas single? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 20, 2015, 10:47:45 AM »

Its time!
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,21360.0.html

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 20, 2015, 07:03:50 PM »

Actually, I'd probably rather listen to Runaway Dancer than Santa's Goin' to Kokomo. LOL

KDS
« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2015, 05:26:19 AM »

Actually, I'd probably rather listen to Runaway Dancer than Santa's Goin' to Kokomo. LOL

That's a tough one.  But, I think I'd rather listen to the novelty Xmas song. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx