gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:48:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Pier Pressure - 4 Months Later  (Read 34660 times)
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2015, 07:10:31 AM »

I haven't listened to NPP or any song on it since about June, and that's possibly due to fatigue.  So many months spent in anticipation, reading every snippet of news I could find about the album, listening and re-listening to every crappy 30 second iTunes sample sample, scrubbing through hours of BBC radio archives to listen to Sail Away.  Then it's finally released and I play it non-stop for a month.  Yeah, it might be fatigue.

Here's what's funny, though.  I'm watching TV news with my 10 year old son just yesterday, and somebody says the word "unconditional."  The boy immediately starts crooning, "There's only one kind of love, the kind that I've been dreaming of..."

That's staying power.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 19, 2015, 07:13:52 AM »

The album was an EP's worth of righteousness and a lot of dreck. It isn't as horrible an experience as GIOMH thanks to the tracks with Al, Blondie, and David. Without those and a couple others, the album would have scored much lower than the 1.5 I gave it on here.

It proved to me that in essence Brian hasn't made a truly righteous solo record since the self-titled. The self-titled sounds even better now than it did when I first heard it fifteen years back. Brian has never recaptured that energy on any of his solo records.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 19, 2015, 07:26:18 AM »

I was just thinking of posting on this topic.    I put this on in my garage the other day while tinkering with my antique car.  a beautiful day, sunny and crisp fall day.   I had forgotten the lead off track.   Absolutely perfect timing,  Great vibe.  Just stood and listened.    but then, Run Away Dancer followed........I agree with another poster that this song should have been elsewhere on the album, not following TBD
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 19, 2015, 07:35:55 AM »

The album was an EP's worth of righteousness and a lot of dreck. It isn't as horrible an experience as GIOMH thanks to the tracks with Al, Blondie, and David. Without those and a couple others, the album would have scored much lower than the 1.5 I gave it on here.

It proved to me that in essence Brian hasn't made a truly righteous solo record since the self-titled. The self-titled sounds even better now than it did when I first heard it fifteen years back. Brian has never recaptured that energy on any of his solo records.

The energy of "shouting" his verses as opposed to singing them and knowing Landy was right there hanging over Brian like Peter Pans shadow? We'll agree to disagree on that one.

I don't care that you or anyone else did not like NPP, however it baffles me that someone on a site for hardcore fans would consider it that bad. Seriously, Brian and the Beach Boys have done plenty of pretty darn bad over the 50 plus years. I'd take Runaway Dancer any day over California Calling or Rock and Roll to the Rescue or Nighttime and on and on.
KDS
« Reply #179 on: October 19, 2015, 07:42:44 AM »

The energy of "shouting" his verses as opposed to singing them and knowing Landy was right there hanging over Brian like Peter Pans shadow? We'll agree to disagree on that one.

I don't care that you or anyone else did not like NPP, however it baffles me that someone on a site for hardcore fans would consider it that bad. Seriously, Brian and the Beach Boys have done plenty of pretty darn bad over the 50 plus years. I'd take Runaway Dancer any day over California Calling or Rock and Roll to the Rescue or Nighttime and on and on.

I'm not the biggest fan in the world of BW 88.  But I'll take California Calling or Rock and Roll to the Rescue over Runaway Dancer any day of the week. 

At least California Calling sounds like The Beach Boys. 

Runaway Dancer, to me, belongs in the same conversation as Here Comes the Night '79 or Summer of Love.  And much like Here Comes the Night '79, it breaks up a nice laid back album.   

When it first came out, I thought Runaway Dancer was going to grow on me.  I even kinda liked the live version from Soundstage and the one I heard in Philly.  But, as the novelty faded, so did any chance of me liking that song. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 19, 2015, 07:50:46 AM »

Re: Runaway Dancer breaking flow, what stops you make a playlist without it? And isn't it cool to actually have unusual unexpected sequence? I like it, it's fun.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 19, 2015, 07:54:09 AM »

I'd agree that BW88 stands head and shoulders above just about everything else Brian has put out under his own name. That album sounds like a man making up for lost time.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #182 on: October 19, 2015, 07:56:02 AM »

Re: Runaway Dancer breaking flow, what stops you make a playlist without it? And isn't it cool to actually have unusual unexpected sequence? I like it, it's fun.

When I put NPP in my player, I usually skip around.  

But I also really enjoy playing an album from start to finish the way it was intended.  If I'm in the mood, or on a car trip, I do that with NPP and just put up with the eight minutes of the album I don't much care for.  (I kinda do that with the fake studio bits from SDV2, All Summer Long, and Today).  

I don't mind putting a compilation on random, but I usually don't like doing that with LPs.  
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 19, 2015, 08:14:07 AM »

You think that hardcore fans have a specific orthodoxy with regard to what albums are liked and disliked? Let's embrace the diversity of opinions around here. Of course, someone saying he'd take Runaway Dancer over those three examples baffles me (since the three examples actually sound like Beach Boys songs), but hey. Horses for courses.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 19, 2015, 08:18:55 AM »

Who said Brian's tracks should necessarily sound like BBs? He heard what his daughters submitted and turned to those artists to record a duo. For a change. Why not?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 19, 2015, 08:21:03 AM »

They don't have to sound like the Beach Boys. No one here is against change or taking chances (ever heard of Pet Sounds?) yet when taking chances leads to crap like Runaway Dancer, some will criticize.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:22:20 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 19, 2015, 08:26:27 AM »

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. After wishing that Brian would try something different I then heard Our Special Love and almost vomited in my mouth.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 19, 2015, 08:27:26 AM »

You must hate Brian, don't you? DON'T YOU?!?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 19, 2015, 08:29:23 AM »

They don't have to sound like the Beach Boys. No one here is against change or taking chances (ever heard of Pet Sounds?) yet when taking chances leads to crap like Runaway Dancer, some will criticize.
Alright. The way you and previous poster(s) worded it seemed like that was the main reason for not liking RD, what with slapping it against some 80s songs to compare.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 19, 2015, 08:30:22 AM »

You think that hardcore fans have a specific orthodoxy with regard to what albums are liked and disliked? Let's embrace the diversity of opinions around here. Of course, someone saying he'd take Runaway Dancer over those three examples baffles me (since the three examples actually sound like Beach Boys songs), but hey. Horses for courses.

What is supposed to sound like a Beach Boys song? These guys have done styles from rap, classical, synth, pop, rock, country, disco, acoustic, bossa nova, exotica, barbershop, surf rock, psychedelia, r&b, moog rock, hell they even invented their own genres, and now Brian did some EDM. These guys are the epitome of "give no f***s", pardon my french Grin

Doesn't bother me that people dislike Runaway Dancer, it's definitely not for everyone. Personally, it reminds me of Love You in that its drenched with synth, opens the album in the most crazy way possible, purely Brian Wilson in my opinion.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #190 on: October 19, 2015, 08:40:30 AM »

I suppose we can count our blessings.  We almost got a song with Frank Ocean rapping on a Brian Wilson album.  Luckily, Brian said he didn't want it on the record because it's "not singing." 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 19, 2015, 08:44:45 AM »

Him and Lana del Rey. 2 artists I don't care and that's a big understatement (notwithstanding great detailed post by monicker awhile back telling she even knew and heard Dennis Wilson, wow).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:45:37 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #192 on: October 19, 2015, 08:53:28 AM »

Him and Lana del Rey. 2 artists I don't care and that's a big understatement (notwithstanding great detailed post by monicker awhile back telling she even knew and heard Dennis Wilson, wow).

Yes, I really doubt The Last Song would've been as good with Lana Del Rey on lead. 
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 19, 2015, 09:04:48 AM »

Yes, I really doubt The Last Song would've been as good with Lana Del Rey on lead. 

I was really looking forward to hearing her sing a BW song, but The Last Song is so "meh" to me that I probably would have been disappointed anyway.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #194 on: October 19, 2015, 09:36:27 AM »

I'll buy that. It's his only consistently good album. All the others have a handful of good tracks, in some cases buried beneath some awful production (Imagination, GIOMH, Sweet Insanity too). I can take about half of Lucky Old Sun and that half is excellent. but the rest drifts over me - likewise TWGMTR: one great songs, several really good ones and the rest are indifferent (though rarely offensive as they are on GIOMH and Sweet Insanity).  The obvious qualms with 88 are the shouty vocals and the production values of the period. The songs, even the less ambitious quirky ones, work. Then again, since Love You (and with the exception of POB), the Boys have only ever come up with half decent (to varying degrees) albums and some of them aren't even that.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 19, 2015, 11:10:02 AM »

California Calling was but one horrible, lazy, uninspired example of the Beach Boys coming off as totally over and done. Runaway Dancer sounds like Brian Wilson and some other people singing and having fun by trying something different. It's got a good beat, it's catchy and it's outside the box. That's my opinion...do you embrace that? An opinion should at least be objective. I don't see how you can claim NPP is among the worst while being objective. What was California Calling? It was not a song that sounded like the Beach Boys as you say...it was a song by the Beach Boys TRYING to sound like the Beach Boys. I don't want the Beach Boys or Brian to try and sound "like" anything. I want it to sound good period. I think RD sounds good..you don't...guess we are done.
KDS
« Reply #196 on: October 19, 2015, 11:18:42 AM »

California Calling was but one horrible, lazy, uninspired example of the Beach Boys coming off as totally over and done. Runaway Dancer sounds like Brian Wilson and some other people singing and having fun by trying something different. It's got a good beat, it's catchy and it's outside the box. That's my opinion...do you embrace that? An opinion should at least be objective. I don't see how you can claim NPP is among the worst while being objective. What was California Calling? It was not a song that sounded like the Beach Boys as you say...it was a song by the Beach Boys TRYING to sound like the Beach Boys. I don't want the Beach Boys or Brian to try and sound "like" anything. I want it to sound good period. I think RD sounds good..you don't...guess we are done.

While you're entitled to your opinion about Runaway Dancer, I can objectively say that I like California Calling.  I think it's one of the better moments on the otherwise lackluster Beach Boys 1985 album. 

So, while I can objectively say that I enjoy a Beach Boys song that's not that popular among die hard fans, then it's possible for a die hard fan to objectively say they don't like the NPP record. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 19, 2015, 11:52:19 AM »

Let's be reasonable about objectivity and subjectivity. KDS, to say you objectively can say you like something is basically just saying you're being objective in your reporting of your subjectivity.

Objective assessments should be of the music. Is it in time, in tune, original, derivative, sloppy, etc. Then comes our subjective assessment.

Pardon likely blunders or typos, I'm on a phone & at work. Hope the point was clear though

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2015, 12:00:36 PM »

Let's be reasonable about objectivity and subjectivity. KDS, to say you objectively can say you like something is basically just saying you're being objective in your reporting of your subjectivity.

Objective assessments should be of the music. Is it in time, in tune, original, derivative, sloppy, etc. Then comes our subjective assessment.

Pardon likely blunders or typos, I'm on a phone & at work. Hope the point was clear though

Yes, I knew I needed that third cup of coffee. 

So, then my assessment of California Calling, NPP, etc etc is just subjective I suppose. 

Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 19, 2015, 12:01:40 PM »

While you're entitled to your opinion about Runaway Dancer, I can objectively say that I like California Calling.  I think it's one of the better moments on the otherwise lackluster Beach Boys 1985 album. 

So, while I can objectively say that I enjoy a Beach Boys song that's not that popular among die hard fans, then it's possible for a die hard fan to objectively say they don't like the NPP record. 

Being entitled to an opinion is a given in any instance. That does not equate to being objective. Any objective critique of Brian and the Beach Boys body of work that puts NPP among the worst is not to be taken seriously. California Calling...terrible lyrics...terrible production...terrible in every aspect. I'm being very objective.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx