gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:24:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Pier Pressure - 4 Months Later  (Read 34479 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2015, 08:42:23 AM »

According to Brian, Melinda had a hand in the production.

We were talking about your wife and it’s my understanding that she is now a large part of your musical work on your new album, No Pier Pressure.

Yes. My wife had certain collaborators in mind for me and duets, so she called them up. She also helped out on the production.

http://www.icondv.com/interviews/brian-wilson-06-2015.html

Tord - could you please put that link on the "why you hate Mike" thread?

It's current, with Brian's opinion of his cousin.

Thanks.  Wink

Shhhh! Nobody was supposed to hear that. Brian "slipped up" in that interview. Time for some more coaching and rehearsing for that fall Love & Mercy promotional tour.

What weren't we supposed to hear? That Brian thinks Mike isn't a jerk? Anyone with half a brain here knows Brian publicly praises Mike for his contributions to the Beach Boys constantly, and publicly shares a high opinion of Mike ever so often in interviews. I'm sure the Mike apologists think this is some sort of checkmate on the Brianistas lol. Brian has his public opinion of Mike. I have my own opinion.

Also, not sure why filledeplage thinks this interview belongs in the 'Why Do You Hate Mike Love?' thread - this interview has nothing to do with why some fans hate/dislike Mike Love. Let's try to keep things on topic, filledeplage Wink
Here's why...

First, it's recent.

Second, it counters the false narrative that Brian hates his cousin, Mike. Perhaps Brian is a "fan" of Mike's vocals? As much as Mike is a "fan" of Brian's compositional work.

Third, it is relevant to that topic.  Wink

Taking this to PMs as it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. This is a thread about Brian's new album. If you wanted the interview posted in the Mike Love thread post it there yourself. Again, try to keep things on topic.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2015, 08:46:59 AM »

We were talking about your wife and it’s my understanding that she is now a large part of your musical work on your new album, No Pier Pressure.

Yes. My wife had certain collaborators in mind for me and duets, so she called them up. She also helped out on the production.

Thanks.  Wink

Shhhh! Nobody was supposed to hear that. Brian "slipped up" in that interview. Time for some more coaching and rehearsing for that fall Love & Mercy promotional tour.

What weren't we supposed to hear? That Brian thinks Mike isn't a jerk? Anyone with half a brain here knows Brian publicly praises Mike for his contributions to the Beach Boys constantly, and publicly shares a high opinion of Mike ever so often in interviews. I'm sure the Mike apologists think this is some sort of checkmate on the Brianistas lol. Brian has his public opinion of Mike. I have my own opinion.

Also, not sure why filledeplage thinks this interview belongs in the 'Why Do You Hate Mike Love?' thread - this interview has nothing to do with why some fans hate/dislike Mike Love. Let's try to keep things on topic, filledeplage Wink
Here's why...

First, it's recent.

Second, it counters the false narrative that Brian hates his cousin, Mike. Perhaps Brian is a "fan" of Mike's vocals? As much as Mike is a "fan" of Brian's compositional work.

Third, it is relevant to that topic.  Wink

Taking this to PMs as it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. This is a thread about Brian's new album. If you wanted the interview posted in the Mike Love thread post it there yourself. Again, try to keep things on topic.
It was incorporated in the interview. 

The question was asked and answered. 

It may have a valid spot in both threads.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2015, 08:51:09 AM »

It has nothing to do with the topic of NPP, keep it in the Mike Love thread currently going.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2015, 08:54:34 AM »

Back on the NPP topic....

Has anyone else noticed a slight similarity between Our Special Love and Spring Vacation.

Just before the chorus, "nothing but nothing" sounds a tad like "get up and hit up." 

I'm sure it's not intentional, but I notice it every time. 

Also, I don't think the songs are too similar, but I do get a bit of a Strange World vibe when I listen to Saturday Night. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2015, 08:56:06 AM »

It has nothing to do with the topic of NPP, keep it in the Mike Love thread currently going.
Ah...yes it does.

Two things are going on...

1. The movie L&M.

2. NPP.

Brian calls his cousin, Mike "an anchor" and "a good man."

How about them apples? (As was said in Good Will Hunting)  Wink
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2015, 10:16:32 AM »

Has anyone else noticed a slight similarity between Our Special Love and Spring Vacation.

Just before the chorus, "nothing but nothing" sounds a tad like "get up and hit up." 

Oh it's more than a slight similarity. It struck me on first listen: I know I wrote about it in the thread that ran when that song first appeared in 2014, the thread where Hollens posted.

By the way, while I still don't love that song's boy-band cheese factor, there are some nice changes in the NPP version that help me enjoy it more.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2015, 10:17:33 AM »

Thanks.  Wink

'Coaching and rehearsing'?! For f***'s sake....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2015, 10:29:32 AM »

Thanks.  Wink

'Coaching and rehearsing'?! For f***'s sake....
Billy - I asked Tord to put the link up because I didn't know how to do it on an iPad.  Wink
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2015, 10:30:58 AM »

Oh no, that's cool...I was responding to Sheriff basically calling Brian a puppet.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2015, 10:31:10 AM »

Oh it's more than a slight similarity. It struck me on first listen: I know I wrote about it in the thread that ran when that song first appeared in 2014, the thread where Hollens posted.

By the way, while I still don't love that song's boy-band cheese factor, there are some nice changes in the NPP version that help me enjoy it more.

Granted, I've never heard the 2014 Hollens version, but the version on NPP doesn't strike me as being "boy band-ish."  I don't hear anything in it that makes me recall with cringe worthy boy bands of the late 1990s (what a terrible time for music).  Granted, I think it would sound better with actual instruments, but I think the harmonies are very good on that song.  
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2015, 10:34:48 AM »

deleted
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:36:40 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2015, 10:47:18 AM »

Granted, I've never heard the 2014 Hollens version, but the version on NPP doesn't strike me as being "boy band-ish."  I don't hear anything in it that makes me recall with cringe worthy boy bands of the late 1990s (what a terrible time for music).  Granted, I think it would sound better with actual instruments, but I think the harmonies are very good on that song.  

Oh it's not dramatically different, just some different parts added and/or differently mixed. The part I find cringeworthy is Hollens's lead. Not that he's a bad singer, it just is so cheesy at that point overall. :55 seconds or so up until the "Spring Vacation " bit is its first go-round. Just not a fan.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

KDS
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2015, 10:54:03 AM »

Oh it's not dramatically different, just some different parts added and/or differently mixed. The part I find cringeworthy is Hollens's lead. Not that he's a bad singer, it just is so cheesy at that point overall. :55 seconds or so up until the "Spring Vacation " bit is its first go-round. Just not a fan.

Gotcha

I didn't much care for the song at first, but its grown on me with each listen.  When I hear Hollen sing, I get the impression he was a big fan of Spandeau (sp) Ballet and other 80s groups with lead singers wearing tuxs on MTV trying to be the next crooner.  And he also kinda reminds me of Chris DeBurgh (Lady in Red). 
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2015, 11:55:28 AM »

Ah...yes it does.

1. The movie L&M.

2. NPP.

Brian's opinion is irrelevant to the 'why I hate Mike Love' thread unless Brian hates Mike Love (although since the interview quoted there was another in which Brian said he didn't talk to Mike as I recall...).
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2015, 11:57:41 AM »

Back on topic, Our Special Love is perhaps my favourite of the whole album though there is a moment on Saturday Night that I really love too.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2015, 12:05:42 PM »

Ah...yes it does.

1. The movie L&M.

2. NPP.

Brian's opinion is irrelevant to the 'why I hate Mike Love' thread unless Brian hates Mike Love (although since the interview quoted there was another in which Brian said he didn't talk to Mike as I recall...).
So...Brian doesn't get an opinion?

Brian can't be a fan of Mike's lyrics?
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2015, 12:15:05 PM »

He most definitely can, and he is.

And, since Brian likes Mike Love, his interview doesn't really belong in a "Why do you hate Mike Love" thread. I don't see what's hard to understand about this.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »

Everyone can post whatever he or she wants, but seriously, please, can we have one thread that isn't infected by the antagonistic Love-hate and Love-apologetics (itself seemingly mostly an excuse for people to behave shittily toward each other)? Please? Or does the entire General On Topic Discussions forum have to be a cesspool? Please quarantine whatever garbage you feel the need to incessantly retry where the rest of us can keep clean.

But hey, you don't have to. So maybe don't.   

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2015, 03:30:04 PM »

Ah...yes it does.

1. The movie L&M.

2. NPP.

How can Brian have an opinion on 'why I hate Mike Love' when Brian doesn't hate him? Unless you're now suggesting he does!
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2015, 04:45:31 PM »

Anyway, The Last Song doesn't do anything for me. The first time I heard I was like okay, that just slid by, but maybe it grows on me. It hasn't, so far.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2015, 05:26:33 PM »

Anyway, The Last Song doesn't do anything for me. The first time I heard I was like okay, that just slid by, but maybe it grows on me. It hasn't, so far.

There was too much hype for it, imo.  I like Summer's Gone much more.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2015, 07:15:57 PM »

Actually it reminds me a lot of Winds of Change. A much better written song, but a similar sound.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2015, 08:32:17 PM »

It's Ok (To coin a phrase), but it just hasn't bowled me over. I guess I should also sit down with it again and see if it moves me differently.

I played it a couple time, when it came out, and thought it was good.  I sometimes let albums mellow on the shelf for as long as the good Lord says.  It will get me when it's ready to get me.

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2015, 04:16:40 AM »

My NPP favorite songs are mainly the lighter ones. On The Island, Runaway Dancer, Saturday Night... Especially the last two are something new in Brian's canon, and they have the same spirit as the BB's earliest hits - nothing deep, but catchy and fun! Fun! Fun!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
KDS
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2015, 05:13:43 AM »

There was too much hype for it, imo.  I like Summer's Gone much more.

I liked The Last Song a lot the first couple times I heard it.  But, it's one track that appeals to me a little less with each listen.  I agree that there was a lot of hype to live up to. 

To me, it's not the closer that Southern California or Summer's Gone are, but it sounds like it's trying to be.   
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx