gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:25:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Pier Pressure - 4 Months Later  (Read 34473 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2015, 12:24:41 PM »

No Pier Pressure sounds like Joe all over it. He had to have done the post production work.

Except he didn't.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2015, 12:30:14 PM »

Just today while on the bus, "Tell me why" came into my mind again. I've said it before: it's such a monster of a song! One of Brian's (!) best imo... if the lyrics were more connected. Right up there with "She knows me too well" which I consider a absolute highlight in Brian Wilson's/The Beach Boys' catalog.

That's what's so great about it I think: it's not a song merely hinting at some kind of vague potential that might "still be there". It's much more than that, truly a "Today/Pet Sounds update at age 72" kind of song.

Also, I agree with Tony S that Al's vocals elevate it to another level.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2015, 01:23:36 PM »

No Pier Pressure sounds like Joe all over it. He had to have done the post production work.

You can believe what you like. But there are those of us who _know_ otherwise.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2015, 02:49:01 PM »

I'm sorry that I wasn't in on the "us who_know_otherwise" list. Still, it sounds like his work. If Brian did do all the work, then he definitely likes Joe Thomas' style. I still don't like it any better knowing it is Brian.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2015, 03:01:23 PM »

I'm sorry that I wasn't in on the "us who_know_otherwise" list. Still, it sounds like his work. If Brian did do all the work, then he definitely likes Joe Thomas' style. I still don't like it any better knowing it is Brian.

And that's perfectly fine. For instance,  I'm not as fond on TLOS as many here ( prefer the demos, and hate the spoken word bits).

One improvement with NPP over much of thw solo catalog my opinion are the bass lines.  Oh, and it doesn't sound like he's copying himself.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2015, 03:20:29 PM »

Joe clearly did work on the album -- he co-wrote the songs, and helped produce and play on some tracks. His team mixed at least some of the songs.

But Joe lives in Chicago, and Brian did most of the work for NPP in LA. Joe simply wasn't around for a good chunk of Brian's vocal recording, as well as the final stages of overdubbing and sweetening. That was BW and his new best pal, Wesley Seidman. And while Joe may have had his crew, Brian had folks running interference on his side, too -- such as Don Was, who wrangled the A&R side of things and had BW's back throughout the record.

Finally, let's not forget that One Kind of Love and Somewhere Quiet seem to have been created and recorded without JT involvement at any stage of the process.

The credit to note on the record is not the BW/JT production one, but the "Arranged by Brian Wilson" line. Notice that BW is there on his lonesome? That means something, and it's backed up by the off-the-record accounts that Billy and I and others have heard.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:22:11 PM by Wirestone » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2015, 03:59:36 PM »

My feelings on this album can be summed up adequately by one exact moment on this album, and that is the transition from "This Beautiful Day" to "Runaway Dancer". One moment, I'm experiencing bliss, assured that Brian can still make beautiful music. The next, I'm hit by a train with "COMMERCIAL INTERESTS" scrawled on the front of it in neon paint. Really, I find the problems to be mostly with the collaborations. Some are pleasant and inoffensive, like "On the Island" and "Guess You Had to Be There" (I still think that could be a hit on country radio stations). Others are... confusing. "Our Special Love" isn't out and out terrible, but once it really gets going, I feel like we should start picking which of the band members is the cute one, which one is the mysterious one, which one is the funny one, and which one is Danny Wood (if you're asking yourself "who's Danny Wood?", that's the point; if you didn't need to, we should hangout sometime). The other one that hasn't been mentioned is "Saturday Night", which I'm sure many people like, but isn't really my thing. Cool middle 8, though.

I'd also like to touch on the production, which I honestly don't much care for. You can tell me that Brian himself wanted it (and I do believe that he did), but it still wouldn't be a style of production that I enjoy listening to. You can tell me that it's what the people from the 60s wanted, but that doesn't change my opinion either. Why should I care what they wanted? The records came out the way they did and those are the records that people love, and they love them for a reason. If Brian feels this is the production sound he wants, then more power to him. I'm happy he's getting what he wants.

Anyway, that said, I quite like "This Beautiful Day", "Whatever Happened", "Half Moon Bay", "I'm Feeling Sad", and "One Kind of Love". Love that OKoL melody. When looking at my list of favorites, it seems obvious (to me, at least) that my favorites are the ones where Brian is the most prominent person (or an instrumental of his). Honestly, this was not a conscious decision on my part, but simply how my I felt after giving this album a few listens. I think Brian still has the ability to do great things.

I'd like to go off topic at this moment and take the opportunity to plead with Brian not to make a rock 'n' roll cover record, but to write and record his own music. There's a limited amount of time to get new music from him, and I would hate to see that he devote a large bit of his time to what could amount to a novelty album. Once again, if this is what Brian has really set his heart on doing, then I'll accept that for what it is. I just want more of his own, original work is all. Perhaps that's selfish of me.

Lastly, I would like to compare the amount of younger people vs. older people that like "Runaway Dancer". I think the results might be surprising.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 04:06:50 PM by Schmubbly Schmaves » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2015, 04:09:26 PM »

Why did Brian Wilson (or whoever) sue Joe Thomas? What was the outcome of the lawsuit?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2015, 04:11:07 PM »

we should start picking which of the band members is the cute one, which one is the mysterious one, which one is the funny one, and which one is Danny Wood

Scott, Darian, Nelson, and Paul, respectively.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2015, 04:14:31 PM »

Why did Brian Wilson (or whoever) sue Joe Thomas? What was the outcome of the lawsuit?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-wilson-settles-suit-with-former-partner-20000718

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2015, 05:14:37 PM »

Thank you, Captain!

"Brian's wife Melinda Wilson sued Thomas, claiming that the producer used his association with her husband to raise his industry profile and wrongfully enrich himself through his association with the former Beach Boy. Thomas ripped a lawsuit back at Mrs. Wilson alleging that she had "schemed against and manipulated" both himself and Brian."

Melinda schemed and manipulated against Joe Thomas? And Brian? Oh yeah, let's ask the co-producer, collaborators, and musicians how much input Brian had/has in his albums. I'm sure they'll all be very forthcoming.
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2015, 09:58:07 PM »

According to Brian, Melinda had a hand in the production.

We were talking about your wife and it’s my understanding that she is now a large part of your musical work on your new album, No Pier Pressure.

Yes. My wife had certain collaborators in mind for me and duets, so she called them up. She also helped out on the production.

http://www.icondv.com/interviews/brian-wilson-06-2015.html
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2015, 10:09:40 PM »

She does his voice too, it's all ventriloquism. Sinister sh*t, man. Brian has to sleep in a carrying case all night.
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2015, 11:03:07 PM »

She does his voice too, it's all ventriloquism. Sinister sh*t, man. Brian has to sleep in a carrying case all night.

Just to be clear, I like Melinda. She seems like a nice lady. My post was in no way intended as a criticism of Melinda, Brian or NPP. I'm not one of those who thinks that Brian is being manipulated (and there is no doubt in my mind that he could produce an album all by himself, if he wanted to). I just thought this was relevant information, since there was a discussion about the production of the album, and nobody mentioned Melinda's involvement.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2015, 11:19:24 PM »

Listened to it a few times, but it didn't grab me. Tired of the MOR direction Brian's gone in recent years.
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2015, 11:29:35 PM »

Before I heard NPP, I read quite a few reviews of it.  The majority of articles that had anything negative about it was because they didn't like how much it sounded like a Beach Boys album... which I thought was a pretty stupid argument.  Brian came up with the Beach Boys sound, therefor the Beach Boys sound is Brian's sound.  So... they don't like that Brian's sound sounds like Brian's sound?  I've learned long ago that a critic's opinion can be pretty worthless, nothing changed here.

When I did hear NPP, I wasn't surprised by the first few songs.  Sounded pretty beachy to me.  But everything else... I could not imagine these songs on Today!  Or even Summer Days [And Summer Nights!!].  (People, please do not try and point out to me how they could peacefully co-exist on older albums.  I can't even see 'The Girl From New York City' sitting on the album it's sitting on.  It's too different from the rest of the album.  And I LIKE that song.)  All these critics are hearing something that I'm not.  I'm bopping and tapping along with the songs, but the styles hit me from every which direction.  They're not hitting the "this is Beach Boysish" nerve.  In fact, the nerve being hit is a bit closer to the "kinda like "Weird Al" doing 12 genres on the same album" nerve.  Okay, maybe I'm the one hearing something different from the critics.  But I'm fine with that.  I like it.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2015, 08:15:56 AM »

A lot of people here don't know what happens when you get older. Unfortunately I do. As people get older, they change, especially and even more so if they are carrying some physical or emotional baggage from the past. Folks are saying that they couldn't imagine these songs on the " Today " album. Well of course not. Brian is a completely different person than he was forty or fifty years ago. Don't expect another " Today " or " Pet Sounds. " it's just no going to happen. Her k, we are lucky he's even around and releasing anything.
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2015, 10:22:41 PM »

You're misunderstanding me, jeffh.  The reason I said I couldn't imagine these songs on Today! isn't because I expected more of Today!  It's that the reviews I've read complain NPP is too much like Brian's past stuff.  I was saying that 1- the critics come up with some pretty stupid arguments.  2- I don't agree with the critics about it sounding like past stuff.  Sure I may have been listening to NPP with an ear out for a past repeat, but only because the critics complained about it and I intended to form my own opinion.  But as I said, I didn't hear whatever it was the critics heard.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
KDS
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2015, 05:18:02 AM »

I listened to a few tracks on my way home on Friday evening.  When I skip Runaway Dancer, it really sounds like This Beautiful Day and Whatever Happened should've been back-to-back to start the album. 

After a long work week, This Beautiful Day, Whatever Happened, Our Special Love, and Sail Away got me in a relaxed weekend mode. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2015, 05:28:28 AM »

We were talking about your wife and it’s my understanding that she is now a large part of your musical work on your new album, No Pier Pressure.

Yes. My wife had certain collaborators in mind for me and duets, so she called them up. She also helped out on the production.

Tord - could you please put that link on the "why you hate Mike" thread?

It's current, with Brian's opinion of his cousin.

Thanks.  Wink
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2015, 07:36:15 AM »

His best original solo album so far. On the Island is my all time favorite BW solo song. A small, perfect gem.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2015, 07:40:49 AM »

Thanks.  Wink

Shhhh! Nobody was supposed to hear that. Brian "slipped up" in that interview. Time for some more coaching and rehearsing for that fall Love & Mercy promotional tour.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2015, 08:05:00 AM »

Thanks.  Wink

Why should this be posted on the 'Why I hate Mike Love' thread? As Brian isn't giving a reason he hates Mike, in fact saying in response to "Talking about the Boys, in the film Love & Mercy, Mike Love comes across as a controlling jerk. Did the director Bill Pohlad portray him accurately? Did actor Jake Abel?" with

"I don’t think he’s a jerk. I do believe that he was portrayed very well in that movie."

Brian also said that Mike was a good man. But those are BRIAN'S opinions. Not everyone has to agree with them. And what is it that the Mike apologists always say when Brian makes a comment they don't like? 'That's what Brian says today. What will he say next week?'
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2015, 08:09:23 AM »

Thanks.  Wink

Shhhh! Nobody was supposed to hear that. Brian "slipped up" in that interview. Time for some more coaching and rehearsing for that fall Love & Mercy promotional tour.

What weren't we supposed to hear? That Brian thinks Mike isn't a jerk? Anyone with half a brain here knows Brian publicly praises Mike for his contributions to the Beach Boys constantly, and publicly shares a high opinion of Mike ever so often in interviews. I'm sure the Mike apologists think this is some sort of checkmate on the Brianistas lol. Brian has his public opinion of Mike. I have my own opinion.

Also, not sure why filledeplage thinks this interview belongs in the 'Why Do You Hate Mike Love?' thread - this interview has nothing to do with why some fans hate/dislike Mike Love. Let's try to keep things on topic, filledeplage Wink
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:10:19 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2015, 08:35:28 AM »

Thanks.  Wink

What weren't we supposed to hear? That Brian thinks Mike isn't a jerk? Anyone with half a brain here knows Brian publicly praises Mike for his contributions to the Beach Boys constantly, and publicly shares a high opinion of Mike ever so often in interviews. I'm sure the Mike apologists think this is some sort of checkmate on the Brianistas lol. Brian has his public opinion of Mike. I have my own opinion.

Also, not sure why filledeplage thinks this interview belongs in the 'Why Do You Hate Mike Love?' thread - this interview has nothing to do with why some fans hate/dislike Mike Love. Let's try to keep things on topic, filledeplage Wink
Here's why...

First, it's recent.

Second, it counters the apparently false narrative that Brian hates his cousin, Mike. Perhaps Brian is a "fan" of Mike's vocals? As much as Mike is a "fan" of Brian's compositional work.

Third, it is relevant to that topic.  Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx