gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:28:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Pier Pressure - 4 Months Later  (Read 34484 times)
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 02:10:44 PM »

Most offensive solo Brian album behind Imagination. Praying that Thomas and the 'guest singers' will leave for good.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 03:11:33 PM »

I like the album, although I think I prefer TWGMTR overall.  Personal highlights for me are
Whatever Happened
Brian's vocal on On The Island (suggestive of the Classic 60s vocal sound)
Al's vocals (The Right Time, Tell Me Why)
The sublime tag on Tell Me Why
Blondie's vocal on Sail Away
"I couldn't hear my heart / Calling out for you-u-u"

For me, a truly excellent album could perhaps be fashioned from the best of NPP and TWGMTR.  I dunno...

This Beautiful Day
That's Why God Made The Radio
Whatever Happened
Isn't It Time
Shelter
Half Moon Bay

Sail Away
Tell Me Why
Think Abiut The Days
Strange World
From There To Back Again
Pacific Coast Highway
Summer's Gone

(Honourable mentions for Our Special Love and Saturday Night which I love but don't really fit such is youthfulness of the guests, and Bill and Sue which has terrific background vocals and a great refrain but I guess is a little lightweight if I'm more objective about it).

I wonder what the Sheriff could come up with  police
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:21:03 PM by Sam_BFC » Logged

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 03:17:07 PM »

Most offensive solo Brian album behind Imagination. Praying that Thomas and the 'guest singers' will leave for good.

Thomas was not that involved with NPP as one would think...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 03:24:53 PM »

I went bananas and played it non-stop for a couple weeks, but haven't gone back for since.

It is his best solo album imo.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »

that terrible fucking techno song eliminates it from being rated as his best.. COME ONNNN
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2015, 03:54:36 PM »

Just played it last week for the first time in a while, just 'cuz it's summertime. It still sounds good to these ears for the most part; my early impressions haven't changed. I doubt if I will listen to the entire album after this summer though. I will take the highlights and put them into best-of playlists and that will be it.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 04:10:19 PM »

It holds up - still sounds great. And as I did in the spring, I'll say again this is an audiophile quality recording, some of the sounds of individual instruments are as good as anything I've heard this year. The mix is superb as is the recording itself.

My go-to song is still Guess You had To Be There - has "hit" written all over it. It could still go to radio if promoted the right way. And The Right Time, also Sail Away both sound terrific still, although hearing the actual singers do the song live was something really great to experience, Brian-Al-Blondie trading those leads live with a more hard edge courtesy of the best live band working today...that's good stuff, right there.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2015, 04:16:51 PM »

It's grown on me a lot. I REALLY wish it had been a Beach Boys album. The Al/Blondie contributions are GREAT! I think if you take the deluxe edition and pare it down to 12 or so songs it could be pretty solid. Especially if there had been a Mike collaboration included additionally. I think Kacey Musgraves on Guess You Had To Be There would still work on a BB album as well. The guests on the songs otherwise do kind of ruin it for me.. especially though on Our Special Love. I LOVE Brian's parts.. but the guests part (don't recall the name right now) really is too boy band-ish for me.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2015, 04:29:19 PM »

Let's be honest, by "Beach Boys" that's supposed to mean Mike Love, right? That's the kind of hangup that continues to hover like a shadow over this and other solo BW projects, right? And in my opinion, for no logical or even realistic reason at this point since Mike got exactly what he wanted around the fall of 2012 and it was full steam ahead. And again, fans who were on board smiling and waving as that ship left the dock were in full support, so they got what they wanted too.

Part of the album if you look at it conceptually was putting all of that stuff away, what happened did indeed happen and let it drift into the past, and here is a new album of songs to listen and form opinions and hopefully enjoy.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »

I enjoy the songs with Brian, Al, and Blondie, but the others I always skip. The production on the whole album is too clean and makes it almost unlistenable in my opinion.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2015, 04:40:20 PM »

I like clean productions, "Aja" by Steely Dan has been my go-to reference disc for mixing and testing equipment for years. The sonics of that record are impeccable, and for a record as full of tracks as NPP in the digital era, I put it pretty close to Aja. Personal preferences.

Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2015, 04:52:13 PM »

I still love it and I played it every day for months but hey, it's Brian fuckin' Wilson and that is good enough for me.
AdultContemporaryChild
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2015, 05:06:24 PM »

I think I'd be keener to write a 33 & 1/3 book on Summer In Paradise than to listen to this album again.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2015, 05:27:15 PM »

I never meant to insinuate that Joe Thomas was involved with NPP -- of course that isn't the case. We all know that "produced by Joe Thomas" wasn't a credit attribution, it was just ¸.•*""*•. ¸magical writing¸.•*""*•. ¸, inscripted for the purpose of summoning autotune, sleazy yacht rock song structures, and adult contemporary arrangements directly from the nether realm.

Watch as the MOR disappears once "produced by Joe Thomas" is erased -- now you hear it, now you don't!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »

Loved it the day I got it and listened to it start to finish in the car.  First time I heard Surfin USA and Fun Fun Fun was in my Dad's car back in '63 and '64.  Brian's tunes work really well in a moving vehicle.  Love the new album more now.  Agree with those who rank it along with BWPS as his best.  To me it sounds exactly like Brian Wilson material.  Like BANG on.

I was disappointed he didn't do at least twice as many NPP songs on the tour.  At least 1/2 the show should be solo stuff...with the new album highlighted big time.  Brian is a contemporary artist too.  The balance needs some tweaking.  He's so much more than a Beach Boy.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2015, 05:45:10 PM »

that terrible fucking techno song eliminates it from being rated as his best.. COME ONNNN

You have no idea what techno actually sounds like, do you?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2015, 05:49:07 PM »

I never meant to insinuate that Joe Thomas was involved with NPP -- of course that isn't the case. We all know that "produced by Joe Thomas" wasn't a credit attribution, it was just ¸.•*""*•. ¸magical writing¸.•*""*•. ¸, inscripted for the purpose of summoning autotune, sleazy yacht rock song structures, and adult contemporary arrangements directly from the nether realm.

Watch as the MOR disappears once "produced by Joe Thomas" is erased -- now you hear it, now you don't!

If that was sarcasm, I strongly suggest you reconsider.  Makes you look very foolish when those who actually know far more than you reads something like that.

It's one thing to not like the album. Hey, we all have different opinions. Makes the world go around and all that mess. However, Thomas's involvement was far less than on Imagination or TWGMTR, whether you want to accept that or not.  Don't take my word for it...ask anybody involved with the making of the album, or heck, Thomas himself. Once you've done that, get back to me.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:11:30 PM by ♩♬ Billyman ♯♫♩ » Logged

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2015, 06:54:21 PM »

It hasn't resonated with me too much. It's not a turkey like GETTIN' IN OVER MY HEAD, or a near classic like THAT LUCKY OLD SUN. Too many guests. Average by the standards of Brian Wilson.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2015, 07:14:28 PM »

"No Pier Pressure" is very down on my list of favorite Brian Wilson albums.  Much of it doesn't even musically sound like Brian to begin with, and once it came out Brian said "I can't write a song to save my life" in Rolling Stone Magazine..  So it appears it's Brian Wilson, and not the other guests, who is the true guest star on his own album.  The songs are very un-Brian like.
Just wrong, no other words but a steaming pile of wrong!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »

I still think it's his best work since Friends.

'This Beautiful Day' reminds me of 'Meant For You' in it's opening track simplicity. The harmonies are flippin stunning.
'Runaway Dancer' reminds me of a modern day Love You track. It's ballsy, synthy, and that middle-eight is damn beautiful.
'Guess You Had To Be There' is a hit single....why it wasn't released as a single still baffles me. It also blows my mind that this didn't have a music video made for it.
'Sail Away' yet another classic - will be playing this for years and years to come.
'Saturday Night' yet another hit, imo.

If I had one thing I could change about the album, it would be to swap out 'Tell me Why' and replace it with 'I'm Feeling Sad' - the latter has so much more of a Brian feel to it, and it fits perfectly between GYHTBT and Sail Away.

An album full of hits, sung by talented singers/artists, directed by Brian Wilson. Couldn't get more perfect than that, folks.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2015, 07:22:28 PM »

I don't care what people say-
In my opinion, this is THE BEST BW solo album (not counting BWPS). It has everything you could wish for. Even Runaway Dancer isn't a bad song. Brian actually wrote it in the 90's. For those who say BW didn't actually contribute that much, I call Bullsh*t. This record has BW all over it. In production techniques (actually musicians playing) arrangement (diverse instruments used), and vocals (those harmonies are definitely BW, no one can arrange harmonies like he can!)

I think these are some classic songs. I listen to songs from the record every day. "The Right Time" is one of my alltime favorite songs. I don't know why, it just gives me a great feeling.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2015, 07:39:29 PM »

"No Pier Pressure" is very down on my list of favorite Brian Wilson albums.  Much of it doesn't even musically sound like Brian to begin with, and once it came out Brian said "I can't write a song to save my life" in Rolling Stone Magazine..  So it appears it's Brian Wilson, and not the other guests, who is the true guest star on his own album.  The songs are very un-Brian like.
Just wrong, no other words but a steaming pile of wrong!

Never let the truth get in the way of an argument, they say.  Grin

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2015, 07:57:53 PM »

NPP is still in my car CD player, and I still listen to it. Not all the time, but pretty regularly.  I still enjoy it a lot.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2015, 08:18:51 PM »

Pretty much, I like On The Island but that's about it.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2015, 08:55:31 PM »

I still really enjoy it. It's like TWGMTR part two.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx