gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680722 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 07:42:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why do you hate Mike Love?  (Read 166947 times)
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 12, 2015, 04:52:54 PM »

This is all so, so weird. I can't think of another band who have fans who, if not hate, strongly dislike a core member of said band.

Are there Who fans who despise Roger Daltry? Led Zepplin fans who loathe Robert Plant? And even as controversial as she's been, can you still be a Supremes' fan and hate Diana Ross?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 12, 2015, 05:05:27 PM »

This is all so, so weird. I can't think of another band who have fans who, if not hate, strongly dislike a core member of said band.

Are there Who fans who despise Roger Daltry? Led Zepplin fans who loathe Robert Plant? And even as controversial as she's been, can you still be a Supremes' fan and hate Diana Ross?

This music connects deeply with most of us - at a spiritual level probably. At some point in our lives we've probably all looked toward this music to cheer us up, or we'll put on Pet Sounds when we fall in and out of love. When the driving force behind those songs gets called "controlled" and "handled" or his past drug use is constantly brought up, or he's called out of shape, overweight, his prescription drug regimen is talked about, when his current singing voice is looked down on - ALL from one guy talking to media outlets - it's no wonder that the guy would have a certain level of animosity aimed at him from fans.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 12, 2015, 05:08:14 PM »

Van Halen - Sammy Hagar
Metallica - Lars
Grateful Dead - Donna Godchaux
Everyone hates Bono...

I could keep going.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 12, 2015, 05:51:52 PM »

You know, I'm going back to the original subject right now because I have a question.  I'm rather fascinated by the fact that anyone who objects to anything Mike does, or doesn't like some of his music is treated like a "Mike hater."  But those who attack Brian relentlessly, most often as some sort of misguided defense of Mike as it seems to appear, are never called "Brian haters." What's with that?

Granted, if you go to a concert with Mike's band, you're predominantly hearing Brian's music, so you must not hate his talents.  But some of you never give the man a break, even with that particular fact being part of the whole equation.

We could swap the two names, Mike and Brian, and it would be equally applicable. We should all take more care about how we speak about each other and the Boys I suppose.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 12, 2015, 06:07:03 PM »

This music connects deeply with most of us - at a spiritual level probably. At some point in our lives we've probably all looked toward this music to cheer us up, or we'll put on Pet Sounds when we fall in and out of love. When the driving force behind those songs gets called "controlled" and "handled" or his past drug use is constantly brought up, or he's called out of shape, overweight, his prescription drug regimen is talked about, when his current singing voice is looked down on - ALL from one guy talking to media outlets - it's no wonder that the guy would have a certain level of animosity aimed at him from fans.

This. Mike should listen to the Honeys song, "You Brought it All On Yourself" when he wonders why people begrudge him after he repeatedly talks to media outlets the way he does these days.  If those statements decreased, some of the deep fan dissatisfaction directed squarely at him would dissipate. At least somewhat. Does anyone doubt that?
Isn't that better for himself, the fans, and the BB community in general?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 06:28:05 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 12, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »

This video is why I don't like Mike Love. It's all about him and cheep tacky sexual crap, not the BBs music. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zIJTHUkjLVo

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up  Yeah, SB, kinda makes you wanna head for the showers after watching myKe luHv continue to hack away at the legacy. At least staYmohs wasn't along for the ride on this particular outing. He's about as entertaining as watching paint dry or a snake shedding his skin.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 12, 2015, 06:28:53 PM »

I think "hate" is too strong a word for most fans. I don't "hate" Mike. Heck, there are people who have actually, deeply and personally hurt me that I don't hate. So, why would I waste that kind of negative energy on someone I don't know and never met?

But, Mike is a public figure who seems to be lacking in diplomacy. He gives interviews and says tactless things. He sues people. He says insensitive things about his cousin that are insulting, while at the same time,  his cousin praises him as a genius lyricist. His actions are a matter of public record, and I don't have to admire everything he does and says... Publicly. In interviews and such. And, I think when someone publicly says and does things, those things are open to criticism. Publicly.

No one is out to get Mike. Well, a couple of people, but we all know who they are. In fact, I gave him all kinds of props during the C50. But, since then, he has done things that I find annoying.  And, since this is a Beach Boys discussion group, we will continue to discuss those things.

Mike feeds his own controversy. Fans are going to discuss it. If Mike and his supporters want people to stop griping about what he says… publicly… they should strongly suggest he stop saying controversial things… in public.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 12, 2015, 06:49:49 PM »

I remember hearing that they booed Diana when she attended Florence Ballard's funeral  Undecided.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 12, 2015, 08:31:33 PM »

You know, I'm going back to the original subject right now because I have a question.  I'm rather fascinated by the fact that anyone who objects to anything Mike does, or doesn't like some of his music is treated like a "Mike hater."  But those who attack Brian relentlessly, most often as some sort of misguided defense of Mike as it seems to appear, are never called "Brian haters." What's with that?

Granted, if you go to a concert with Mike's band, you're predominantly hearing Brian's music, so you must not hate his talents.  But some of you never give the man a break, even with that particular fact being part of the whole equation.
Please be so kind as to point me in the direction of anyone who hates Brian? I have been here for years and nobody treats Brian in the manner that Mike is treated. Not even close. Some of us do not think Brian saintly, as you do, but on the whole, we understand Brian's importance and understand the struggles he has endured. Personally, I don't know any of the guys enough to hate any of them. I don't think any of the bandmembers hate each other, either.

Ah, and I wasn't disappointed by the replies to this question.  Somehow my comment indicates that I think Brian is "saintly."  Yep, that's what I said, um, where exactly?
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 12, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »

Show me one person on here who 'hates' Brian.

I knew I could count on you...the guy who said that Brian's fans only dislike SIP because Brian isn't on it.  

Nobody has made nastier comments about Brian than you, on a regular basis - please note the previous posts here pointing out what you've said.  Yet, apparently there's no one here who hates Brian, according to you.  So what makes you think that people who don't like something Mike said or recorded are Mike haters?  Please explain the difference?  That WAS my original question after all.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 08:41:32 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: August 12, 2015, 08:41:35 PM »

Van Halen - Sammy Hagar
Metallica - Lars
Everyone hates Bono...

I could keep going.
Sammy Hagar - not a core member, Donna Godchaux - can't get less core. And U2 fans hate Bono? If so, that is even more weird than Beach Boy fans hating Mike Love. How can you at once love a band and hate the guy who writes and sings the songs you presumably love?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 12, 2015, 11:03:45 PM »

I knew I could count on you...the guy who said that Brian's fans only dislike SIP because Brian isn't on it.  

Nobody has made nastier comments about Brian than you, on a regular basis - please note the previous posts here pointing out what you've said.  Yet, apparently there's no one here who hates Brian, according to you.  So what makes you think that people who don't like something Mike said or recorded are Mike haters?  Please explain the difference?  That WAS my original question after all.

Yes I HATE the man who created some of my favourite music of all time. Because? Oh no! I thought Brian's latest album was rubbish! Boo hoo! Save some of those tears for when you watch Love & Mercy for the 80th time.
Let's compare;
Brian's latest album is a pile of sh*t.
Mike Love is a sleazy creep, a bald clown who is a laughing stock of the industry, a talentless piece of sh*t who's insanely jealous of his cousin and is making a mockery of The Beach Boys with his crappy 'bar band'.

Paraphrasing aside, you can't see the difference in those two statements?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:08:04 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 12, 2015, 11:28:45 PM »

WHERE IS OLD SURFER DUDE? HE'S GOTTA BE THE BIGGEST MIKE HATER OF ALLTIME. (Except for Dennis maybe... Lol  LOL)

I don't think very many people on this site HATE Mike. Sure, he can be arrogant, condescending, and rude. But he is also a great singer and lyricist.

After a certain year in the band's history, did Dennis really begin detesting/hating Mike?  Or is that blowing things out of proportion? I cannot think that Dennis' issues with Mike can be chalked up solely to Dennis' own alcoholism... it had to run deeper than that.

It took me a long time to answer your question, but I don't think Dennis actually HATED Mike- It was just a joke. I think at the end of the day, they were family, and somewhere, deep down, they loved each other.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #663 on: August 13, 2015, 01:59:51 AM »

I don't hate Mike. I think he's been a twat sometimes and, yes, there's an air of stinky revisionism about him lately and there's always been an air of self-promotion. However - he wrote the lyrics for The Warmth of the Sun! Did you do that? He sang I Get Around! He has - or had, at least - a great voice. If you can overlook the 80s, he's generally been a great frontman. He's still flying the flag - and one of a much broader hue than in the past and, yes, that might be down to Brian and band rasiing the bar, but he's doing it nevertheless and his live shows have been better in the past ten years than they had been in the previous twenty-five. If he's an asshole, he's our asshole. What I can't figure is why this thread has gone on so long. It's the same stuff with the same whiners on both sides going on an on and on like they do in many other threads. It's now got to the stage where at least one poster is clearly bending over backwards to defend the indefensible to the extent that it's a fucking joke. Still, thank God, Mr Daro and Mr Parks aren't contributing...
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 13, 2015, 03:05:48 AM »

Not hate for Mr Love. But from what I understand he isn't the easiest person to have a working relationship with.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 13, 2015, 04:13:10 AM »

If he's an asshole, he's our asshole.

Wisest words so far. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #666 on: August 13, 2015, 05:13:03 AM »

Van Halen - Sammy Hagar
Metallica - Lars
Everyone hates Bono...

I could keep going.

There's a very vocal minority of VH fans that hate Hagar.  Most VH fans I know like Roth & Hagar.  Some of them even prefer Sammy.  I used to work in rock radio, and everybody at the station was a Van Halen fan.  Not one person hated Sammy. 

Those that hate Sammy are the usually suspects who go on Blabbermouth and rip every metal or hard rock band for "selling out" or "note releasing anything good since their 4th album". 

Lars.  Well.  OK, you might have a point there.  But that guy has made some decisions that really hurt Metallica's reputation forever.  However, even though he didn't use any tact, he was right about Napster.  But he should've attacked the company, not the fans. 

I think Bono has become such a parody of himself, that he's hard to hate these days.  It's almost sad.  I will say, I don't like his politics, but he's a really good frontman. 

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 13, 2015, 05:57:59 AM »

But those who attack Brian relentlessly, most often as some sort of misguided defense of Mike as it seems to appear, are never called "Brian haters." What's with that?

I think that is true, usually those perceived that way aren't called "Brian hater".  Usually, it seems to me, the terms used for accusing these members are some version of "Mike defenders", "Mike lovers", Mike fellator", "Mike's friend", "Mike's employee", some version of supposedly taking Mike's name in vain.

I don't hate any of them but I assume the point is we should all be kinder and I agree.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 13, 2015, 05:58:26 AM »

Please be so kind as to point me in the direction of anyone who hates Brian? I have been here for years and nobody treats Brian in the manner that Mike is treated. Not even close. Some of us do not think Brian saintly, as you do, but on the whole, we understand Brian's importance and understand the struggles he has endured. Personally, I don't know any of the guys enough to hate any of them. I don't think any of the bandmembers hate each other, either.

Ah, and I wasn't disappointed by the replies to this question.  Somehow my comment indicates that I think Brian is "saintly."  Yep, that's what I said, um, where exactly?
I have never read where you negatively criticized Brian since you joined here, yet you defend people who trash Mike. Nice move. When you first joined here, you thought I was criticizing Brian and you flew off the handle. It's the same reason why I don't like any of the bandmembers getting ripped in here. I just think that it is possible to criticize without the name calling.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 13, 2015, 06:20:25 AM »

Van Halen - Sammy Hagar
Metallica - Lars
Everyone hates Bono...

I could keep going.

Regrettably, Yoko and Linda took a lot of vlak after (if not before) The Beatles folded, when they joined their respective partners onstage and in the studio.

Gotta love Bono.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:44:27 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 13, 2015, 07:29:17 AM »

I just think that it is possible to criticize without the name calling.

This. I am admittedly a new fan--in the sense that my fanaticism is new. I have been soaking up info and history from this board and BB related books, video and music for the past year. One thing has become abundantly clear, all band members are human and have made mistakes to varying degrees. None of them should be above criticism, but when it comes to name calling and other junior high behavior it becomes tedious and adds nothing to the discussion.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 13, 2015, 08:06:55 AM »

Yes I HATE the man who created some of my favourite music of all time. Because? Oh no! I thought Brian's latest album was rubbish! Boo hoo! Save some of those tears for when you watch Love & Mercy for the 80th time.
Let's compare;
Mike Love is a sleazy creep, a bald clown who is a laughing stock of the industry, a talentless piece of sh*t who's insanely jealous of his cousin and is making a mockery of The Beach Boys with his crappy 'bar band'.

You called the new BW album a pile of sh*t, you said it sucked but you didn't buy it, but you point at others for bashing Mike? That sounds like hypocrisy to me and reeks of a Mike Love fanboy's argument.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 13, 2015, 08:24:14 AM »

Nobody has made nastier comments about Brian than you, on a regular basis - please note the previous posts here pointing out what you've said.  Yet, apparently there's no one here who hates Brian, according to you.  So what makes you think that people who don't like something Mike said or recorded are Mike haters?  Please explain the difference?  That WAS my original question after all.

Let's compare;

You called the new BW album a pile of sh*t, you said it sucked but you didn't buy it, but you point at others for bashing Mike? That sounds like hypocrisy to me and reeks of a Mike Love fanboy's argument.
Wait a minute here, am I misreading this? What does not liking the album have to do with personally bashing Brian? He may have used strong language against the album, but I read nothing that attacked Brian, personally.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 13, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »

Fact is there is very little of Brian's work post Immagination that I like, now I COULD invade every thread on this board daily and turn it into a let's trash Brian's recent works but
(a) I have better things to do with my life and
(b) people would get sick of it very quickly.

Also strongly disliking someone's output is not the same thing as constant personal attacks on someone.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 13, 2015, 08:49:29 AM »

Nobody has made nastier comments about Brian than you, on a regular basis - please note the previous posts here pointing out what you've said.  Yet, apparently there's no one here who hates Brian, according to you.  So what makes you think that people who don't like something Mike said or recorded are Mike haters?  Please explain the difference?  That WAS my original question after all.

Let's compare;

Wait a minute here, am I misreading this? What does not liking the album have to do with personally bashing Brian? He may have used strong language against the album, but I read nothing that attacked Brian, personally.

I'd love to see Mike's Beard call Brian's new album a "steaming pile of dogshit" to Brian's face. He wouldn't do it. Why? Because it's a completely crass thing to say. It would have the potential to hurt Brian's feelings if said to his face...And if something has the potential to hurt someones feelings, it's an attack. And I'm sure, Mike's Beard, that Brian wouldn't lose sleep over it, but again, you'd never say that to his face because it's a dick thing to say...so why say it here?

Brian has said (paraphrasing) that his music comes from inside of him, a place in his soul/heart. His music is very personal, and when you compare his music to animal waste in an absolutely childish manner, you're attacking Brian in a way.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx