gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:51:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why do you hate Mike Love?  (Read 167413 times)
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 03:25:40 PM »

I don't hate Mike at all. I think he's kinda funny, in an unintentional way. Smiley
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 04:21:20 PM »

I certainly don't hate Mike -- I respect and admire many of the things he's accomplished.

What does annoy me : he drew the wrong conclusions from the fluke hit that was 'Kokomo', and piloted the band into the creative and commercial dead end that was 'Summer in Paradise'.

And also, Brian wanted to continue the Beach Boys as a recording act, but Mike let his ego get in the way.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 04:43:59 PM »

I think that bucket loads of people have major issue with Mike because he appears to be one of the most outwardly defensive celebrities/entertainers ever. People can forgive shortcomings, but many, many, many people get very, very, very annoyed by those who seemingly deny responsibility/culpability, and seemingly show zero personal regret (in particular, culpability for inadvertently hurting others) at virtually all times.

Publicly-speaking, Mike does the defensive dance just about as much as a person could possibly defend themselves. Which ironically only stokes the flames further, which must be the opposite of Mike's intentions. If there was even one major interview where he let his guard down, he could benefit very much image-wise. At least a 15-25% improvement across the board, IMHO.

The major haters would turn into moderate haters, the people who dislike him would only slightly dislike him, and those who kind of thought he was a bit of a jerk would possibly think he was now humanized, and feel he was a flawed but good person ultimately. And if the interview seemed truly, truly sincere, that interview would be posted repeatedly on message boards, and there'd be less instances of the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous interview being posted.

It would quite possibly go viral.

There's still time for this improvement in his public image, whether a slight improvement, a moderate improvement, or even a noticeable improvement to happen. Hasn't there ever been an instance of a celebrity who, after an interview or two of deep soul searching, became more publicly rehabilitated image-wise, and more highly thought of, than previously before? I'm sure it's happened. I truly, truly want very much this to happen to Mike, and I want his contributions to be better appreciated, but not letting his emotional guard down will surely = no dice for any image-improvement to happen, now or likely ever.

An important thing to note, is even if Mike thinks he's unfairly picked on (which he is), and that he never did anything "wrong", the key is recognizing and verbalizing that there may have been inadvertent personal mistakes made by him, not necessarily on purpose, at various points over the years. It takes emotional maturity to be able to recognize and admit to that. If he wants more appreciation and recognition for his musical talents... DOING AN INTERVIEW LIKE THAT IS THE BEST AND ONLY CHANCE for such improved appreciation/reputation happening in any way, shape or form.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:48:31 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 05:16:04 PM »

i hate him!

- his dance moves give me douche chills
- his hall of fame speech just oozes "asshole"
- his outrageous pomposity, as displayed on lifestyles of the rich and famous
- he's a hacky singer
- his arrogance regarding sobriety 
- student demonstration time

that being said the original big sur is like one of the best songs of all time.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 05:19:42 PM »

He is an asshole who arrogantly treats BW like dirt.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:21:29 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2015, 05:26:12 PM »

He had the sheer audacity to be in the Beach Boys whilst not being Brian Wilson - the nerve of the man.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2015, 05:26:59 PM »

i hate him!

- he's a hacky singer

All that plus:

First Hate

Country Hate

Looking Back With Hate

Make Hate Not War

Sumahateya

Everyone Hates You

I Hate My Pisces Brother

Daybreak Hates The Ocean

I Hate Wrinkles

Transcendental Medihatefest

Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2015, 05:28:37 PM »

He had the sheer audacity to be in the Beach Boys whilst not being Brian Wilson - the nerve of the man.

Sorry, but that is a completely empty argument (which others have attempted to use before too). Al, Bruce, Carl, Denny, Dave, Blondie, Ricky also had the sheer audacity to be in the Beach Boys whilst not being Brian Wilson, and none have even 0.01% of such a reputation.

Mike's reputation is not in any way, shape or form due to him not being Brian Wilson while being in the band.

However, I don't particularly doubt that Mike himself agrees with you 100%.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:36:03 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 05:33:29 PM »

i hate him!

- he's a hacky singer

All that plus:

First Hate

Country Hate

Looking Back With Hate

Make Hate Not War

Sumahateya

Everyone Hates You

I Hate My Pisces Brother

Daybreak Hates The Ocean

I Hate Wrinkles

Transcendental Medihatefest

Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation
I love OSD's sense of humor and calling out of ML's bullshit  LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2015, 05:39:15 PM »

Sorry, but that is a completely empty argument (which others have attempted to use before too). Al, Bruce, Carl, Denny, Dave, Blondie, Ricky also had the sheer audacity to be in the Beach Boys whilst not being Brian Wilson, and none have even 0.01% of such a reputation.

Mike's reputation is not in any way, shape or form due to him not being Brian Wilson while being in the band.

Exactly, nobody looks at any of the other members badly because of not being Brian Wilson. They look at Mike badly because he is a guy trying to deny BW's impact on the group and trying to make HIMSELF look bigger than BW.

jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2015, 05:47:50 PM »

There is actually a Facebook page called " Mike Love Is A Douche." It has over a thousand members. It is very mean spirited. I joined for a week just to see what it was about. Just awful. I left after a week. I'd be ashamed to be a regular member there.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2015, 05:49:20 PM »

You guys make me laugh. You are as predictable in hating Mike, as my dog is taking a sh*t first thing in the morning. I will never for the life of me understand how you can hate the lead singer of your favorite band.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2015, 05:57:31 PM »

Because we have to put up with THIS [exact] kind of S H I T.

Mike's cool.  Sometimes, like me, he says some dumb sh*t.  So what?  Saturday night he'll be aiming the Beach Boys at my front porch...if I'd have bought the house I wanted on William Street...11 months ago.  Meanwhile...I'll still be there...and NOT to hate him.

Kind of a dick-weeded question 'bro'.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 05:58:12 PM »

Exactly, nobody looks at any of the other members badly because of not being Brian Wilson. They look at Mike badly because he is a guy trying to deny BW's impact on the group and trying to make HIMSELF look bigger than BW.

My guess is that myKe luHv, instead of staying with the Beach Boys would have been much better suited for being the program and music director for "The Gong Show". Can you imagine the power he would have wielded in "gonging" things he didn't approve of? I mean, think of it, man. He's be the "King of all Gongers", with book and movie deals being thrown at him left and right.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2015, 06:01:21 PM »

He would have gonged pet sounds and smile until his ass was taken off TV. LOL LOL LOL

rogerlancelot
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2015, 06:01:49 PM »

How can you "hate Love"? That's on oxymoron. I never have been a fan of his vocals (especially his constantly out of tune bass vocals that other people don't seem to notice) and his one solo album Looking Back With Love is possibly better or worse than Going Public but it's such a close tie...

Why don't you interview Mike yourself? Maybe there could be some redemption in all of this. Otherwise, read the chapter from the FAH-Q book by Stebbins. Mi ropa interior huele a pedos. I admit that I follow OSD on Google + for some good laughs (really makes me happy at times) but Mike to me is more of a clown than a mass murderer (or a mass murderer clown like John Wayne Gacey).

And I love your monkeesbootlegs page!

Smiley

One more thing: I like Mike Love more than Courtney Love if that means anything.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2015, 06:03:31 PM »

I love Roger The Shrubber and his lifestyle in Las Vegas. Cool Guy

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2015, 06:16:26 PM »

There is actually a Facebook page called " Mike Love Is A Douche." It has over a thousand members. It is very mean spirited. I joined for a week just to see what it was about. Just awful. I left after a week. I'd be ashamed to be a regular member there.

Hey, dude, don't be slammin' one of my favorite sites on the internet. It should be required reading for everyone including fuckwits, shitweasles and last but certainly not least by any stretch of the imagination, trolls.   w00t!

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2015, 06:31:51 PM »

Because we have to put up with THIS [exact] kind of S H I T.

Mike's cool.  Sometimes, like me, he says some dumb sh*t.  So what?  Saturday night he'll be aiming the Beach Boys at my front porch...if I'd have bought the house I wanted on William Street...11 months ago.  Meanwhile...I'll still be there...and NOT to hate him.

Kind of a dick-weeded question 'bro'.

No offence but I don't have the slightest clue as to what you are talking about here.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 06:34:24 PM »

Hey, dude, don't be slammin' one of my favorite sites on the internet. It should be required reading for everyone including fuckwits, shitweasles and last but certainly not least by any stretch of the imagination, trolls.   w00t!

Do you have anything resembling an actual life?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2015, 06:38:34 PM »

Damn straight, he does! Cool

Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2015, 06:53:53 PM »

When it comes to Mike saying irksome things, I either laugh it off or ignore it.  I like what he helped create and that's all I care about.  He isn't worthy of hate in my opinion.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2015, 07:00:27 PM »

"HATE is an extremely powerful emotion to waste on someone you don't like."
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:06:08 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2015, 07:24:36 PM »

I think the oldest and original "trend" doesn't have to do with Mike's answers in recent interviews, or his Rich and Famous appearance and such... It has to do with a certain story-telling, propelled by David Leaf and others in the 70s, which wrongfully divided the BBs saga into a heroes and villains saga: Brian was the hero, the sweet, misunderstood genius; Mike was the villain, the greedy square that kept his cousin from realizing his artistic vision and somewhat guilty for his demise. The more recent crap, all of it, originates there.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2015, 07:27:13 PM »

Just blame David Leaf is the easy way out. Roll Eyes

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx