gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:16:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: White Album - Single Album  (Read 6942 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2019, 02:55:02 AM »

Apropos of the "truncated Tommy" discussion with Choc in the Who topic, I decided to revisit a similar, much more controversial issue.

I was also looking for my John-and-George-only White Album proposal to post across the road. Note that "WMGGW" isn't on it--I fail to "get" the plaudits showered on this track. I much prefer the gorgeous version George and Giles M included on Love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU4yWui_DFQ

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2019, 06:16:17 AM »

Personally, I don't want to cut it down to a single album - there are too many keepers on this album (I love every song on the album, to varying extent, but three: Wild Honey Pie, Long Long Long & Revolution 9)

As for my own playlist, I tend to add more songs. Right now, I add Lady Madonna, The Inner Light, Hey Bulldog, Not Guilty, Hey Jude and You're So Square, making it a 33-song "album" as a whole. I know it's not realistic, but it works for me.

However, I agree the idea that it was better off separated as two albums. It's just that I can't imagine how those two albums would've been.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2019, 07:28:18 AM »

Definitely a tough one but this is what I'm going for at the moment:

1.   Back in the USSR
2.   Dear Prudence
3.   Glass Onion
4.   Ob-la-di Ob-la-da
5.   While My Guitar Gently Weeps
6.   I Will
7.   Happiness is a Warm Gun

8.   Revolution
9.   Blackbird
10.   Savoy Truffle
11.   Helter Skelter
12.   Julia
13.   Mother Nature’s Son
14.   Good Night
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:51:39 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2019, 11:39:49 PM »

I personally don't have the attention span for a double album.  I'm not ashamed to admit that I would find single album versions of White Album, Physical Graffiti, Tommy, and the Wall more appealing. 
Sadly, as i get older, i find my attention span is going, too. I used to sit glued to the record player, as Bob spewed out all 120 verses of Desolation Row, Hurricane, or Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts. Now my mind starts to wander after 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
Keep it short and sweet. Straight to the point.
Maybe that's why i am going back to more 50's/mid 60's music these days. If your single ran over 3 minutes, it was less likely to get played.
Unless it was Like a Rolling Stone or Hey Jude.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx