gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:37:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In which years did each BB have a beard?  (Read 4162 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2015, 03:30:03 PM »

Carl - from 1971 up to just before his death?

Mike - 1966 to ?

Brian - mid-70s to early 80s?

Dennis - mid-70s to 1982-83?

Did any BB shave off his beard but then grow it back?
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 03:41:56 PM »

Mike - 1966 to ?

Carl shaved his beard briefly in 76 when all 3 Wilson brothers presented on the Grammy's, although it was already growing back.  It is interesting that Andy Williams introduces them as the Beach Boys, but there are only Wilsons on stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oXRzC0izd8

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 03:46:36 PM »

Beards?

We need a soundtrack, tour, reunion....anything. Please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 03:59:58 PM »

Brian had a beard in 1967.
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 05:36:37 PM »

Might be a bit off topic, but how did Boston not win that?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 06:24:05 PM »

I've had a beard since 1993.  Shaved it off twice.  But immediately grew it back both times.  I do NOT [nor have I ever] owned a PENDLETON shirt.  I have spent time on a surf board...at the beach...AND chasin' girls.

Beards I had prior to 1993 were always short term.  Chasing girls had been a full time 'thing since about 1965-66.  I have slowed that down considerably though since my 4th marriage.  Only With You was the 'song'.

Beards!!!

I wonder if any of them ever shaved their legs? Wink
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:31:50 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 08:51:57 PM »

Mike - 1966 to ?

Did you forget about Al?
1971? to 1983
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:57:48 PM »

I attempted such a thread not too long ago:

An Analysis & Conference of the Bushy Evolution of the Beach Boys's Facial Hair
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 12:09:52 AM »

Hard to believe now that Brian went a decade or so with long hair and a beard. For a guy with such a great head of hair, he sure hasn't done much with it the last 25 years or so. I think Carl really found his look when he grew the beard. Dennis looked cool with or without.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 04:11:07 AM »

Could it be that Bruce has a suggestion of chin shrubbery in this picture?

It's from the November '68 edition of Rave magazine, I'm told...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 05:09:07 AM »

Mike - 1966 to ?

I think Mike's was until 1982 or 1983, and then off and on since then.
Brian's was until at least 1984 and maybe early 1985. It was somewhat shaved at Knebworth in '80.

Dennis was beardless July 4, 1980, but I think grew it back and then maybe shaved again in '82.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 05:37:11 AM »

Al had a bushy beard in '71.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 07:15:40 AM »

Well let me just point out-

Bruce's mustache in 71-72 was downright impressive. It totally doesn't match his character, which in retrospect, makes it hilarious. I'm sure everyone can remember that picture of the shirtless mustached Bruce Johnston playing Fender bass.
And than there's the 2015 baseball hat wearing clapping Bruce. 
What happened?  Huh LOL LOL LOL Wink
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 07:24:43 AM »

I’m more interested in this stuff as it pertains to dating photos (as opposed to an actual fascination with their facial hair), but that previous thread cited above had a lot of the pertinent information. I will add that while Mike definitely shaved the beard in 1982, then briefly grew a goatee-ish thing in 1988 (as seen in the R&R hall of fame footage) and then starting in 1998 started in with the goatee on and off (and then, as that other thread showed, has on rare occasions in the 2000’s gone back to a full beard), I was recently looking up some BB photos and found this February 1992 live shot where Mike apparently grew the full beard back for a short time:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 07:31:18 AM »

Looks like it was taken in 1967. The maggie must have used an older one.  Carl and Dennis had longer hair than in 1968.  Carl probably wanted to appear in court with a shorter trimmed look.  
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 08:54:17 AM »

Having checked my files, I found rather to my delight that I was able sometime in the early 70s to nab an exclusive interview with Bruce Johnston’s nascent beard. This was about the time Arlene left me and ripped my world completely apart, a subject likely to be one of the emotional linchpins of my upcoming autobiography, “Big Sir: The Life, Love & Times of Hank Briarstem.” Unfortunately, a bout of heavy drinking and nearly a year of psychological therapy took their toll, and my files are, to be frank, a mess. The interview might have been done more recently, or not at all, still I hope you find the information useful, if not entertaining.
Hank Briarstem: Good to see you. Do I detect just a hint of fluffiness?
Bruce Johnston’s Beard: We use conditioner.
HB: Excellent! Love the look!
BJB: I long for the time I begin to go gray. We need some gravitas given that we made Surfer’s Pajama Party.
HB: Indeed. Can you talk to me about Deirdre? There is wistfulness, longing…
BJB: Bruce longed for facial hair to resemble Mike Love’s, and those feelings of fear, perhaps a bit of regret, but ultimately, affirmation certainly informed the music. We think Brian’s contribution was magnificent, by the way, as of course is true of any beard he grows. The man has a way with beards, no question.
HB: Tears in the Morning?
BJB: Bruce had shaved. There were regrets.
HB: Just a heartbreaking tune. It is apparent Bruce dearly wanted a Wilson-caliber beard.
BJB: I do my best, but the Wilson follicles have a genius few can match. Check Denny’s beards. Carl’s. These are world-class beards. Mike’s is solid. Bruce feels he can match it, but he is hesitant to try.
HB: Why the hesitation?
BJB: Put two and two together.
HB: Disney Girls. This is one of Bruce’s greatest tunes. The subject matter interests me.
BJB: Bruce longed for a simpler time, when beards weren’t an issue. Also, girls rarely are able to grow beards. He felt comforted and unthreatened. The line “Clearing skies and dryin’ eyes” was originally “Naked cheeks in Martinique.” He didn’t want to create tension with the rest of the band. But the line “I see your smile” speaks for itself, I think. Let’s just say that Mike had his suspicions.
HB: Did anything come of those?
BJB: Mike “pantsed” Bruce at a concert in Des Moines. It was all kept hush-hush. Mike had a pair of Bermuda shorts underneath the long pants, and he was deft in making it appear that this was merely an on-stage costume change. Murmur from the audience subsided when the band quickly swung into Little Deuce Coupe. This band is nothing if not durable.
HB: Bruce’s next move?
BJB: The undercurrent? Dance music. Imagine Surf’s Up set to a dance beat. Think Denny’s Drums. We’ll have to see.
HB: Thanks for your time. Good luck with the gray.
BJB: Hair today, gone tomorrow!
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 10:13:46 AM »

I believe that Bruce's falling out with Jack Reilly was related to beard issues. Meanwhile Mike could control his rate of beard growth purely through the power of TM. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, grow bristles grow...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 11:08:59 AM »

Bruce has got a William Forsythe look going on in that pic...
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 11:37:27 AM »

I thought Mike and Carl looked their best with beards..  Brian and Dennis not so much.

Brian has perfect hair for those short and moussed/ gelled hairstyles (early 60s and late 80s) while I thought Dennis looked his coolest in the early 70s with the long hair and sideburns.  Both without beards of course!
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 01:37:01 PM »

All with beards late '70s.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx