gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:58:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sloop John B in Forrest Gump  (Read 8171 times)
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2015, 06:10:28 AM »

Does anyone remember (or have the video of) the clip of Brian and Carl sitting on bench discussing SJB?  Carl had a guitar and they were discussing and demonstrating the different guitar parts.  I haven't seen this in ages and would love to see it again.  I seem to recall it might of been a bonus feature on one of the Forrest Gump releases, but I'm not totally sure on that.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:11:23 AM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 10:49:48 AM »

I remember it.
Saw it years ago online c. 2002/3 -- I seem to remember both Carl and Brian wearing shades.
I was under the impression that it was filmed for the EPK for the soundtrack.

So far, you're the only person I've ever encountered that remembers this footage, too.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 11:18:47 AM »

Yes I have these two files somewhere, they were released on a  Forrest Gump cd-rom in the early 90s.
I'll try to dig them up.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 11:52:44 AM »

AHA! That makes the search easier. Here's quote from a review of the discs: 

>>For instance, take one of my favorite songs from the movie, the Beach Boys’ ”Sloop John B.” The discs give you, in no particular order: a wide-screen replay of the scene in which the song is used (when Forrest first meets Lieutenant Dan in Vietnam); a clip of the band performing ”John B” on Dutch TV in 1968; and links to the Forrest Gump script (the full text of which is also accessible). What’s truly remarkable, though, is the accompanying print interview and snippet of video, in which Brian Wilson — in wraparound sunglasses looking like a portly Roy Orbison — evinces Gumpish befuddlement as his brother Carl explains the song’s use of ostinato. <<

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 11:56:35 AM »

I have the CD-rom too… haven't watched it in years! Never occurred to me to see if the file could be ripped by a (relatively) modern Mac - (note to self…)

“We live in divisive times.”
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 03:01:31 PM »

I have the CD-rom too… haven't watched it in years! Never occurred to me to see if the file could be ripped by a (relatively) modern Mac - (note to self…)

I think they were just two .mov files in a folder.  Aaaah, simpler times!

Your Favorite Vegetable
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 03:34:34 PM »

The CD-ROM was called Forrest Gump: Music, Artists and Times. Here's some more info on it: http://www.denslow.com/gump/gump.html
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 01:06:23 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the replies.  Yes, they both had sunglasses on, and I remember the two .mov files - much simpler times indeed!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 02:12:55 PM »

Carl was playing the two guitar parts of Sloop John B. and Brian then asked Carl something about it to which Carl answered that it was called "inversion" which got a laugh out of Brian because he never heard that. Carl then explains that "Van Dyke told me". That's all I can remember but there shouldn't be much more.
There also was a clip of Carl talking about Vietnam and his status as conscious (?) objector

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 04:59:50 PM »

excitedly awaits uploading of these videos...
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 03:09:04 PM »

Couldn't find the videos online anywhere, so I ended up getting a copy off eBay.  Haven't checked it out yet but will upload later on tonight.  Stay tuned!

GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 06:02:43 PM »

So good to see this again!  There were five different BB videos on one of the discs, here they all are as one video:  https://youtu.be/flJO6kh4T3s

The resolution on these were pretty low, 320x172.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:05:00 PM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 06:12:53 PM »

So good to see this again!  There were five different BB videos on one of the discs, here they all are as one video:  https://youtu.be/flJO6kh4T3s

Wow, thanks for posting that! Such a strange little video; fascinating to see both of them in that era.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 06:14:59 PM »

Very cool!
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 06:43:56 PM »

Awesome stuff. Smiley.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 07:18:32 PM »

brian and Carl- The Blues Brothers...  Whose idea was it to wear those ridiculous sunglasses, I wonder.
And how high were they?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 07:46:22 PM »

You can totally feel the brotherly love. I bet Brian really misses Dennis and Carl.

Hell, at this point I'm sure Al, Bruce, and even Mike miss Dennis and Carl.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 07:58:39 PM »

This is great.
Thank you.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 08:07:06 PM »

Would love to see the unedited Brian/Carl interview. Wonder if any more footage is still kicking around in an archive somewhere. So very cool to see them together, especially in that late era.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 08:41:13 PM »

Am I the only one that pictured this as some sort of deleted scene? I thought we were going to see Forrest as a member of the Wrecking Crew helping Brian and Carl with the arrangement...

Thanks for posting the video.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 09:05:55 PM »

Would love to see the unedited Brian/Carl interview. Wonder if any more footage is still kicking around in an archive somewhere. So very cool to see them together, especially in that late era.

It's also a bit odd to think of Carl watching Forrest Gump. Not that it wasn't a hugely successful movie, it's just a film that was made close to the end of Carl's life, so it's a bit like finding out that Denny was a big fan of the Police's album Synchronicity in 1983; the media near the end of those respective eras I don't necessarily think of overlapping with their lifetimes - until you see a clip like this and realize that as late as the Gump era, The Beach Boys with Carl Wilson was still very much a thing that was supposed to go on for a long time.

I wonder if Carl ever ate at a Bubba Gump Shrimp Company restaurant.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:08:58 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 11:22:32 PM »

Thank you for uploading the video. I wish there was more footage of just Carl playing guitar on his own.

BTW, any guitar buffs recognise the make/model of the guitar he's playing? I don't think that I've seen him play such a guitar before.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 01:45:41 AM »

Thank you for uploading the video. I wish there was more footage of just Carl playing guitar on his own.

BTW, any guitar buffs recognise the make/model of the guitar he's playing? I don't think that I've seen him play such a guitar before.

MFP - think it's a Gretch Pro Jet with a Bigsby

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 03:02:52 AM »

MFP - think it's a Gretch Pro Jet with a Bigsby

Thanks, Alan. Safe to say that it's not from his own collection of guitars then?

Speaking of which, I wish Billy had shown the collection of Carl's guitars when the subject of same was discussed with Justyn Wilson in the "Carl Wilson - Here and Now" DVD.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 04:00:42 AM »

I remember seeing that footage of Carl and Brian on tv once. I think it was on one of those history of rock&roll shows. I haven't seen this in years. Thanks for posting it.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx