gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:33:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Performing Together...  (Read 1982 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2015, 05:18:01 AM »

Mod Billy gave a warning...unheeded...

A new thread for this so as not to hijack the autobio thread and undermine it's great significance... Wink
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 06:47:06 AM »

So where were we then? Oh yes, Beach Boys fans on a Beach Boys message board being open to The Beach Boys reforming. Crazy huh?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 07:36:20 AM »

This new thread started so quickly by filledeplage raises a few questions:

1.why are you repeating in your last several posts the cancellation of the BW UK tour ?

2.Sounds like you have an agenda to push here for certain parties.

3. The way you keep putting words in other people's mouths like a lawyer's trick. Are you an attorney ?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 08:20:09 AM »

This new thread started so quickly by filledeplage raises a few questions:

1.why are you repeating in your last several posts the cancellation of the BW UK tour ?

2.Sounds like you have an agenda to push here for certain parties.

3. The way you keep putting words in other people's mouths like a lawyer's trick. Are you an attorney ?
Smile Brian, dear - first - mod Billy gently reminded posters to refrain from continuing to hijack Brian's autobio thread.  And to take the issues to another thread. When it wasn't, I began a new one.  Billy has locked the other hostile thread. In my years as a registered member (lurker for about 2) I've started fewer threads than the fingers on one hand.

Second - I don't like your accusatory tone. Certain parties? Do you have an agenda you're advancing? Is it beyond people that some fans wish all band members treated fairly and allowed to stand on their own merits rather than being dragged into a faction?  I don't have to do that. It's easy.

Third - this is a meeting place for fans.  That is why I'm here and who I am. What anyone does for a living or what one's skill set happens to be is no one's business. 

The issue of UK tours by BW which were cancelled was initiated by other posters and not me.  I feel sympathetic towards them missing Brian.

Are you attempting to limit/censor the scope of discussion? I like all the band members.  If you don't like it - not my problem.  Wink
KDS
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 10:15:24 AM »

I think if Brian and Al were to rejoin The Beach Boys, it wouldn't be the same kind of reunion as 2012 where we got an album, a massive tour, and a couple of live releases of questionable quality. 

If it ever did happen, I think it would just be some one off shows. 

I still think at some point, before The Beach Boys cease to exist as a live act, Brian and Al will join Mike and Bruce.  Maybe David, Blondie, and Ricky could be involved.  And they'll do a final show together as The Beach Boys.  I would imagine it would be somewhere in California, maybe the Hollywood Bowl.  I could see this happening when Mike decides to get off the road and retire.  It would be fitting if the final Beach Boys show included Brian.  When this would occur is anybody's guess.  Next year.  2020?  (Maybe they'll all get together to perform 20/20 in the year 2020). 
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 11:55:24 PM »

I have a hunch we'll see a 2016 reunion of some sort.

The_Holy_Bee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 04:35:15 AM »

I don't understand - and, therefore, will not accept emoticons or acronyms by way of response - why on a Board dedicated to the Beach Boys, and in particular one specific Beach Boys album, so many people are so dedicated to ignoring/rolling eyes at the historical record. Mike Love is not The Worst. But he is, absolutely, the most problematic political (in terms of band/public dynamics) part of the historical mix. He is also the individual most prominently least interested in the Beach Boys being a band as opposed to a brand. I'm happy to back this up, chapter and verse, including the testimony of the man himself, should this be requested.

This is not to attack Mike - or to make this thread yet another defence/attack of Mike Love scenario - but simply to state the surely abundantly obvious: there are three major artistic players in BB history: Brian, Carl and Mike. Brian led the charge until '67, then Carl. Brief resurgence of Brian, largely label-mandated. Until about '78, when over a matter of half a decade Mike was the only one willing or able to take the wheel. Then Carl again, then Mike. Credit to him for that. The albums, surely we can all agree, comparatively suffered.

What about Dennis? Well, he was a Lesser Genius in the way Brian was a Major One. With added aggressive destructive tendencies. POB is the greatest non-Brian work any of the Beach Boys were ever associated with. Neither were in a fit state from the late-sixties to the mid-eighties to lead a band. Mike, to his credit, was.

Al Jardine seems like a swell fella, and his voice is in a fine state. David Marks ditto, except maybe the second part. But why do we want Brian and Mike to reunite?  Last time it lasted less than a year, for understandable reasons, and the (objectively agreed) best part of the resulting album barely featured the latter. What's the most resonant work they did together? "The Warmth of the Sun"? The bass chorus lyric in "Good Vibrations"? All over forty years ago. The Beach Boys are Brian, in any meaningful historical context, in a way they are not Mike. Or Al. Or Bruce. Or Dennis. Maybe Carl, when he was given charge in the early '70s. Then you could have had a Band.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 04:42:10 AM by The_Holy_Bee » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx