gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 01:51:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your favorite Beach Boys "Hits' Compilation, Vinyl only!  (Read 1289 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2015, 03:21:30 PM »

so for all you people who are into Vinyl which series is,in your opinion, the best? I wanted to make it a poll but it wouldn't let me so here are the choices

1. The Endless Summer Trilogy (With Spirit of America and Sunshine Dreams)
2. Best of the Beach Boys 1-3
3. Good Vibrations (best of)
4. Ten Years of Harmony
5. Made in the USA
6. Other (Explain)

my choice goes to #1 because not only does it have most of the hits (although spread out on the 3 volumes) but they also have great "lesser known" songs... If there was a vol 4 of the series released sometime after Kokomo, with 20 more songs, from the 70's and 80's on it, then I can imagine it being almost a box set with a lot of great songs..
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 01:06:24 AM »

I bought this one after someone mentioned it in another thread a few months ago. This is so cool for a one lp comp.

The Beach Boys – Good Vibrations: Best Of The Beach Boys

A1    Sail On Sailor    3:15
A2    Sloop John B    2:55
A3    God Only Knows    2:52
A4    Darlin'    2:11
A5    Add Some Music To Your Day    3:34
A6    Wouldn't It Be Nice    2:24
B1    Good Vibrations    3:35
B2    Do It Again    2:24
B3    Caroline, No    2:52
B4    Friends    2:32
B5    Surf's Up    4:11
B6    Heroes And Villains    3:36

http://www.discogs.com/Beach-Boys-Good-Vibrations-Best-Of-The-Beach-Boys/release/2315748
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 05:25:27 AM »

so for all you people who are into Vinyl which series is,in your opinion, the best? I wanted to make it a poll but it wouldn't let me so here are the choices

1. The Endless Summer Trilogy (With Spirit of America and Sunshine Dreams)
2. Best of the Beach Boys 1-3
3. Good Vibrations (best of)
4. Ten Years of Harmony
5. Made in the USA
6. Other (Explain)

my choice goes to #1 because not only does it have most of the hits (although spread out on the 3 volumes) but they also have great "lesser known" songs... If there was a vol 4 of the series released sometime after Kokomo, with 20 more songs, from the 70's and 80's on it, then I can imagine it being almost a box set with a lot of great songs..
Best of The Brother Years vol. 3 - not an LP...

Got stuck in an old car cassette player - couldn't have picked a better one to be on replay!  LOL
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 08:45:55 PM »

I think it's hard to beat Spirit Of America. It's the perfect balance of hits and deep cuts.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:19:41 AM »

I received the Ronco "18 Original Beach Boys Super Hits" Lp in pretty good condition, for my 50th birthday.  In a wall hanging picture frame, no less.

My turntable is packed away so I haven't had a chance to take it out and play it.  I still remember those mid-70s "Ronco presents" tv commercials, so there's nostalgia in two ways. 

Now THAT'S hard to beat!   Cool
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 09:40:52 AM »

When I was a newbie in 1974-75, I first got Endless Summer and Spirit Of America. One day I was driving around in my 1971 Dodge Dart, listening to WFIL in Philadelphia, the great Jim O'Brien was the DJ, and on comes "Sloop John B". Blew. Me. Away. What was this song and why wasn't it on the two Beach Boys' albums I had? I had to have it, so I drove to the Berkshire Mall in Reading, and I found this comp, albeit a very expensive one, in the imports bin. It was a double album called The Beach Boys Best - 40 Greatest Hits; I believe it was from the Netherlands. It was so great. It not only had "Sloop John B" but a couple of songs not on ES/SOA, including some Pet Sounds tracks, and it took you through the rest of the 1960's. As I recall it was good sounding vinyl, and I immediately made a 90-minute Maxell cassette comp for the car. One of the best listening experiences of my life!
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 11:18:44 AM »

I particularly liked Endless Summer as it was my first Beach Boys album (though got it on cassette originally, then later on vinyl - never had it on CD though), but definitely grew to like Spirit of America better, still like SOA, think it's a great comp.  Never had Summer Dreams - almost got it for a birthday the year it came out, but my older sibs got me Darkness On the Edge of Town by "Da Boss" instead =P 
GV-Best of The Beach Boys was one I really liked and still think is a great comp.  It was my first introduction to "the other stuff" in the Beach Boys canon.  It led me to seek out and purchase Sunflower, 20/20 and Surf's Up. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx