gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:42:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: More releases like 'Pet Sounds' and 'Smile' sessions?  (Read 1857 times)
ruskalupagus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2015, 07:20:22 AM »

After highly enjoying listening to these two releases it's got me wondering, have any other bands released collections like this?

I know there's the Beatles anthology releases and the second disc of the "Let It Be...Naked" but what else is out there? It's very interesting hearing songs being formed in the studio, alternative takes and studio chatter.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:22:57 AM »

The Monkees have a few I think. Certainly Headquarters is one that they did this for because I have it. It's not quite in the same league as the Pet Sounds and Smile sets but still interesting nevertheless and when you consider that they were on their own for the first time with this album it is interesting listening to the band figuring it all out.
KDS
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 07:41:04 AM »

There's a lot of demos on The Beatles Anthology sets.

Also, Pink Floyd released a series of Immersion versions of many of their classic albums that contained demo / early versions of tracks. 

ruskalupagus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:01:27 AM »

Also, Pink Floyd released a series of Immersion versions of many of their classic albums that contained demo / early versions of tracks. 

Nice call on the immersion sets! I had forgotten about them. Those sound very interesting.
KDS
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 08:30:54 AM »

Nice call on the immersion sets! I had forgotten about them. Those sound very interesting.

I'm a huge Floyd fan, but its a tough call to drop a C-note for each set, so I passed.  Plus, I've acquired much of the material in the b@@tleg market. 

I wish they would've done a nice rarities boxset with outtakes, BBC stuff, demos, etc.  I'm amazed that songs like Scream Thy Last Scream still has yet to get a proper release.  Or early live recordings of Cymbaline, Embryo, The Narrow Way, Atom Heart Mother, Fat Old Sun, etc which are much different than the studio versions. 
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 05:34:48 AM »

Bob Dylan - The Basement Tapes: Complete
Frank Zappa - The Making of Freak Out (similar to the Pet Sounds set)
Frank Zappa - Lumpy Money

If you track down the Elvis Costello Rhino CDs there is a wealth of early versions/demos/alternate versions with some different arrangements.  Many independent sellers charge outrageous prices, but I managed to find each of them for costs ranging from $3-$28, within the past year.  So if you look around and you're patient, they can be had.

Beggars Banquet released some box sets for two albums each by Bauhaus and the Fall.  They have some great alternate/early versions, as well.

ruskalupagus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 08:36:53 AM »

Very cool! Thanks for the info.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 08:36:47 PM »

The Kinks' "Are the Village Green Preservation Society" got the 3 disk treatment some years back.  Lots of great bonus tracks on LP reissues as well.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »

There are dozens of Elvis Presley releases on the FTD - Follow That Dream - label, full of studio outtakes. They are a bit pricey, though.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx