gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 12:18:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Settling the "Getcha Back" debate  (Read 12321 times)
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2015, 12:45:33 PM »

It's been 30 years since BB85 was released, and for 30 years, it has been debate whether Jeff or Brian sang the falsetto. However, I think we might finally have an answer. Here is a full recording  of the Beach Boys on 6/27/85. What is so sweet coal about his concert? Getcha Back is played for the first time live. I'm not sure if other people have heard this, but Jeff takes the falsetto live, and it definitely sounds different than the one on the record. The live recording and album recording were taken within a year, and I highly doubt that Jeff's voice would be strained on the record, but clear live. I think that this proves Brian Wilson is the one who sang the falsetto.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WrT48E18GGw
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:54:55 PM »

And we're expected to listen to the entire show ? It's at 48.17...

BTW, either the date or the venue is wrong - they played Montgomery on the 21st, Milwaukee on the 27th.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 01:02:13 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 01:14:20 PM »

Getcha Back starts at about 48:20
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »

You're right, the falsetto part as sung by Jeff certainly does sound different than the record.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 02:36:41 PM »

That was super cool to hear that version of Getcha Back. Even though Jeff admittedly sounds different, I don't think that proves anything either way, since songs will often sound different (even by the same singer) between studio and live versions.

That said, I absolutely think it's Brian on the album.

I really love how the ending part "I'll leave her and you leave him" sounds on this recording... super rad harmonies that aren't on the recorded version, plus some awesome drum build stuff around there too.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 07:20:26 PM »

It would be nice to believe it's Brian on the record, but I'm undecided.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 08:06:23 PM »

To me, this concert recording obviously has Jeff singing the falsetto, and it sounds so different from the record, which makes me believe its Brian.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 08:52:49 PM »

I've never understood why people even wonder about this, it sounds nothing like Jeff, and exactly like Brian, to my ears.  I just don't see it...
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 08:58:30 PM »

Not only has the falsetto sounded like Brian to me for a little over 30 years now, those involved with the recording have stated that it's Brian.

eran levy
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 09:11:23 PM »

100% Brian. It doesn't even remotely sound like anybody else, and least of all Foskett.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:29:49 PM by eran levy » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 09:21:25 PM »

I thought I'd settled this definitively some months back, when I posted that none of the vocal track notations from the track sheets are labeled "Jeff": only "Brian", "Carl", "Al", "Mike", "Bruce and Terry"...and there ain't no way it's Terry singing falsetto! Plus, I got it straight from Bruce that Jeff is NOT on the record (and he couldn't have emphasized "NOT" any more than he did)!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 10:31:29 PM »

That's a killer vocal by Mike, btw. The best I've heard him do this song.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 12:37:16 AM »

I have never thought that it was anybody but Brian on the studio version.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 12:43:56 AM »

I thought I'd settled this definitively some months back, when I posted that none of the vocal track notations from the track sheets are labeled "Jeff": only "Brian", "Carl", "Al", "Mike", "Bruce and Terry"...and there ain't no way it's Terry singing falsetto! Plus, I got it straight from Bruce that Jeff is NOT on the record (and he couldn't have emphasized "NOT" any more than he did)!

We need a thread entitled "For the Love of God, use the search function first !!".

Probably.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 06:30:05 AM »

I think it's Brian, but it could be Jeff. You know, Cousin Brian had a drug problem.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 06:57:31 AM »

There’s a soundboard recording (via radio broadcast) of the 7/4/85 Philadelphia show as well with “Getcha Back”, and frankly Jeff’s falsetto on the 2012 C50 version isn’t even *vastly* different from his 80’s falsetto performances. None of these sound anything like the original studio version.

I’m not sure where this question originated; I suppose maybe people were thrown because Brian’s falsetto on the ‘84/’85 recording certainly doesn’t sound the same as his 60’s falsetto, and/or because a lot of the vocals on the ’85 album are relatively heavily processed, and/or because articles with info about Foskett’s CV with the Beach Boys usually includes mention of his being on the BB ’85 album. If he’s on the ’85 album at all, it’s pretty muted compared to his work with Brian post-1998. (Do we have some general info on which 80’s sessions Jeff definitely *did* take part in?). Indeed, some of the other stuff Jeff is supposedly on (e.g. “Kokomo”) doesn’t feature him nearly as prominently as his later work with Brian. Dunno if that was just a mixing decision, or because Jeff was just one voice in the stacks back then instead of Brian having two or three Fosketts on some later stuff.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »

Sounds like 80s Brian to me.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 11:29:16 AM »

I have never thought that it was anybody but Brian on the studio version.

Ditto. Where's the beef?
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 12:08:50 PM »

I don't know how anyone could mistake that for Jeff-- he and Brian don't sound remotely alike.

It's kind of like debating whether a person in a given photo is Bill Cosby or Miley Cyrus. If you look, you can probably tell.

Afro

Razz

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 12:54:17 PM »

I'm amazed that this thread even exists.  What's to debate?  Anyone who's been listening to this band for more than 30 years knows without question that the falsetto is sung by Brian.  I think I even remember in Mark Dillon's 50 SIDES book, a story from Steve Levine that he or someone actually managed to cajole Brian into doing the falsetto.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 01:33:43 PM »

I recall reading here, or possibly somewhere else, that it is Brian and the part is repeated on a loop.
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 01:35:43 PM »

If I remember correctly, the question only arose when Jeff himself said he was on the song.  Then people started to act like there was some conspiracy to pass Jeff's vocal off as Brian's.

I could be remembering this incorrectly, though...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 06:36:28 PM »

Are there any other post-cigarette recordings where Brian's falsetto is so clear and strong? I sure can't think of any. He sure doesn't sound like that on "She's Got Rhythm".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »

Are there any other post-cigarette recordings where Brian's falsetto is so clear and strong? I sure can't think of any. He sure doesn't sound like that on "She's Got Rhythm".

There's a song on the same album (Beach Boys 1985) that is rarely mentioned where Brian gets up there pretty good, which is "I'm So Lonely". I always thought of it a companion piece with "Getcha Back", both lyrically and with Brian's high voice. I wish the songs would've been sequenced "I'm So Lonely" into "Getcha Back" on the album, although "Getcha Back" is admittedly a great opener. 

Another song comes to mind with Brian singing very high - and clearly - which is his version of Carl's "Heaven". In my opinion, it's the best lead vocal of Brian's solo career.
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 08:46:06 PM »

It's Brian OBVIOUSLY (yet not as obvious is the pitch correction used).
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx