gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:02:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Love You Album- My Thoughts  (Read 3389 times)
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2015, 12:21:01 AM »

The thread concerning "I'll Bet He's Nice" the other day has gotten me thinking.

A few months back, I played a vinyl copy of "Love You" on a Dynaquad system.  There's been some debate as to whether this album was formatted for quad.  But I can say from personal experience this album has a LOT of separation of elements between the four speakers, more than many albums I have that specifically say "quadraphonic" on the cover.

I sat in the middle of the room listening to the music.  All kinds of parts played on primitive synthesizers were happening all around me.  And it suddenly hit me.  The songwriting on this album has the same innovative creative spark that drove Pet Sounds.  Sure, the lyrics are strange and child-like in places.  A song about Johnny Carson and patting a baby on the butt even though it's really your girlfriend but for some reason it's kind of like a baby... yeah, that's all just plain weird.  Sure, many of the synth parts are played on the most dated synthesizers you can imagine.  And yes, an album that is half Beach Boys and half primitive electronica is just an odd concept.

BUT... listen to the songwriting.  Listen to the chord changes, listen to the arrangements.  Soon I started imagining all those little counter-melodies not being played by some dated 1977 synth, but by a member of the Wrecking Crew.  Hey, this part would sound great on the harpsichord.  That bass line would sound awesome on a Danelectro.  Some tympani would be awesome right here.  

Truth is, the same genius is present on this album as on the best of Brian Wilson's work from the 1960s.  It's just the fact that Brian found it easier to flip the switch on an electronic device than to bring in Plas Johnson on triple overtime at one o'clock in the morning to overdub a part.

And this brings me to my next thought.  After the 50th anniversary hoopla of Pet Sounds next year, 2017 would mark the 40th anniversary of Love You.  If Brian still desires to tour at this time, imagine seeing this album being re-arranged and performed in its entirety on REAL instruments by the members of Brian's band.  Now this is something I would pay good moolah to see.  Thoughts anyone?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:22:54 AM by Shane » Logged
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:27:16 AM »

Never happen because Foskett is Brian's right hand man and Foskett doesn't like it and Brian can't even go out on the road without him...wait, nevermind.

EoL

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 12:39:01 AM »

What's a real instrument as opposed to an instrument that's not "real"?

Anyway, Brian used synthesizers as early as 1970, probably not because he was lazy but because he liked them. I agree the songwriting on Love You is as brilliant as anything he ever did. But why make these songs sound like Pet Sounds? Haven't we all had enough of the faux-PS approach, of the endless pretending a BW record/performance always has to sound like it's '65/'66? Let's appreciate another unique and original style of his simply for what it is.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:50:41 AM »

The thread concerning "I'll Bet He's Nice" the other day has gotten me thinking.

A few months back, I played a vinyl copy of "Love You" on a Dynaquad system.  There's been some debate as to whether this album was formatted for quad.  But I can say from personal experience this album has a LOT of separation of elements between the four speakers, more than many albums I have that specifically say "quadraphonic" on the cover.

Play anything that's not mono or binaural through such a setup and you'll get a lot of separation, even the 1960 Chuck Britz "stereo" mixes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 07:56:44 AM »

Would LOVE to hear someone re-record some of the Love You tracks w/ a "Wrecking Crew" or 1966 vibe.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 07:59:34 AM »

Would LOVE to hear someone re-record some of the Love You tracks w/ a "Wrecking Crew" or 1966 vibe.

Good idea! Maybe I'll have a good at that

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:57:43 AM »

Net Sounds 4: "Airplane" as done by Jack Madani. Truly awesome.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 10:26:31 AM »

Play anything that's not mono or binaural through such a setup and you'll get a lot of separation, even the 1960 Chuck Britz "stereo" mixes.

Some albums are better than others through Dolby Pro Logic II. Some 10CC albums and Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland are rather mindblowing.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 11:20:15 AM »

Who would take Marilyn's part in the duet?
KDS
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 11:43:32 AM »

Who would take Marilyn's part in the duet?

Zooey Daschunel (sp)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 12:03:11 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 12:06:08 PM »

Hey, I love that no; that's awesomeness of itself

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
KDS
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 12:15:28 PM »

Bigger fan of her sister Emily I take it? 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 12:29:42 PM »

Why not have Wendy or Carnie sing Mary's part?
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 03:47:30 PM »

I'm a huge fan of Love You and would love to see it toured live in some fashion. Absolutely.   Smiley

One rather odd question about your post, kind of out of left field but here goes:

A song about patting a baby on the butt even though it's really your girlfriend but for some reason it's kind of like a baby...
I've seen this 'girlfriend' reference regarding I Wanna Pick You Up before and it never fails to puzzle me. When I listen to the song I hear a sweet, certainly kooky but ultimately fairly straightforward ode to the narrator's little daughter. I guess I don't quite get the girlfriend/sexual/etc vibe from it. Is that something people read into it just because of the weird/off-kilter vibe of the song in general, or is there any more to it?

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 04:29:14 PM »

Darian did a cover of "I Wanna Pick You Up" in that style!

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 04:34:10 PM »

Darian did a cover of "I Wanna Pick You Up" in that style!

Yes and it's nice but boring.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 12:58:45 AM »

I'm a huge fan of Love You and would love to see it toured live in some fashion. Absolutely.   Smiley

One rather odd question about your post, kind of out of left field but here goes:

A song about patting a baby on the butt even though it's really your girlfriend but for some reason it's kind of like a baby...
I've seen this 'girlfriend' reference regarding I Wanna Pick You Up before and it never fails to puzzle me. When I listen to the song I hear a sweet, certainly kooky but ultimately fairly straightforward ode to the narrator's little daughter. I guess I don't quite get the girlfriend/sexual/etc vibe from it. Is that something people read into it just because of the weird/off-kilter vibe of the song in general, or is there any more to it?

A l'il bit more here:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22580.msg531761.html#msg531761

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 12:59:10 AM »

Either Dennis or Brian supplied the baby/girlfriend subtext, at the time of release. So, horse's mouth.

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 01:29:35 AM »

A l'il bit more here:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22580.msg531761.html#msg531761

Thanks, very interesting. Also clarifies the roller skating/ice skating puzzler.

Please delete my account
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 08:21:23 AM »

Dennis's vocal seems directed at a child not a woman. There's no nudge-nudge-wink-wink in it, although the Middle 8 might be more ironic.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 08:35:22 AM »

OK, got it now! I'm not sure I'd regard this blurb as definitive but it does answer my question. Thank you Alan & AGD for the input.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx