gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680871 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:34:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's falsetto in the 70's.  (Read 9713 times)
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 04:33:14 PM »

I guess what I really meant was, what was the last recording we know of with his signature falsetto, do know what it is? Or if there is a recording of it?
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2015, 04:44:52 PM »

My best guess would be "Forever" or "Good Time"
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »

I guess what I really meant was, what was the last recording we know of with his signature falsetto, do know what it is? Or if there is a recording of it?

The California Feelin' demo from Nov. 1974 on Made In California is widely regarded as among the final... though the 1975 demo of in The Back Of My Mind shows that, although his lower range had been deeply effected, his bright falsetto was still hangin' on for dear life.  LOL
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2015, 06:04:33 PM »

In what was probably his last falsetto of the 1970's (released anyway), and arguably not too far removed from his younger voice, the "Won't last forever" part at the end of "Winds Of Change" is pretty impressive. It gave me hope anyway...
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2015, 07:55:34 PM »

It's been discussed on this board at some length, with the evidence reasonably conclusive that BW did not sing the falsetto on Getcha Back, Jeff Foskett did.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2015, 11:21:20 PM »

It's been discussed on this board at some length, with the evidence reasonably conclusive that BW did not sing the falsetto on Getcha Back, Jeff Foskett did.

Errr....I know it's been discussed, but I don't think it was ever concluded that Brian didn't do that part on "Getcha Back." Considering how it was said Brian did that part as a favor to Terry Melcher and whatnot, and I think maybe some quote here or there, I'd be surprised if it wasn't him.

And anyways, it sounds like Brian, and not like Jeff at all. Just my opinion though.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2015, 11:35:53 PM »

Errr....I know it's been discussed, but I don't think it was ever concluded that Brian didn't do that part on "Getcha Back." Considering how it was said Brian did that part as a favor to Terry Melcher and whatnot, and I think maybe some quote here or there, I'd be surprised if it wasn't him.

And anyways, it sounds like Brian, and not like Jeff at all. Just my opinion though.

I agree with you. It sounds a lot like Brian. Nothing like Foskett. Listen to the 50th Anniversary Tour CD, and you'll hear Jeff singing the falsetto- nothing like the BB85 version
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2015, 11:56:29 PM »

In what was probably his last falsetto of the 1970's (released anyway), and arguably not too far removed from his younger voice, the "Won't last forever" part at the end of "Winds Of Change" is pretty impressive. It gave me hope anyway...

Don't forget too  that live show (Seattle ?) where  he hit quite a few 'money notes' and sounded like 1965 era Brian at times.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2015, 12:55:12 AM »

When I think about Brian's high register in the 70's, the one thing that sticks out is the notes he hits during the end of Love Is A Woman from the Maryland 1977 videoi. After the song ends, even Brian himself seems surprised that he pulled it off.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2015, 02:01:06 AM »

I've always thought he gets a pretty good approximation of 1960s falsetto on the tag to You've Touched Me from GIOMH
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2015, 06:22:34 AM »

I agree with you. It sounds a lot like Brian. Nothing like Foskett. Listen to the 50th Anniversary Tour CD, and you'll hear Jeff singing the falsetto- nothing like the BB85 version

Agreed. Getcha Back sounds 100% like Brian to me. 0% Foskett. Maybe he is buried in there somewhere, but I don't hear it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 06:53:01 AM by pixletwin » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2015, 06:39:00 AM »

Right. I've read suggestions that Brian's vocal is hyper-processed, tripled or quadrupled, and probably a hidden Jeff thrown in there to reinforce. But sounds like Brian all the way. BTW: I'm assuming the answer's yes, but did Terry have a hand in producing the track?

Just remembered he sings a thorough falsetto vocal on the Heavenly Bodies demo. And there's a bunch of (somewhat hoarse) falsettos on BW 88.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2015, 07:27:29 AM »

Don't forget too  that live show (Seattle ?) where  he hit quite a few 'money notes' and sounded like 1965 era Brian at times.
don't forget the hearts of full of spring from the CBS convention. BW's falsetto goes all 1965 since he tries so hard on that song.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2015, 10:26:45 AM »

There are still plenty of signature Brian falsetto moments..

In Sherry she needs me..  "Baby if you don't stop crying I'll walk away.."  Sounds very close to 60s Brian

The "won't last forever" part on Winds of change

The end of Kona Coast

Soaring background on The night was so young

Definitely Getcha back (100% Brian)

His version of Carl's Heaven (lots of falsetto on this one)

Again not as powerful, youthful and pure as a 23 year old Brian, but still retains the old sound.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2015, 11:01:58 AM »

Gotta tell ya that when the song lineup of TWGMTR was announced, I had the hope that Summer's gone would end up with a soaring BW falsetto, thus closing the BBs recording career into eternity.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2015, 02:06:08 PM »

Getcha Back is Brian.  There was a story that the tape was slowed to lower the pitch then the vocal recorded and the tape sped back up again.  I think he could have nailed it anyway at that time without the need to slow the tape.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2015, 03:59:06 AM »

The California Feelin' demo from Nov. 1974 on Made In California is widely regarded as among the final...

I've always read that was the final one myself.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2015, 10:55:13 AM »

Briian sings the opening on Getcha Back. It's multitracked like crazy. But it is Brian. Steve Levine has said so.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2015, 07:45:47 PM »

This is an old thread, but I saw this clip on Youtube, and around 2 minutes, when the DJ plays Surfer Girl, BW sings along in his falsetto. It sounds just like the 60's. It's only for a moment- but it's magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmQ0HutAFaE
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2015, 07:56:03 PM »

This is an old thread, but I saw this clip on Youtube, and around 2 minutes, when the DJ plays Surfer Girl, BW sings along in his falsetto. It sounds just like the 60's. It's only for a moment- but it's magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmQ0HutAFaE

That is amazing, thanks for posting.  I really wish he would sing it like that in concert, I've seen enough evidence that he can do it still.  Even if he just did it for Surfer Girl and Good Vibrations (there used to be a video from the 2012 tour where he did falsetto for a couple seconds, but let Jeff finish.)
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »

Just heard 'Oh Lord' from The Cocaine Sessions...and Brian does an amazing job singing! Sounds way more fluent than other stuff from the late 70s (except for MIU) and 80s.

Am I mistaken or does he sing in falsetto here in some parts?

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx