gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:02:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Examiner Article Link: "Brian Wilson's Musical Voices"  (Read 10202 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2015, 08:01:47 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/review/brian-wilson-s-musical-voices

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:15:38 AM »

Who in the world wrote that (guess I could check for myself)?  In addition to continually fluffing Mike Love out of nowhere every few lines, the article is horribly written.

EoL

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 12:23:55 AM »

LOL, it was another David Beard article - that explains the repeated Mike Love references for no apparent reason.  Anyone know what the deal is with that guy?  Is there a reason he is going out of his way lately to talk Mike up?

EoL
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:43:30 AM by Empire Of Love » Logged

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 05:37:13 AM »

What lucky fifth grader got their story published?
Good for them!

Is he brain-damaged? Yes.

That was the real reason for the "article" -- right?
Journalism.

Talentless writing. Questionable intent.
As nutritious as an Easter-time peep.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 06:41:36 AM »

LOL, it was another David Beard article - that explains the repeated Mike Love references for no apparent reason.  Anyone know what the deal is with that guy?  Is there a reason he is going out of his way lately to talk Mike up?

EoL

He must be another one who's on the payroll.  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 06:50:54 AM »

What lucky fifth grader got their story published?
Good for them!

Is he brain-damaged? Yes.

That was the real reason for the "article" -- right?
Journalism.

Talentless writing. Questionable intent.
As nutritious as an Easter-time peep.

I read the "article" last night. And I almost commented. But I'm glad you did first Howie. I have to say, I don't understand why on earth Mr. Beard would publish something like this. And then he wonders why he doesn't have the same access to Brian that he has to Mike.

Maybe we should start calling him brain damaged too.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:55:35 AM »

What an odd agenda for an article. The writer seems more obsessed with Brian’s perceived deficits and potential unfavorable comparisons between Mike and Brian than Mike Love does at this stage.

This bit is particularly grating: “Fans buy tickets to see his cousin Mike, because they know they’ll get to see a tight band perform an entertaining set of the band’s well-known material. With Brian, we go to see the legend. He sits behind the piano, and on occasion, when he’s finds the inspiration, he will join in and sing along with his band”

Now, make no mistake, I’m not blind to how much Brian has or hasn’t participated in live shows over the years. But whatever can be said about how much he plays the piano uninterrupted or how *well* he always sings, this implication that he only “on occasion” actually sings along with his band is laughable. For better and worse, Brian has still sang on just about every song (barring instrumentals). Certainly, on the 2015 tour, he was even *more* involved in backing vocals than he has been in the past, singing prominent backing vocals when he wasn’t singing leads.

That excerpt above from the article is rather insulting I’d say, and the only thing more apparent than the insult is the clear agenda. The implication is simple: People go to see Mike for the music, but they go to see Brian to *see Brian*, and only “on occasion” does Brian actively take part vocally. It’s dead wrong. A nuanced point about how some fans cut Brian too much slack, or how some fans may be going as much to see Brian as to hear him is one thing (though what fan *doesn’t* also want to *see* the band in concert?), but implying Brian only “on occasion” joins in vocally is as wrong as saying Mike “only plays the hits” in concert.

Equally if not more troubling is the continued, POINTLESS lamenting of Brian’s long-since-passed mental problems (this was a theme in the writer’s recent piece on Mike Love’s tour). Doesn’t matter how much you tell us he’s still a genius if you come across as obsessed with needlessly pointing out what we or he *may* have lost due to years of various forms of abuse. Those things have already been lamented numerous times, by both Brian himself and all of the band members, and by more thorough, talented writers.

The writer also, surprise, seems to offer backhanded compliments (at best) about "Love & Mercy", noting it leaves a wealth of information out. Unfortunately, none of the countless interviews where the director explains why the film was designed that way are included in this piece.

The more I read this, the more I realize looking back on this writer’s previous interviews with Mike, that every time this guy interviews Mike, it is he more than Mike that is fanning a lot of these flames in terms of the acrimonious, snippy stuff he gets out of Mike in interviews. My advice to Mike Love (and the other BB’s for that matter) would be to decline any more interviews or features with this interviewer. I remember back when that Mike “interview” was published several months ago with this same interviewer (the one where Mike discusses NOT having heard “The Right Time”), I came away worried the interviewer had actually made Mike and Brian’s relationship worse if anything. I still wonder and worry about that. I worry that instead of seeing L&M for himself, someone like Mike is going to listen to this writer's impression of the movie. Bad idea all around in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 07:02:11 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 07:05:17 AM »

Great post Heyjude!

But a question needs to be asked, what if Beard is just doing Mike's dirty work with Mike's full support ?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 07:10:34 AM »

I wonder if the purpose of the piece is to let us know that the author had a seat at the band's dinner table? To point out that he has "access"…? Much of the piece serves little real purpose, and other sections seem (un)subtly designed to undermine the fact that BW is, by all accounts, performing (and I don't mean just on stage or in the studio) stronger than he has for decades.

Curious.

“We live in divisive times.”
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 07:37:21 AM »

Poor hobby writing for the wrong reasons.
Imagine a professional outlet ever publishing that?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 07:40:24 AM »

David, is it possible for you to write one single article that doesn't obviously cater to the Mike Love apologist agenda? "Is he brain-damaged? Yes." - tactfully put. Sighhhh.

Also, when you get the chance, could you please answer this question regarding your last 'article':

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22559.msg531004.html#msg531004

Mike was praising his cousin and waxing nostalgic on the music they created together. He misses the young man he created those songs with, and wishes he was the same. Unfortunately, Brian isn’t the same.

"Unfortunately, Brian isn't the same"? What does that even mean? What specifically is so unfortunate about Brian's current state that he would want to be the exact person he was in the early/mid 60s? Back when Mike was creating music with Brian, Brian was suffering from panic attacks, anxiety attacks, extreme stage fright, aural hallucinations, etc. Now he is getting help for those ailments. According to people who actually spend time with Brian he has his same wit about him, same sense of humor he did back in the 60s (we even saw this sense of humor in his recent Q&As). He's obviously got mostly the same work ethic (attention to detail and strive for perfection) and drive that he had back then (writing, recording, releasing, touring for No Pier Pressure, and now adding more tour dates and wanting to record another album). It seems to me that Brian is back to his usual self these days: he loves to eat, loves to joke around, he loves to write music, he loves to record, he still wants another #1 hit. The difference being he now has somewhat of a control over the mental issues that plagued him for much of his life. I wouldn't consider any of that unfortunate.

You seem hellbent on mentioning his mental illness in your articles lately. It's like reading a Mike Love interview anymore where the same sh*t is mentioned and all of it a compliment wrapped in a dig at his cousin. Is his mental illness an important part of his life? Yes. Should it be mentioned in every article? God no.

In one of your articles you yourself even mentioned at one point how "the music is the story" and basically told us fans to focus on the music. Well, here you are getting a chance to talk about the music being played at a Brian show and instead we get wonderful snippets like "on occasion, when he’s finds the inspiration, he will join in and sing along with his band" and more talk about how he is "brain-damaged".

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 07:42:13 AM »

...and other sections seem (un)subtly designed to undermine the fact that BW is, by all accounts, performing (and I don't mean just on stage or in the studio) stronger than he has for decades.

Absolutely. The Brian I saw in Philly last June was a man in complete control, who didn't just sing when he was inspired but sang when he needed to - and he sang beautifully.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 08:13:04 AM »

...and other sections seem (un)subtly designed to undermine the fact that BW is, by all accounts, performing (and I don't mean just on stage or in the studio) stronger than he has for decades.

Absolutely. The Brian I saw in Philly last June was a man in complete control, who didn't just sing when he was inspired but sang when he needed to - and he sang beautifully.

Yes, that was a great show.  Brian really seemed to be into every song. 
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 09:46:13 AM »

David's most probably on the payroll. Look at the cover page of his personal Facebook account.

Regarding the article, I would have expected some of those hamfisted observations from a civilian...a regular journo who was selected to scribe a cliff notes summary of a concert. But not an insider. Not a guy who made his bones & credibility from ESQ. A feller such as Beard should already know the forest from the trees and comment on his surroundings with tact and credibility.

Overall, it wasn't the hackjob I expected when I read some of the comments above, but it seemed like it was written by either a civilian or someone with an agenda. Sadly, it's probably the later (hence the smooch, smooch for all things Love on his Facebook page).

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 10:09:13 AM »

I didn't like this either but because of it and a response to it elsewhere, I learned a new word. Asteism: "a polite and ingenious manner of deriding another".

So thank you to the person who improved my vocabulary.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 10:30:57 AM »

I feel bad for David. For the author this piece is pathetic, humiliating, embarrassing...etc.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 10:39:11 AM »

The "payroll" talk on this board is getting tedious.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 10:41:32 AM »

You think he was not at the very least paid for the tour booklet he designed?

Hes on the payroll.

Howard Beale
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 11:01:08 AM »

The latest missile published in the Kokomo Gazette, formerly known as ESQ, is just another passive aggressive hit piece on Brian Wilson - another attempt at extolling the glory and wonders of Mike Love and the touring Beach Boys.

"he sits behind his piano and on occasion when he finds the inspiration he will join in and sing along with his band".
"Is he brain damaged ? Yes"

It is plain to see that these articles are being proof read and approved by the Tahoe Bunker - either that, or the editor and writer of this garbage is nothing more than the greatest fluffer Mike Love ever had.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 11:01:40 AM »

Perfectly possible it's all for free and just the usual sucking up for "access," it's really vital to get those warmed over stories about how the Wilsons were once on drugs and stuff.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 11:02:27 AM »

No. This is tedious:

"We don't wait for new Brian Wilson music because of who Brian is today, we wait because of the amazing music Wilson created between 1962-1970 as a member of The Beach Boys. That's the truth..."
"Is he brain-damaged? Yes."
"Mike was praising his cousin and waxing nostalgic on the music they created together. He misses the young man he created those songs with, and wishes he was the same. Unfortunately, Brian isn’t the same."
"With Brian, we go to see the legend. He sits behind the piano, and on occasion, when he’s finds the inspiration, he will join in and sing along with his band"

All from David Beard articles written in the last year. And frankly I could care less that these quotes are surrounded with high praise for Brian....these are some pretty tactless statements no matter how you look at it.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 11:19:02 AM »

All this crap in the Kokomo gazette is pushing the TM superman agenda of Mike Love. For a man with little heavy drug use, he sure acts like a brain damaged guy from too much BW hatred.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 01:36:05 PM »

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:02:51 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 01:49:36 PM »

So for those keeping score, yes he was paid by Mike Love and yes he went a bit too far and edited stuff out of the piece. There's some other stuff too, and also bgas now has to enter the witness protection program.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 01:59:27 PM »

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:03:09 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx