gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:46:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forthcoming-ish Archival Releases ?  (Read 19574 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2015, 12:49:19 PM »

I'm thinking the most logical explanation is that this tape circulated in-house at Capitol in 1993 to showcase some unreleased BB tracks from 1977, primarily Christmas tunes, with the thought being "Hey, what are the possibilities for this stuff?" And five years later many of these tracks made it onto Capitol's Ultimate Christmas CD.

As Andrew points out, the track listing matches that reported to have been submitted to Warner/Reprise by the BBs in 1978.  And as HeyJude points out, "Bells of Christmas" is missing, as would be expected.

So the really cool possibility here is getting some tracks in far better sonic condition than currently circulate.

Thanks, bgas, for posting the scans of the cassette J card inserts. it's really cool to see rare stuff like this. If you're up for it, it would be great to also see photos/scans of the cassettes themselves, although Perry Cox's eBay listing does include a photo of the cassette for the 77 Christmas Album.

bgas and bryand, looking forward to reports of audio quality on the tracks that have never been officially released.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2015, 07:19:59 AM »

Thanks, bgas, for posting the scans of the cassette J card inserts. it's really cool to see rare stuff like this. If you're up for it, it would be great to also see photos/scans of the cassettes themselves, although Perry Cox's eBay listing does include a photo of the cassette for the 77 Christmas Album.

Soitanly
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:12:15 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2015, 07:45:45 AM »

The “In My Car” single is hilarious. Painfully obvious it had very little to do with the Beach Boys, and perhaps Landy wanted to emphasize Brian even though it's ostensibly a BB release. Kevin Leslie gets a credit, the other musicians gets a credit, but nowhere does it mention that Al and Carl sing the lead on the song with Brian!

While on that topic, does anybody know what the  “Special Single Remix” of the song sounds like? There’s an alternate mix of the song on one of those 90’s Brian boots (one of the versions of Sweet Insanity I think?), and I always wondered where that came from. I’m guessing it came from that promo single remix. That remix isn’t super different; the most obvious difference is that the big deep synth note is mixed out during the first drum break that leads into the second verse.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx