gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:24:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forthcoming-ish Archival Releases ?  (Read 19511 times)
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2015, 04:21:45 PM »

While Beatle fans hotly anticipate a 50th anniversary Rubber Soul ball point pen and tea-cup, are we all looking forward to the end of year archival release from the team ? They'd be working on this kind of thing as I speak wouldn't they ?
Dylan fans are already being teased with a possible 18/19 cd set (not enough in my opinion). Will team Beach Boy (Mark and Alan) deliver the goods this year and next ? Will we hear that Great Shape acetate and other Durry Parks goodies ? Brian's Child edit ? More from Jasper Dailley (my kids say YES they love Teeter Totter Love nearly as much as Vega-Tables though i've told them to wait till 2017). Anyone wanna indulge in rampant speculation - AGD ?
I do hope the guys continue with some (FLAC/Lossless) goodies at the end of the year. While it's never enough, i feel that Dylan's team and The Beach Boys crew are leading the way for hard-core fans. Both "teams" have delivered some outstanding stuff the last 2 years unlike Moptop Corp. 1966 produced arguably the finest music of any year pop wise. Are we in for a treat with our "prelude to 1966" sets ? There's still plenty of fabulous unreleased 65 Beach Boys stuff is there not ?
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 04:41:49 PM »

I'm not expecting anything but I've always wondered what happened with the Carnegie Hall shows. Here's a small bit posted by Howie Edelson back in 2009:

"The Beatles aren't the only '60s icons preserving their legendary catalogue and vault; the Beach Boys' team is hard at work cataloging the thousands of tapes which make up their archive. The team -- chief archivist Alan Boyd and producer/engineer Mark Linett -- has recently collected all of the known elements of the band's unfinished 1967 album Smile, and have now uncovered the multi-tracks for the Beach Boys' two historic concerts at New York's Carnegie Hall on November 23rd, 1972.

For years, only half of one of the shows has been available in pristine stereo on the underground market. Boyd says that the band's company Brother Records is in possession of all of the multi-track masters of the shows, and is now collecting appropriate film and video footage which could be included on a potential project."
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 05:22:16 PM »

I'm kind of hoping (counting) on an archival release similar to "Keep An Eye On Summer" in December maybe that covers 1965.  Where that release covered 1964 nicely with sessions, background and isolated vocals and odds & ends of "Shut Down Vol 2" & "All Summer Long" I'm hoping this one would cover "Today" and "Summer Days".  Would love to hear some more lengthy sessions for "California Girls", "Kiss Me Baby" and "Sloop John B", particularly.

Also, I was happy that KAEOS was released as a Hi-Res offering early this year, after the initial iTunes release.  I wish they had done it at the same time so I didn't end up buying it twice (holding head in shame).  Having the lossless tracks is great, though.  For these kinds of archival releases I'm fine with no physical release, personally.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 06:50:44 PM »

Off the top of my head there are about eight archival releases that with minimal tweaking (and a human wage paid to those doing the heavy lifting/thinking) could be on the market in a matter of months.
And apart from all of us here, there is an amazing demand for product EXACTLY like what The Stones are now doing with Eagle Rock.

I had a chat the other day with someone from a rival label and they were not only astounded that there isn't already tons of highly publicized archival product out there but spouted out some impressive numbers as to what the band could expect with every edition of -- for want of a better term -- "BOYD's PICKS."

Things are changing.
The liberation of the archive is in our sights.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:12:03 PM »

I'd like to throw down a request: Release any live archival material from 40+ years ago warts-and-all, in other words no editing and fixing and tinkering. Anything that got played on stage gets put on the release, audio verite style. That to me is the only way to handle such material. The post-production fixes on too many live releases tend to destroy the appeal of certain products in the name of polishing up things for the wrong reasons or the wrong people. The people buying the greatest hits CD's and downloads are not the target demographic for this kind of material. Off soapbox.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 07:42:11 PM »

I'd like to throw down a request: Release any live archival material from 40+ years ago warts-and-all, in other words no editing and fixing and tinkering. Anything that got played on stage gets put on the release, audio verite style. That to me is the only way to handle such material. The post-production fixes on too many live releases tend to destroy the appeal of certain products in the name of polishing up things for the wrong reasons or the wrong people. The people buying the greatest hits CD's and downloads are not the target demographic for this kind of material. Off soapbox.

Yes, complete agree.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 07:50:26 PM »

I agree as well. The "buried in the mix" theremin in Wild Honey (from Made In California) was rather lame.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 08:04:45 PM »

I understand what you guys are saying, but I think it's safe to say that a full-on "faders up" of the multi's from a mid-'70s concert would be a mess.
I thought the MIC "I Can Hear Music" was beautiful.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 08:20:10 PM »

I'm speaking more of edits, fades, comping different parts together from different shows to create the best presentation, adding or "fixing" any bum notes after the fact, all that jazz. Faders up I agree would be too much audio verite, but I'm thinking of how sometimes too much is done with comping and fixing that it sterilizes out all of the raw energy and feels too fake. If the second set of a show ran for 83 minutes, then the 2nd set disc should be 83 continuous minutes just as the audience heard and the band played. No fades, no editing out stage noise or chatter between songs either, that's part of the fun and the realism that sets the bar very high on the better archive show releases from any artist. Official and unofficial. Steely Dan '74 comes to mind unofficially...a few of those shows are jaw-dropping amazing.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 09:19:18 PM »

I hope they finally release what must be hours and hours and hours of candid recordings of the Boys resisting and complaining and defying and bullying Brian during the Pet Sounds and SMiLE sessions.  Roll Eyes

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 09:28:02 PM »

I hope they finally release what must be hours and hours and hours of candid recordings of the Boys resisting and complaining and defying and bullying Brian during the Pet Sounds and SMiLE sessions.  Roll Eyes

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 09:38:07 PM »

Its the B-side to the hours and hours and hours of candid recordings of the Boys embracing and praising and loving and encouraging Brian during the Pet Sounds and SMiLE sessions.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 09:42:18 PM »

Kind of along the lines of what you're saying, what I would love to hear more than any other unreleased stuff is more alternate mixes/roughs/early versions ... i.e., actual vintage mixes.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:43:12 PM by DonnyL » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 09:54:20 PM »

Kind of along the lines of what you're saying, what I would love to hear more than any other unreleased stuff is more alternate mixes/roughs/early versions ... i.e., actual vintage mixes.

That would be cool, reminds me of something like The Beatles' "Acetates" boot from the early 90's, which I thought was one of the better boots out there even with the bad quality of the sourced acetates. But my interest in such a collection from the Beach Boys would stop dead in its tracks after a certain point in the 70's.  Smiley

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 10:01:41 PM »

Fingers are crossed for this one too:   LOL

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 11:06:22 PM »

LOL

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 11:49:31 PM »

I want to see the first Flame album remastered and reissued and the second one finally see the light of day. Didn't Stephen Desper try in vain to get them out a few years back?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 02:58:01 AM »

Its the B-side to the hours and hours and hours of candid recordings of the Boys embracing and praising and loving and encouraging Brian during the Pet Sounds and SMiLE sessions.

That B Side is already out.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 03:37:47 AM »

Having heard absolutely everything SMiLE-related that still exists in the vaults of both BRI and Capitol, I can safely tell you that the latter does not exist. And I seriously doubt the former does, either.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 04:01:36 AM »

Having heard absolutely everything SMiLE-related that still exists in the vaults of both BRI and Capitol, I can safely tell you that the latter does not exist. And I seriously doubt the former does, either.

Exactly. Thanks Craig.

KDS
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 05:20:06 AM »

I'd love to see this.  A full live anthology from the early 60s up til the C50 Tour (a good recording from C50 this time please).  A huge live box set with some complete concerts and some odds and ends (ie. rare covers done live). 

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 05:35:21 AM »

I would love this also.

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 05:54:55 AM »

I understand what you guys are saying, but I think it's safe to say that a full-on "faders up" of the multi's from a mid-'70s concert would be a mess.

I'm speaking more of edits, fades, comping different parts together from different shows to create the best presentation, adding or "fixing" any bum notes after the fact, all that jazz. Faders up I agree would be too much audio verite, but I'm thinking of how sometimes too much is done with comping and fixing that it sterilizes out all of the raw energy and feels too fake. If the second set of a show ran for 83 minutes, then the 2nd set disc should be 83 continuous minutes just as the audience heard and the band played. No fades, no editing out stage noise or chatter between songs either, that's part of the fun and the realism that sets the bar very high on the better archive show releases from any artist. Official and unofficial. Steely Dan '74 comes to mind unofficially...a few of those shows are jaw-dropping amazing.

All of the live releases feel like they fall short of a complete historic document because of what guitarfool2002 lays out above. I love Live at Knebworth, but why not put out the full show, warts and all?
KDS
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 05:58:20 AM »

All of the live releases feel like they fall short of a complete historic document because of what guitarfool2002 lays out above. I love Live at Knebworth, but why not put out the full show, warts and all?

They still do this even in 2015.  Brian's Soundstage DVD isn't even the complete show.   
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 06:42:36 AM »

Fingers are crossed for this one too:   LOL

This made my day.  LOL
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx