gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:19:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forthcoming-ish Archival Releases ?  (Read 19512 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2015, 07:09:08 AM »

Ok here's an issue I have with a lot of the BBs live releases...
AUTOTUNE!!!!

C50 CD is layered with autotune on Brian, Mike, and Dave's vocals, but none of them need it. They all sounded great live!

AND OH MY GOD. The Knebworth CD makes Mike sound like a robot! Listen to Little Deuce Coupe or Do It Again the autotune makes it sound atrocious compared to the original recording!

So if they release more live recordings--- I don't mind sweetening one note or two, BW even did that with the Concert album (aside from Fun Fun Fun and I Get Around- which were another level of sweetening  LOL) but please KEEP THE PITCH CORRECTION TASTEFUL- No T Pain please!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2015, 07:32:02 AM »

What's funny is that on the bootlegs of Knebworth Michael sounds...FINE. Yeah, not the same as the late 60s and early 70s heyday but it's not like he was singing like crap (and certainly not as bad as he would sound less than a year later once Carl went on hiatus).

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2015, 07:38:24 AM »

Are we sure they used autotune on the Knebworth 1980 CD and DVD? I remember discussion of that back when it was released in 2002. Mike’s voice definitely has some processing on some songs. But I don’t recall hearing anything too heinous. I do know they were sometimes putting some effects on Mike’s voice in concert at that time in 1980. You can hear a bit of a sort of phase-ish, flange-ish (some would say very slightly robotic) sound on his lead vocal for some songs on at the July 4th, 1980 show.

There’s definitely nothing on the Knbworth releases even a tenth as obvious as some of Mike’s vocals on the C50 live album.

Either way, I don’t believe Boyd and company would put gobs of autotune on some archival boxed set of live material. I don’t sense any autotune on the live tracks on the MIC set; and that is probably a good taste of how a career-spanning boxed set or series of live releases would be.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2015, 07:42:55 AM »

Yeah, the 7/4/80 show has some weird anomalies in the sound in general. Might just be the quality of the recording I have (from radio).

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2015, 09:20:30 AM »

How likely is it that the complete, unedited sessions for all of the Pet Sounds material (backing track sessions, vocal sessions, piano demos) would be released for the 50th anniversary next year?  I would think that the critical acclaim given to Love and Mercy would give such a release a better chance commercially than it would have had before.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2015, 09:24:19 AM »

Either way, I don’t believe Boyd and company would put gobs of autotune on some archival boxed set of live material. I don’t sense any autotune on the live tracks on the MIC set; and that is probably a good taste of how a career-spanning boxed set or series of live releases would be.

[/quote]

Wild Honey from Made In California was drenched in reverb making it sound not good to my ears.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2015, 09:59:21 AM »

How likely is it that the complete, unedited sessions for all of the Pet Sounds material (backing track sessions, vocal sessions, piano demos) would be released for the 50th anniversary next year?  I would think that the critical acclaim given to Love and Mercy would give such a release a better chance commercially than it would have had before.

Not sure anyone could squeeze another drop out of Pet Sounds, from a commercial point of view. The Sessions box has just been reissued, we've had the 40th anniversary releases, there're the Analogue Productions LPs and high-res SACD due out… Sea of Tines and Yellow Dog have the stray odds and sods covered. Most households in the developed world probably have a copy of the album in one format or another.

At what point would saturation be reached?

Okay, multi-tracks would make a few folk happy but is there sufficient demand to repay the investment the preparation of such a release would require? What's the most you'd pay for such a set? Realistically?

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2015, 10:18:54 AM »

With all of the stuff in the vaults that still hasn’t been heard (just look at the tracklisting for those “Proposed Brother Bonus Tracks” CDs someone found; that compilation probably dates from *before* Alan Boyd and company did the extensive cataloging of the archives), I’d much rather see that sort of stuff than *more* PS sessions.

They will indeed continue to milk PS; I have little doubt we’ll see another reissue next year. But let them go ahead and keep repackaging it. In the meantime, what the BB’s need is an extensive, thoughtful series of releases from the archives, featuring stuff we haven’t heard. Ideally, they would pick a few sort of “flagship” archive releases they could push to retail (meaning mainly Amazon and the like), with a more extensive online release program. A single or double-disc set of a live career retrospective backed by an extensive online archive would perform well.

Now is also the time to start pushing “Carry Me Home” and more rare Dennis stuff. Even if they don’t really exist in one group of concentrated tapes, just put out a bunch of unreleased Brian-centric stuff and call it “The Bedroom Tapes” for marketing purposes. There’s still *hours* of quality studio material that MIC didn’t touch on. The ideas and possibilities are endless.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2015, 10:44:06 AM »

AND OH MY GOD. The Knebworth CD makes Mike sound like a robot! Listen to Little Deuce Coupe or Do It Again the autotune makes it sound atrocious compared to the original recording!

Pretty sure what you're hearing are studio overdubs (not an uncommon practice with live albums), not necessarily pitch correction.  At least for the Knebworth disc.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2015, 10:47:03 AM »

Seems like overkill.  The original box set for this album covered enough ground. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2015, 12:14:24 PM »

With all of the stuff in the vaults that still hasn’t been heard (just look at the tracklisting for those “Proposed Brother Bonus Tracks” CDs someone found; that compilation probably dates from *before* Alan Boyd and company did the extensive cataloging of the archives), I’d much rather see that sort of stuff than *more* PS sessions.

They will indeed continue to milk PS; I have little doubt we’ll see another reissue next year. But let them go ahead and keep repackaging it. In the meantime, what the BB’s need is an extensive, thoughtful series of releases from the archives, featuring stuff we haven’t heard. Ideally, they would pick a few sort of “flagship” archive releases they could push to retail (meaning mainly Amazon and the like), with a more extensive online release program. A single or double-disc set of a live career retrospective backed by an extensive online archive would perform well.

Now is also the time to start pushing “Carry Me Home” and more rare Dennis stuff. Even if they don’t really exist in one group of concentrated tapes, just put out a bunch of unreleased Brian-centric stuff and call it “The Bedroom Tapes” for marketing purposes. There’s still *hours* of quality studio material that MIC didn’t touch on. The ideas and possibilities are endless.

Is there really hours of unreleased stuff?  I would like to see the following released officially:

Carry Me Home
Hard Times
I'm Going Your Way
Big Sur

There could be more.  Remember the group should have the right to refuse to release stuff like Running Bear and Battle Hymn of the Republic. I know I would!

I think the Paramount Rehearsals and live show should be a must, but Mike wasn't on the rehearsal and you could understand objections on that basis alone.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2015, 12:36:10 PM »

Definitely hours. Just those “Proposed Brother Bonus Tracks” alone would probably amount to at least an hour or two of solid stuff. Yes, there are going to be those who scoff at whatever 70’s or 80’s era stuff they feel is sub-par. It isn’t all A-list material. But there are definitely hours of material that are as good or better than stuff that made it onto the albums. That’s not even getting into vocals-only and instrumental mixes, remixes, etc. Just off the top of my head:

I’m Going Your Way
This Whole World (Alternate Version)
Add Some Music (Alternate)
‘Til I Die (Alternate Lyrics)
‘Til I Die (Demo)
Lazy Lizzie
Marilyn Rovell
Stevie
We Gotta Groove (w/ vocals)
Sea Cruise (Mike lead)
Numerous 15 Big Ones-era oldie outtakes if that floats your boat
The Rest of the ’77 X-Mas album tracks
Santa Ana Winds (Alternate)
Looking Down the Coast
California Dreamin’ (Early Version)
Lady/Fallin’ In Love (Un-futzed with stereo mix)
Carry Me Home
Big Sur (Original Version)
My Solution (Either or both versions)
4th of July (Alternate Version)
Trader (Early Version)
Most of the “Adult Child” stuff
The 1976 “Love You/Adult Child” Brian demo tape
The Spirit of Rock and Roll (’86 studio version with Mike and Bruce prepped for TV special)
California Calling (Alternate Version)
Numerous other alternate ’85 album cuts
Dancing the Night Away
Caroline, No (1996 backing vocals)

That’s just a random stream-of-consciousness list. No, it isn’t all A-grade material. I’m not even super into some fan favorites. But there’s enough bonus material easily for a second disc to accompany pretty much every album from 1970-1985, and/or a multi-disc set of rarities. They’d probably make the stuff more marketable (and less like a hodge podge of rejects) if they did deluxe reissues of the albums and tacked on a second (and maybe third in some cases) disc of bonus stuff.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2015, 12:50:18 PM »

Definitely hours. Just those “Proposed Brother Bonus Tracks” alone would probably amount to at least an hour or two of solid stuff. Yes, there are going to be those who scoff at whatever 70’s or 80’s era stuff they feel is sub-par. It isn’t all A-list material. But there are definitely hours of material that are as good or better than stuff that made it onto the albums. That’s not even getting into vocals-only and instrumental mixes, remixes, etc. Just off the top of my head:

The Rest of the ’77 X-Mas album tracks

A lot of the things you mentioned seemed to me were listed on those "Proposed Brother Bonus tracks" CDs, but I tend to forget what is /isn't available from the 77 Xmas.
Can you line them out? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2015, 01:09:58 PM »

I think there are only a handful of ’77 tracks that were left off of “Ultimate Christmas.” Off the top of my head, there is “Go and Get that Girl”, “Alone on Christmas Day”, and whatever the X-Mas version of “HELP is on the Way” was called.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2015, 01:40:32 PM »

I think there are only a handful of ’77 tracks that were left off of “Ultimate Christmas.” Off the top of my head, there is “Go and Get that Girl”, “Alone on Christmas Day”, and whatever the X-Mas version of “HELP is on the Way” was called.

that sounds mildly positive for me!

Checking Bellagio, I see these listed: 

Go And Get That Girl (Tuleja - Altbach) - 11/17 & 11/21/77 - Carl lead 

Christmas Day (B. Wilson - Love) - 11/17 & 11/22/77 - Mike lead    ( Presuming this is the same as Alone on Christmas Day)

Santa's On His Way - (B. Wilson - Jardine - Love) - late 1970 & 10-11/77 - Mike lead

I guess the late 1970 for Santa would be the HELP track recording?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:50:08 PM by bgas » Logged

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2015, 01:43:56 PM »

I would add
BB85
At the Hop

KTSA
I'll Always Love You
Surfer Susie
Can't Wait Too Long (1980 mix)

LA
Calendar Girl (Fall 1978 remake produced by Bruce)

MIU
Beach Burlesque
Mike Come Back to LA

15 BIG ONES
Michael Row the Boat Ashore

Plus
Seasons in the Sun
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2015, 01:58:58 PM »

Thank Him
Glow Cresent Glow
I've Got a Friend (backing track)
10,000 Years Ago
Little Children
Out in the Country
River Song
Come To The Sunshine
Don't Let Me Go
Our Life, Our Love, Our Land

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2015, 02:13:06 PM »

What's funny is that on the bootlegs of Knebworth Michael sounds...FINE. Yeah, not the same as the late 60s and early 70s heyday but it's not like he was singing like crap (and certainly not as bad as he would sound less than a year later once Carl went on hiatus).

Who's the genius that convinced Mike (and everyone else, I'm guessing) to approve the slathering of atrocious Autotune on the Knebworth CD? It's so, so bad! I need to get a hold of the un-f*cked-with recording.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:16:20 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2015, 02:15:53 PM »

Seasons in the Sun is killer, and it's shocking that it has not been released thus far.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2015, 02:22:37 PM »

Thank Him
Glow Cresent Glow
10,000 Years Ago
Little Children
Out in the Country
River Song
Come To The Sunshine
Don't Let Me Go

“Thank Him” was released on the copyright extension “Big Beat 1963” album.

SBonilla
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2015, 02:34:02 PM »

Seasons in the Sun is killer, and it's shocking that it has not been released thus far.

More filler than killer. If that.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2015, 02:38:08 PM »

I never get that opinion! I know I appear to be in the minority of people who really dig it, but I never understand why people don't like it.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2015, 02:49:34 PM »

Thank Him
Glow Cresent Glow
10,000 Years Ago
Little Children
Out in the Country
River Song
Come To The Sunshine
Don't Let Me Go

“Thank Him” was released on the copyright extension “Big Beat 1963” album.

True but the sound quality....... hopefully an offical BB sanctioned release would be cleaned up somewhat.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2015, 02:51:54 PM »

I never get that opinion! I know I appear to be in the minority of people who really dig it, but I never understand why people don't like it.

If the BBs had just released it,  they'd have had another Million and two seller.  
Instead of Terry Jacks   ( But I just LUV Susan Jacks)  

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2015, 03:05:44 PM »

I really like it. Sometimes I forget songs like that and Lookin' Down the Coast haven't been released as they are out there in good quality on some CDs.

When I said hours I was talking about unreleased songs as in not different mixes or alternate takes.  If we start to go down that road the number of hours of unreleased stuff would seem infinite.

I also don't think they are going to release At the Hop et al.  The Spirit of Rock n Roll (Hawaii) version is a good shout.  It's another one of those they missed the boat with.  Also some of the titles people want release may not be up to much or not exist.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx