gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:20:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unleash The Love - Mike Love 2005 album  (Read 12497 times)
IainLee
« on: July 28, 2015, 12:15:14 PM »

Anyone know the background to this?

When it was recorded? With whom? Why it was never released?

It's actually a pretty good album. I'm looking at the possibility of releasing it (I have previous, not just a fruitcake, I just released an LP of Micky Dolenz rarities http://www.amazon.co.uk/Singles-Collection-Limited-Vinyl-Booklet/dp/B00YJADBJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438110854&sr=8-1&keywords=dolenz+mgm ) and wondered why it hadn't come out before.

Any info would be gratefully appreciated. If it's too sensitive to share here, then do email iain@iainlee.com and class check out www.facebook.com/7aRecords

Thanks for your time
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:02:37 PM »

It's actually a pretty good album. I'm looking at the possibility of releasing it (I have previous, not just a fruitcake, I just released an LP of Micky Dolenz rarities http://www.amazon.co.uk/Singles-Collection-Limited-Vinyl-Booklet/dp/B00YJADBJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438110854&sr=8-1&keywords=dolenz+mgm ) and wondered why it hadn't come out before.

Any info would be gratefully appreciated. If it's too sensitive to share here, then do email iain@iainlee.com and class check out www.facebook.com/7aRecords

Thanks for your time

I saw that on facebook. It's nice to see you on here. Smiley I don't know why it's unreleased, but good luck.
Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 01:46:51 PM »

Thanks for your time

Nice work...the album sounds great and the packaging really had some TLC put into it.

Good luck with getting any unreleased/rare Beach Boy related stuff out!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:48:36 PM by Terry » Logged
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 03:25:27 PM »

I know that Mike's son Christian sang on it.  He sounds particularly good on "Brian's Back."  I know nothing else about the album except the origin of the boots in circulation of it.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 10:51:51 PM »

Welcome to the board Iain - and thank you for all your work on Monkee rarities! I'm a big fan of your monkeebootlegs Facebook page.

Regarding 'Unleash' - dunno why the hold-up. I recall it being available for download on assorted Beach Boy blogs out there (which meant it was circulating), but it obviously never saw the light of day on a major. Perhaps the business side of things didn't jell. It would probably make sense to release it concurrent with the book release.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 11:15:48 PM »

I don't think it was ever completed. Audio of the Beatles, for instance, would almost certainly not have been part of any final release.

Given that Mike took tracks from it for the Hallmark album and then TWGMTR suggests he didn't think the album was worth saving.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 11:51:50 PM by Wirestone » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 11:37:03 PM »

Someone ought to put out that "First Love" album from '78.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 03:48:35 AM »

I'm a bit of a Mike defender but I'm pretty sure there just is no audience whatsoever for a Mike Love solo album. Who would buy this? Bruce Johnston? 300-400 hardcore fans?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 05:19:54 AM »

I'm a bit of a Mike defender but I'm pretty sure there just is no audience whatsoever for a Mike Love solo album. Who would buy this? Bruce Johnston? 300-400 hardcore fans?

Probably, but as a download, with no real packaging or distribution costs to speak of, that might be enough.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 06:11:54 AM »

Sell it at the merch stands at Mike and Bruce shows and it would sell thousands.  Sincerely, I think it would easily sell thousands.  If they do just one song from it in the live show it would get enough people curious that it would move many copies.  Just my thoughts.  I would welcome it.  Scott Totten has told me that there are songs recorded at those sessions that haven't made it to the underground market yet.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 07:20:15 AM »

I sense that a lack of a willing distributor is not necessarily what has kept a release of that mid-2000s Mike stuff from seeing a release. That’s not to say that if a major label had begged Mike for an album in 2004, he wouldn’t have obliged.

But seeing as how Mike is much more “into” the internet these days (regularly posts on Facebook) and released the “Pisces Brothers” track online, I’m guessing he wouldn’t be opposed to releasing a “solo” album online. I sense it’s just not a huge priority for him, and he’s probably never hunkered down and finished it. As Wirestone mentioned, the circa 2004 “album” that floated around was not what a finished album would have looked like. The McCartney home recording from India would almost surely never get cleared, and while it’s not impossible to have guest singers on an album, I’m not 100% convinced that Mike would have included all of those Christian Love lead vocals.

Also, while I’m sure he wouldn’t be opposed to releasing songs that have already come out, he has “released” four of those circa 2004 album tracks in some form or another. “Cool Head, Warm Heart” was on the Hallmark CD. “Love Like in Fairytales” (or whatever he re-named it) was put out on the ESQ CD. “Daybreak….” was put on the TWGMTR album (with only minimal BB overdubs), and he most recently released “Pisces Brothers” (not sure if anyone actually dug into that version to see if it was the identical mix to the 2004 version). If you take those out of running and the Christian Love tracks (and again, I acknowledge all of those *could* still be included on a theoretical album), there’s not much “album” left. He no doubt has recorded at least some other odds and ends in the last decade I would imagine.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 08:00:20 AM »

Why does he record so much but release so little? Aren't there like 3 or so unreleased solo albums?
KDS
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 08:02:51 AM »

Sell it at the merch stands at Mike and Bruce shows and it would sell thousands.  Sincerely, I think it would easily sell thousands.  If they do just one song from it in the live show it would get enough people curious that it would move many copies.  Just my thoughts.  I would welcome it.  Scott Totten has told me that there are songs recorded at those sessions that haven't made it to the underground market yet.

As an added bonus, have Mike sign a few and make those available at the merch stands. 
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 08:12:56 AM »

Why does he record so much but release so little?

What would you do if you spent the day at the studio, got home, played the tape and realised you'd made 'Wrinkles'?

By the way welcome along Iain! I knew you were a prominent Monkees fan but didn't realise you were behind the recent Dolenz release. Kudos!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 08:33:42 AM »

Sell it at the merch stands at Mike and Bruce shows and it would sell thousands.  Sincerely, I think it would easily sell thousands.  If they do just one song from it in the live show it would get enough people curious that it would move many copies.  Just my thoughts.  I would welcome it.  Scott Totten has told me that there are songs recorded at those sessions that haven't made it to the underground market yet.

No one buys CDs anymore. Some inside info - even a band that can sell 30,000 tickets might only  sell aroun 5 CDs
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:34:56 AM by Woodstock » Logged

IainLee
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 08:41:14 AM »

People do but CD's. They also buy vinyl. The Dolenz LP has sold close to 1,000 copies.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 09:00:18 AM »

Some of us, given the choice of a download vs. a physical CD or LP, will choose the physical media over a download every time.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:01:16 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 09:09:51 AM »

I wonder if a deal would be possible for Mike to sell the album (or which recordings he wants to be released from the album) as part of the book. You know, a bonus gift. There would also be almost no extra packaging costs etc.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 09:32:44 AM »

Some of us, given the choice of a download vs. a physical CD or LP, will choose the physical media over a download every time.

I should have specified that it's at live shows where CDs do not sell

marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 09:54:17 AM »

What would you do if you spent the day at the studio, got home, played the tape and realised you'd made 'Wrinkles'?

What is wrinkles?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 10:03:43 AM »

What is wrinkles?

This is it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7KespoHzM

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 10:10:45 AM »

Why does he record so much but release so little? Aren't there like 3 or so unreleased solo albums?

Pretty sure there are a couple more if you include all the re-recordings with Adrian Baker.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 10:19:13 AM »

If a label like Light in the Attic put out "First Love", and marketed it as a hip unreleased yacht rock album (complete with late '70s era Mike on a sailboat on the cover), it'd probably do pretty well. Doubt it in the case of a modern solo album, unless Mike hooked up with some seriously hip weirdos for it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:14:00 PM by DonnyL » Logged

marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 11:15:34 AM »

What is wrinkles?

This is it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq7KespoHzM

Thats pretty awful. But if there is anything else along the lines of Daybreak over the ocean I'd be willing to pick it up.
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 01:20:05 PM »

After years of reading "Wrinkles" jokes here on the board, I finally gave in and listened to it just now.  Wow, that is worse than I expected.  And sadly, now I can not get it out of my head. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx