gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:12:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: VINYL RE-ISSUES QUESTION  (Read 5092 times)
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »

I'm not much of an audiophile but was at Amoeba yesterday and thumbed through the vinyl reissues of the Brother years... Sunflower through KTSA.  And I must say, it was a trip to hold in my hands brand spanking new copies of albums on their first release.

I guess my question would be, how do they sound in comparison to the 24 bit CD reissues?  If I pick any of them up, I won't be listening on turntable anyway... just transferring to CDR for my truck system... but even under these constraints, is there a marked difference in the sound?
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 10:29:24 AM »

I'm not much of an audiophile but was at Amoeba yesterday and thumbed through the vinyl reissues of the Brother years... Sunflower through KTSA.  And I must say, it was a trip to hold in my hands brand spanking new copies of albums on their first release.

I guess my question would be, how do they sound in comparison to the 24 bit CD reissues?  If I pick any of them up, I won't be listening on turntable anyway... just transferring to CDR for my truck system... but even under these constraints, is there a marked difference in the sound?

COMMENT:  You had your hands on a reissue, not an original. Big difference. Is there a difference in sound, Yes. but if you don't have a turntable with a pure analog system, the better sound would be a professionally produced CD.

Why not make your transfer from the Sunflower study-video? If you haven't been there, suggest you visit my website and press the button for the first part of my book which will include a pristine vinyl to digital transfer, etc. If you want an education and the best listening experience, go to http://swdstudyvideos.com.  HOWEVER, right now the website is down, pending preparation for release of a new study-video. Keep monitoring this Smiley Smile website. When the website is back up, I'll post a notice. It won't be long.
  ~swd
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 10:42:10 AM »

Wow... I never thought I'd get an answer from Stephen Desper on my silly question.  Thank you, sir.

And may I just add that of all of the Beach Boys albums, Sunflower, hands down, is my all time favorite.  Just from a sonic perspective, I still discover new things in that album every time I listen.  And I've been listening since the fall of 1976.  Still nothing quite like it.  Magical.
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »

This may have been discussed before, but has anyone else noticed on the bottom back cover of 20/20, it says "Originally released in 1964"?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 11:30:47 AM »

Wow... I never thought I'd get an answer from Stephen Desper on my silly question.  Thank you, sir.

And may I just add that of all of the Beach Boys albums, Sunflower, hands down, is my all time favorite.  Just from a sonic perspective, I still discover new things in that album every time I listen.  And I've been listening since the fall of 1976.  Still nothing quite like it.  Magical.
Steve, you'll hear a pretty big difference on Sunflower when you hear the Matrix mix. Especially on the background vocals.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 12:05:19 PM »

Steve, you'll hear a pretty big difference on Sunflower when you hear the Matrix mix. Especially on the background vocals.
[/quote]

Matrix mix? What's that?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 02:05:57 PM »

The best sounding vinyl is always going to be the originals - and I see the prices they are charging for the new stuff, you can find pristine originals for the same price.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 02:44:58 PM »

Unfortunately the Brother/Reprise original of Sunflower can't be had cheaply.  It doesn't come up often on ebay.  I check regularly for that one.  I have the original "Thanks Marilyn" pressing of Surf's Up (2 copies) though.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 04:32:40 PM »

Here's a nice conversation between Stephen Desper and CustomMachine about Sunflower on vinyl (you might have to scroll around on the thread to get the full gist)

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16766.msg488916.html#msg488916

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »

This may have been discussed before, but has anyone else noticed on the bottom back cover of 20/20, it says "Originally released in 1964"?

Nice catch, Coda - it has been mentioned before here (at least) - http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16766.msg481611.html#msg481611 - and in a few other spots.

Check out the thread and feel free to chip in your thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 04:02:57 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 04:50:48 PM »

Matrix mix? What's that?
[/quote]

You'll find out when Stephen's study guide is back up and running and you check it out (a must do) - but by way of quick answer, Sunflower was recorded using innovative techniques that broaden the "sound image" beyond your 2 stereo speakers (left to right) and adds depth within the image (specific instruments or vocals can be moved forward or back).  However, the recordings are encoded in a certain way, and have to be decoded during mastering - otherwise it will be in standard stereo and you won't get the full experience of listening to the album the way the band intended.

Only the original vinyl pressings run from lacquers mastered at Artisan present the original intention.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:41:27 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 05:02:10 PM »

The best sounding vinyl is always going to be the originals - and I see the prices they are charging for the new stuff, you can find pristine originals for the same price.
Not always true. The best sounding vinyl Pet Sounds is the 1972 Brother/Reprise release. The Sunflower and Surf's Up original vinyl have the matrix/quad info that I'm not sure the reissues have.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 06:59:29 PM »

Not always true. The best sounding vinyl Pet Sounds is the 1972 Brother/Reprise release. The Sunflower and Surf's Up original vinyl have the matrix/quad info that I'm not sure the reissues have.
The US pressed Capitol era originals pretty sound pretty middling (in my opinion) and I tend to look for the better sounding (in my opinion) Green label reissues.  But I do seek out first US pressings of the Reprise/Warners and Caribou/CBS eras.

The new Analogue Prod vinyl I have to date sound the best (opinion).

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 06:08:52 AM »

The US pressed Capitol era originals pretty sound pretty middling (in my opinion) and I tend to look for the better sounding (in my opinion) Green label reissues.  But I do seek out first US pressings of the Reprise/Warners and Caribou/CBS eras.

I agree with you Alan, Capitol Greens and Warner Reprise are fabulous, even the fake stereo Wild Honey and Smiley Smile if I remember correctly! These also sound great:

http://www.discogs.com/Beach-Boys-Surfin-USA/release/4285813

http://www.discogs.com/Beach-Boys-The-Beach-Boys-Christmas-Album/release/1527048
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »

I agree with you Alan, Capitol Greens and Warner Reprise are fabulous, even the fake stereo Wild Honey and Smiley Smile if I remember correctly! These also sound great:

http://www.discogs.com/Beach-Boys-The-Beach-Boys-Christmas-Album/release/1527048

I'm with you guys, there are plenty of reissues that sound better than the original pressings. I find a lot of the originals have pretty bad run out groove distortion, so the audio quality dips the last song or two of the side (this is especially bad on my copy of All Summer Long).
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 08:44:53 AM »

Is it my faulty memory from 40 years ago, or did SPIRIT OF AMERICA contain the Duophonic mixes of mono tracks like 409, Do You Wanna Dance, Good to My Baby, Tell Me Why, Barbara Ann, The Little Girl I Once Knew, etc.?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 12:50:34 AM »

I'm with you guys, there are plenty of reissues that sound better than the original pressings. I find a lot of the originals have pretty bad run out groove distortion, so the audio quality dips the last song or two of the side (this is especially bad on my copy of All Summer Long).

Hey Amanda! - word, I have an original ASL, printed in L/A no less (not from the first run tho') and side 2 sounds like utter merda in general. Have you bagged any of the Acoustic Sounds reissues?

Hey MikeD!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 01:13:15 PM »

Hey Amanda! - word, I have an original ASL, printed in L/A no less (not from the first run tho') and side 2 sounds like utter merda in general. Have you bagged any of the Acoustic Sounds reissues?

Hey MikeD!

No, I haven't. There's a local record store that was carrying them, and I'll probably pick them up eventually, especially since they've been getting such high marks here.
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 11:10:52 AM »

While we're talking about vinyl re-issues, I have a question about this particular reissue:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/the-beach-boys-surfer-girl/hnum/6800434

I bought this reissue on Rumble Records hoping to have the album in new condition for my collection. But this thing was a complete shock:
There is actually a misspelling of the song Surfers Rule on the back cover and on the lp itself. It's now called Surfer's Tule. This is a pretty terrible mistake. I mean, the worst part is that this lp didn't cost like 1 dollar, bur more like 20 dollars. This sucks pretty bad!
Is anyone familiar with Rumble Records and has made similar experiences?

At least I leaned something: next time I'll spend 15 dollars more for an Acoustic Sounds reissue.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 11:14:56 AM »

While we're talking about vinyl re-issues, I have a question about this particular reissue:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/the-beach-boys-surfer-girl/hnum/6800434

I bought this reissue on Rumble Records hoping to have the album in new condition for my collection. But this thing was a complete shock:
There is actually a misspelling of the song Surfers Rule on the back cover and on the lp itself. It's now called Surfer's Tule. This is a pretty terrible mistake. I mean, the worst part is that this lp didn't cost like 1 dollar, bur more like 20 dollars. This sucks pretty bad!
Is anyone familiar with Rumble Records and has made similar experiences?

At least I leaned something: next time I'll spend 15 dollars more for an Acoustic Sounds reissue.

Do not buy from these labels. Ask yourself...Would Rumble Records have access to the original source tapes of this album? cd rip probably

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 11:39:25 AM »

Is it my faulty memory from 40 years ago, or did SPIRIT OF AMERICA contain the Duophonic mixes of mono tracks like 409, Do You Wanna Dance, Good to My Baby, Tell Me Why, Barbara Ann, The Little Girl I Once Knew, etc.?
I believe they were fake stereo, but not Capitol's Duophonic, the same fake stereo of the Capitol Greens and, I beiieve, the early 1970s 2-Lp reissues with songs omitted, and Best of the Beach Boys Vol. 3. It's the bass on one side, treble on the other mixes. 409 might be an exception.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 04:11:53 PM »

I believe they were fake stereo, but not Capitol's Duophonic, the same fake stereo of the Capitol Greens and, I beiieve, the early 1970s 2-Lp reissues with songs omitted, and Best of the Beach Boys Vol. 3. It's the bass on one side, treble on the other mixes. 409 might be an exception.
They are in fake stereo on my pressing - perhaps re 409, "they" pulled this from the LDC stereo master (where I think it got dinked with, but could be wrong there).

The '80's CD (Larry Walsh remaster) mono versions, including a mono presentation of Break Away, which was in stereo on the LP.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2015, 03:36:03 PM »

As for the Warner years LP's, I really prefer my White Label Promo Artisan pressings.   Both Sunflower and Surf's up sounded quite a bit better than the standard Retail issues.  Those are the only promo copies I have, but I also have an Artisan pressed Carl and the Passions/Pet Sounds that sounds incredible.   Really I think Artisan pressed 70's BB's are the way to go.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »

As for the Warner years LP's, I really prefer my White Label Promo Artisan pressings.   Both Sunflower and Surf's up sounded quite a bit better than the standard Retail issues.  Those are the only promo copies I have, but I also have an Artisan pressed Carl and the Passions/Pet Sounds that sounds incredible.   Really I think Artisan pressed 70's BB's are the way to go.

Check out the link I popped in at post 8 above (if you've not already) - you've done really well, as per Stephen Desper's detailed info!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

VanDykeParksAndRec
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 09:35:09 AM »

Check out the link I popped in at post 8 above (if you've not already) - you've done really well, as per Stephen Desper's detailed info!

Thanks for that link, I have seen Mr. Desper touch on some of that over at the Hoffman forums, but I hadn't known the Artisan pressings specifically had his and Carl's touch specifically. Great read!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx