gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680870 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:01:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Material?  (Read 4703 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2015, 06:39:57 PM »

Given the fact that all of the BBs have written some incredible tunes throughout the years, I assume they all still write from time to time. (Even Bruce, who has a disregard for his songwriting) Obviously, Brian and Mike still do, as BW just released a record and Mike is talking about releasing one in the next year or so. Al had recorded relatively new songs for his solo LP, and David Marks was consistently putting out records back in the day.
So that gives me this question---
Will there ever be any new material released under the BBs banner?

TWGMTR was a good conclusion to the BBs life as a recording act, but I'd love to see if Bruce, maybe with a little help from Mike, had any more songs in them.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:24:01 PM »

I wouldn't mind seeing more of the TWGMTR-era recordings released if they're finished enough to warrant such.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 03:34:58 AM »

Sadly, I very much doubt it. That said, TWGMTR was in all respects a fitting coda to a storied career. Let sleeping dogs lie...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 07:33:41 AM »

I don't think there'll be any more lps. It's possible, though unlikely, that they could get together for a one-off single to mark a special occasion, but what that special occasion might be I can't imagine.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 11:17:06 PM »

I can't even imagine Brian recording much longer. The albums don't sell, and record companies are only interested in the bottom line. Plus all the guys are getting up there in age.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 12:29:58 AM »

even if Mike or Bruce did have new material, they can't record under the BBs banner. thankfully. meanwhile we have Brian's latest album and tour which feature more Beach Boys than a Beach Boys show, and most importantly: Brian Wilson.

i'll take it.

as we saw once again with TWGMTR and the C50 fallout, Mike continues to stifle and belittle Brian's music while contributing nothing of real merit. Brian delivered a #3 album, the highest charting debut of their entire career, and Mike even scoffed at that. Brian is better off without him, and so were The Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:31:09 AM by bossaroo » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 03:19:33 AM »

Thanks in part to the cancellation of Brian's UK tour, there is now two periods of roughly a fortnight each in September and October/into November when both touring entities have time on their hands.

In my idealist, naive world, they'd use that time constructively Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 01:33:29 PM »

even if Mike or Bruce did have new material, they can't record under the BBs banner. thankfully. meanwhile we have Brian's latest album and tour which feature more Beach Boys than a Beach Boys show, and most importantly: Brian Wilson.

i'll take it.

as we saw once again with TWGMTR and the C50 fallout, Mike continues to stifle and belittle Brian's music while contributing nothing of real merit. Brian delivered a #3 album, the highest charting debut of their entire career, and Mike even scoffed at that. Brian is better off without him, and so were The Beach Boys.
A #3 album that is on the 200 for barely over a month shouldn't be compared with a #10 that is on the chart for half a year.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 05:13:05 PM »

i'll take it.

A #3 album that is on the 200 for barely over a month shouldn't be compared with a #10 that is on the chart for half a year.

never said it should, everyone knows the music biz and album sales are not the same as they used to be. but the fact remains it was their highest charting album upon its release and that is pretty f***!ng remarkable if you ask me.

and your contention that Brian's albums don't sell and record companies aren't interested seems pretty unfounded considering he's been releasing albums fairly steadily for the last decade and a half. and the fact that the guys are "getting up there in age" didn't seem to hurt the performance of TWGMTR, which broke new ground for the band.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:17:40 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 05:19:33 PM »

i'll take it.

It's a Beach Boys album nevertheless, not a BW one. Brian's albums, God bless him, don't chart as high. And a last collaborative effort, compositionally or vocally, would be a dream come true. Nothing against BW's solo output, but I'm first and foremost a fan of the group.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
KDS
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 05:53:28 AM »

Sadly, I very much doubt it. That said, TWGMTR was in all respects a fitting coda to a storied career. Let sleeping dogs lie...

Amen. 

If you listen to the TWGMTR album now, it almost sounds like a concept album detailing the reunion, and end of the reunion.  Brian even sings on PCH  "I'm better off alone, I'm better on my own" before singing "Good-bye."  Prophetic. 
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 06:28:46 AM »

^^ I agree and I thought of that too.
Read the lyrics to "Spring Vacation" w/ the C50 tour in mind haha

"Driving around living the dream
I'm crusin' the town, diggin' the scene
I'm not gonna stress, not gonna worry
Doing our best, no need to hurry
Lookin' ahead with anticipation
Making each day a new celebration
Seems like it could go on forever
Long as we can all stay together

We use to get around
Get up and hit up
All the hot spots in town
Spring Vacation
Good vibrations
Summer weather
We're back together
Easy money, ain't life funny"
KDS
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 06:36:04 AM »

^^ I agree and I thought of that too.
Read the lyrics to "Spring Vacation" w/ the C50 tour in mind haha

"Driving around living the dream
I'm crusin' the town, diggin' the scene
I'm not gonna stress, not gonna worry
Doing our best, no need to hurry
Lookin' ahead with anticipation
Making each day a new celebration
Seems like it could go on forever
Long as we can all stay together

We use to get around
Get up and hit up
All the hot spots in town
Spring Vacation
Good vibrations
Summer weather
We're back together
Easy money, ain't life funny"

Very true.  Plus, the title track praises music and spreading it to the new generation.  Isn't It Time and Spring Vacation are about the reunion.  PCH and Summer's Gone could be about the end of the summer of 2012, and Brian's farewell to the Beach Boys. 

Not sure how the tracks in the middle fit in.  Maybe you get some Brian type material with B&S and Shelter, then some Mike let's go the beach stuff with Daybreak and BIM. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 06:44:04 AM »

i'll take it.

It's a Beach Boys album nevertheless, not a BW one. Brian's albums, God bless him, don't chart as high. And a last collaborative effort, compositionally or vocally, would be a dream come true. Nothing against BW's solo output, but I'm first and foremost a fan of the group.

More BB group vocals on NPP than TWGMTR ...
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 10:49:46 AM »

In the last 20 years, the Beach Boys world has delivered more than I could have ever expected. I don't demand anything else, but if it does great! Right now I'm anticipating the book bios about to come out!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 01:23:41 PM »

All I ask is that we get Brian's rock 'n roll album within the next few years and hopefully some more unreleased material on future compilations.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 08:07:58 AM »

then some Mike let's go the beach stuff with Daybreak...

Your version must have very different lyrics to mine...  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KDS
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 08:18:12 AM »

then some Mike let's go the beach stuff with Daybreak...

Your version must have very different lyrics to mine...  Wink

I realize that my post makes it seem like I don't like Daybreak or Beaches in Mind.  In reality, I like those songs very much. 
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 11:39:31 AM »

Totally agree, AGD.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »

Have to say, it makes sense for The Beach Boys to go out with BW's original idea: Summer's Gone. No mas!

Lookin' forward to THE ROCK N' ROLL ALBUM, that band is cookin' lately and if they go right in the studio and record the backing tracks live, PHOO-EEEEEEEEEE! Lots of Blondie guitar please. Dual Jardines, BW enthusiastic, no Foskett, no Joe Thomas -- yes please.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:58:37 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 06:31:47 PM »

i'll take it.

never said it should, everyone knows the music biz and album sales are not the same as they used to be. but the fact remains it was their highest charting album upon its release and that is pretty f***!ng remarkable if you ask me.

and your contention that Brian's albums don't sell and record companies aren't interested seems pretty unfounded considering he's been releasing albums fairly steadily for the last decade and a half. and the fact that the guys are "getting up there in age" didn't seem to hurt the performance of TWGMTR, which broke new ground for the band.
If album sales were recorded in the 60's the way they are now - with all the pre-order hype - I'm sure All Summer Long, Beach Boys Today and Summer Days would have had outstanding first week sales, too. The difference is, they would have continued to sell for 6 months/1 year, versus the way TWGMTR sold. Back then, they had constant airplay on top 40 stations. Today, the only place you MIGHT hear a new BB's/BW song is on A/C...and even that's a stretch. There just isn't any promotional muscle behind the work of older artists today, beyond getting a strong first week showing on the charts.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 10:34:05 PM »

I blame those record sales facts you just mentioned on the way radio works today. 

In the 60's, you still had D.J.'s, and they would play music by bands that were either requested by callers, or were going to do a live show soon that the radio station was involved with.  So artists could literally work their asses off and get their music played, and dj's could play what they wanted, and kids could call in and request songs they liked to be played again.

Now everything's tuned and maximized to the ultimate profit, so record play is bought by record labels, no amount of requesting the latest beach boys song is going to get it played on the radio, and while you may have some bright spots like the DJ's that played some of the NPP premieres on foreign radio podcasts, in general the era of the Disc Jockey is gone and the music industry has completely changed because of it.

Not sure how it works in other countries, but that's the state we're in in the states.
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 11:09:45 PM »

I don't know how I'd feel about brand new material, but I would love it if Brian would finish his life suite, have the boys add vocals, and then release it under the Beach Boys name.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx