gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:35:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'd rather listen to Kokomo than.........  (Read 7586 times)
KDS
« on: July 24, 2015, 11:42:54 AM »

It's Friday.  It's summertime, so I just wanted to start a fun, opinion based thread. 

I had an aside about the song Kokomo in another thread.  I know it's a very polarizing song.  Most people seem to dislike it, but I'm on the other side of the fence.  For a band past their 25th year, that's a pretty good song in my opinion. 

I also said that I'd rather hear Kokomo than plenty of other songs in the BB catalog, some of which were released during their creative years 62-73.

I hope this doesn't evolve into a Mike v. Brian type thread, and I don't wish to be accused of not being a Brian fan for a couple of my choices, but here it goes....

I'd rather listen to Kokomo than:

1.  Sonny v Cassius / Our Favorite Sessions / Bull Session - I know it was a different time, and the full length album was not exactly an art form.  But these tracks mar the otherwise great Shut Down Vol 2, All Summer Long, and Today albums. 

2.  Vegetables - In any form, it's one of my least favorite BB songs.  I think its a weak link on Smile, and for the life of me, I can understand why this song is so well liked. 

3.  Take a Load Off Your Feet - This song might keep Surf's Up from being my favorite Beach Boys album.

4. Rock and Roll Music - I really had my pick of 15 Big One tracks, but I'm going with this because it should have been a classic.  The arrangement is not very rock and roll. 

5.  I Wanna Pick You Up - I could pick a couple tracks from Love You also.  It will never be in my top ten BB records.  I know it's supposed to sound innocent, but I think it sounds creepy. 

6.  Here Comes the Night (LA Version) - There's nothing I can say.  This is just bad, and at 11 painful minutes, it's borderline torture. 

7.  Keeping the Summer Alive - No offense to Carl Wilson or Randy Bachman.  I see what they were trying to do here, but it just doesn't seem to work for me. 

8.  Wipe Out - I suppose The Beach Boys saw the shot in the arm that Run DMC gave Aerosmith and decided to do a track with The Fat Boys.   I'm not a fan of the rap genre, so I can't get into this. 

9.  Summer of Love - Hands down, the first thing The Beach Boys have ever committed to tape.  Although their awful version of Under the Boardwalk gives it a run for its money.  (How did The Beach Boys screw that one up???)  It's so bad, it's laughable.

10. Barbara Ann - Thought I was going to skip this one?  I don't hate this track.  I just like Kokomo better.  And I do like Barbara Ann live. 
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 11:46:29 AM »

11. "Hey Little Tomboy"  (also creepy)
KDS
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 11:50:59 AM »

11. "Hey Little Tomboy"  (also creepy)

I almost included that one, but I wanted to limit my list to just ten.  I agree though. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 11:59:08 AM »

... anything by that sanctimonious twat Morrissey.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KDS
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 12:04:31 PM »

Andrew,

I agree with you 150%. 

But, I was strictly speaking Beach Boys tracks. 

Smiley

cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 12:08:11 PM »

12. "Ten Little Indians"   (Bombay?)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 12:08:56 PM »

"Bluebirds over the Mountain"

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »

Andrew,

I agree with you 150%. 

But, I was strictly speaking Beach Boys tracks. 

Smiley

Ah, well, in that case... "Barbara-*******-Ann", of course !  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 12:18:41 PM »

I'd rather listen to 'Kokomo' than...

1. 'My Little Tomboy', the worst BW-involved Beach Boys song in my opinion.

2. Actually, the entire M.I.U. Album besides 'My Diane' and maybe 'Wontcha Come Out Tonight'

3. 'Here Comes The Night' 1979 disco. I don't think "bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeccccchhhhh" is a strong enough word to describe that monstrosity.

4. The entirety of the rest of Still Cruisin', minus of course the three '60s classics, and also the entirety of Summer in Purgatory.

5. Most of 15 Big Ones, with the exception of 'Had To Phone Ya', 'It's OK' and on a good day, 'Back Home'.

6. Much of the Surf's Up album. Basically anything that isn't 'Long Promised Road', 'Disney Girls', 'Feel Flows', 'Day in the Life of a Tree', 'Till I Die' and 'Surf's Up'.

7. Stupid filler like 'Denny's Drums', 'Shut Down, Part II', 'Louie, Louie', 'Our Favorite Recording Sessions', 'Bull Session with Big Daddy', 'Carl's Big Chance',  etc., etc., et f*cking cetera.

8. Most of the surf instrumentals on the first coupla albums, even though I like surf instruments and hey they're not that bad

9. Every cheesy, glossy turd of a song on the Beach Boys 1985 album (basically everything but 'It's Gettin' Late', 'Maybe I Don't Know', 'I'm So Lonely', 'Where I Belong' and 'It's Just a Matter of Time').

10. Most of Keepin' the Summer Alive, except the title track, 'Oh Darlin'', 'Livin' with a Heartache' and 'Goin' On'.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 12:19:09 PM »

I could make a pretty big list, actually, but I'll limit it to a couple per decade.  Also going to ignore obvious novelty songs or clunkers.

60s: Surfin USA,  Surfin Safari

70s: Rock and Roll Music, Sail On, Sailor

80s: Getcha Back, Still Cruisin'

90s: Summer in Paradise, Island Fever

00s: Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl,  Live Let Live

10s: Strange World, Sail Away

Mind you, these are all songs I like.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 12:48:24 PM »

Summer of Love for obvious reasons.

When Girls Get Together.  Leaden.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 12:51:27 PM »

Anything by the Minutemen

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 01:42:55 PM »

"Honey(I Miss You)-Bobby Goldsboro...no, wait a minute..."Sumaha...no, hold on "Everyon...no, I've got it," Anna L...   Whatever!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 01:46:23 PM »

OSD! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 01:50:02 PM »

... read most "My cousins did drugs" and "My music is about love" Mike/ Brian touring PR bullsh!t stories.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 01:53:28 PM »

Great thread idea!

I'd rather listen to Kokomo than...

FINDER'S KEEPERS!! (GAH! I HATE THAT SONG! I think it's worse than Summer of Love!)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 02:14:16 PM »

Literally any song Mike wrote about Transcendental Meditation.

Pisces Brothers

Amusement Parks USA

Barbara Ann

Take Good Care of Your Feet

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 03:28:35 PM »

I'd rather listen to 'Kokomo' by the Beach Boys [but only if it's the version with Carl] than to listen to 'Kokomo' by John Phillips.  First time I EVER heard Kokomo...it was coming out of a speaker just outside of the original 'Sam the Record Man' on Yonge St...in Toronto. I stopped, stood and listened.  [and said "Wholly Shyte!!!  THAT'S a new Beach Boys' song!!!!!!!!!"  T'was the first one in quite awhile.

I liked it.  I was 100% GLAD to hear it.  I was also 100% glad that it was entirely successful.  No poilitics.  Just a great Beach Boys' song.  Summer in Pair of Dice?  Not so much.

I guess that'll NEVER happen again. Sad

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 03:40:38 PM »

I'd rather listen to "Kokomo" than "Santa's Got An Airplane".

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 03:59:28 PM »

Passing Friend

Summer of Love

Lady Liberty

Kokomo (Spanish version)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Foot Fetish Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »

I rather enjoy "Kokomo" (AND my cassette of "Summer In Paradise" and CD of BB'85) so it'll be easier for me to pull this off than most other fans.

I'd rather listen to "Kokomo" than:

1. A Day In The Life Of A Tree-Sheer embarrassment. When I try to turn somebody on to the true talents of the Beach Boys I would NEVER dream of using this track...It's be like trying to turn on somebody to Uriah Heep with "Come Away Melinda" or somebody to the mighty Todd Rundgren with "Emperor of the Highway"!

2. Take A Load Off Your Feet-..........and I'm the guy with the friggin' foot fetish and I STILL can't get into this track!

3. School Day-I've heard rock'n'roll played with more authority on the 80s children's TV show, Fraggle Rock......and that has to be the most retarded sounding background vocals I've ever heard....even if it is on key.

4. When Girls Get Together-Shows that even during the musical highpoint of the Sunflower days there could still be really awful crap that could be recorded. There doesn't need to be an explanation why this was left on the cutting room floor (originally). Maybe they had to have SOMETHING on Keepin' The Summer Alive to make the rest of the album seem better than it is (and half of the album I like....probably all relative after being exposed to "When Girls Get Together")

5. California Calling-From an album I otherwise love. This may be tied with "School Days". Sounds like a pastiche of Beach Boys cliches by session musicians and session vocalists for a car lot commercial.

6. Heroes and Villains-I just never could 'connect' with this track.....and I really enjoy the rest of Smiley Smile!

7. Luau-Cheesy and dorky enough to be something that Opie and his band would play on the Andy Griffith Show.

Tracks like those listed above may account for why I have much more fondness for BB'85, SIP, and TWGMTR than a lot of other listeners do.

Nothin' but a foot fetish thang! (Thank you, Brittany Michelle)
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 04:28:55 PM »

I'd rather listen to Kokomo than the rest of "Still Cruisin'"
But I really like Kokomo because it reminds me of Elisabeth Shue's breasts.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 05:34:38 PM »

I'd rather listen to Kokomo over anything off 15 Big Ones, Love You, BWPS, That Lucky Old Sun, TWGMTR or No Pier Pressure.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 06:15:24 PM »

I'd rather listen to Kokomo than:

2.  Vegetables - In any form, it's one of my least favorite BB songs.  I think its a weak link on Smile, and for the life of me, I can understand why this song is so well liked. 

You, sir, are a brave man.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2015, 06:22:49 PM »

All I Want to Do

Be Here in the Mornin'

Disney Girls

Don't Go Near the Water

and a little over half of Smiley Smile
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx