gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:26:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 61: Warsteiner HockeyPark Arena - Möchengladbach, Germany August 5th, 2012  (Read 20647 times)
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: August 05, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »

I just came home from the concert in Mönchengladbach, my first BB concert ever. I was and still am in music HEAVEN!

It was open air and there was a little rain, but mostly before the show. They started at 8 and played 2 1/4 hours without intermission.

The setlist was pretty cool with Wendy, California Saga, Marcella and so on. They didn't play Kiss me baby, Add some music, Pet Sounds, IJWMFTT or Disney girls (Bruce seemed to have a rough night vocally).

Mike screwed up the beginning of Be true to your school - after the count-in he was a beat behind the whole band for the first verse and looked around pretty lost :D

Brian actually sang "she goes with me to a blossom world WE FIND" on Good Vibes.

Bruce dedicated "When I grow up" to Graham Bonney and his family, who was in the audience a few rows in front of me. (Remember him? Supergirl and so on...)

The sound was ok although the Vibes on All summer long and the saxophone solo on Rhonda were not on. But the vocals were very clear.

I won't ever forget that night! Glad I picked up the tour programm which is really nicely done.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 03:31:56 PM »

Cool to see "Marcella" back in the set. I think that song will surprise many concert goers who only know the hits.

How many people attended ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:23:38 PM »

Yeah, how was the attendance?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 08:01:38 PM »

It was not completely sold out. Hard to guess how many people were actually there, I would say around 10.000.
Before the concert I heard people say things like "I hope they don't only play stuff from the new album", "I did not expect so many people on stage" (when they saw the lineup in the program book) and so on. The gentleman next to me attended his first and only BB concert in 1965 and told me about his great memories.

Here are the songs they played (from memory, not in the correct order):
Do it again
Little Honda
Surfin Safari
Shut down
Don't worry baby
Why do fools fall in love
Surfer girl
Catch a wave
You're so good to me
Then I kissed her ("Keep it clean with Al Jardine" - ML)
Hawaii
Wendy (great performance and audience reception)
Don't back down
California Saga
Be true to your school (with mistake by ML)
Ballad of ole Betsy (has anybody ever loved a car? What was it - a mercedes? A BMW? An Opel? :D)
I get around
Do you wanna dance
When I grow up (dedicated to Graham Bonney - the song ending was new to me)
Help me, Rhonda (Sax solo inaudible)
Please let me wonder
That's why god made the radio (lukewarm reception - not many people seemed to know the song)
Marcella (works much better live than I expected)
Little Deuce Coupe
In my room (after the car-medley)
Barbara Ann (after the solo, Mike / or Brian shortly went into "Papa oom mow mow" (the funniest sound I ever heard...))
Sloop John B. (into:)
Wouldn't it be nice
God only knows (very nice lead by Brian)
Heroes and villains
Darlin' (with a capella chorus at the end, beautiful lead by Darian)
Cottonfields
Good timin
Getcha back (David)
All this is that
Sail on sailor (Brian doing his hand movements, who are imitated by Foskett - great image)
Rock and roll music
It's ok (sounded weaker than I expected, lacked a bit energy)
Good Vibrations (she goes with me to a blossom world we find...)
California Girls (after GV)
All summer long (after CG)
Come and go with me (Introduction by Al, talking about Doo Wop)
California dreamin (Strong vocals by Al and Brian)

Encore:
Kokomo
Surfin USA
Fun Fun Fun

Another thing I remember is Foskett and Cowsill doing some kind of "I can't dance" dance around the stage (D'amico played Drums on a couple of songs with Gregory on Bass), don't ask me on which song :D And Bruce's clapping and conducting works really great live, he even got the whole crowd to stand up a couple of times. And David is just a cool guy with some tasty guitar leads - the only original member to actually contribute to the instrumental sound of the band. Brian's, Bruce's and Al's instruments were more or less inaudible.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 02:58:39 AM »

Wrote the whole setlist down:
1. Do It Again
2. Little Honda
3. Catch A Wave
4. Hawaii
5. Don’t Back Down
6. Surfin’ Safari
7. Surfer Girl
8. You’re So Good To Me
9. Then I Kissed Her
10. Please Let Me Wonder
11. Wendy
12. Getcha Back (lead: David)
13. Marcella
14. Come Go With Me
15. Why Do Fools Fall In Love
16. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
17. California Saga – California (lead: Brian, Mike & Al)
18. It’s O.K.
19. Darlin’ (lead: Darian)
20. Be True To Your School
21. The Ballad of Ole’ Betsy (lead: Scott T.)   ... is the Opel that impopular amongst Germans? ... and why BMW wasn't mentioned is an eternal mystery...
22. Don’t Worry Baby (lead: Jeff)
23. Little Deuce Coupe
24. 409
25. Shut Down
26. I Get Around (23-26 performed as a medley)
27. In My Room
28. Sail On Sailor
29. Heroes And Villains
30. Good Timin’
31. All This Is That
32. Cottonfields
33. That’s Why God Made The Radio
34. California Dreamin’
35. God Only Knows (lead: Brian)
36. Sloop John B.
37. Wouldn’t It Be Nice
38. Good Vibrations
39. California Girls
40. All Summer Long
41. Help Me, Rhonda
42. Rock & Roll Music
43. Do You Wanna Dance?
44. Surfin’ U.S.A.
Encore:
45. Kokomo
46. Barbara Ann
47. Fun, Fun, Fun

Some observations.
- What I particularly liked is the fact that both the ML/BJ band and BW band have given their input for the current setlist. Songs that were performed by "only" one of the bands last year, now get a full BB-treatment. How cool is it to hear them ALL sing on songs like Marcella or California?
- I thought that Mike and Al were in particularly good voice tonight. I think Brian and Bruce had a slow start vocally, but it got better during the show. Darian NAILED Darlin’ . Very nice contributions by Scott Totten (Betsy) and David (Getcha Back) as well.
- 2 tracks from Carl & The Passions and 2 tracks from Holland…. But no Sunflower or Surf’s Up tracks… I would have loved to hear This Whole World, Add Some Music, Forever, or Disney Girls. And what happened with Isn't It Time? Is it definitely from the setlist?
- I guess it wasn't technically possible to fly over / show / perform the CW and DW tributes (God Only Knows now with BW lead, Forever not on the setlist). Would definitely have been a emotional part of the show.
- David was really into it with his guitarplaying. @ Christoph: I’m pretty sure it was Al playing the intro for Fun Fun Fun, although it was David doing the solo during the break.
- I was briefly backstage after the show, and it was my impression that a lot of the group members brought along their family. Maybe it’s also a bit of a holiday for them as well. They had to leave right away, staying the night in Brussels apparently.
- It wasn’t a sold out gig, but except from several empty spots on the tribune I thought it was pretty crowded.I don't think the capacity is even near 10.000 though.

A great time was had by all. The few raindrops at the start and end of the show couldn't spoil that at all. Overall great show. For those who still are in doubt of seeing them. Try to get tickets for the Lokerse Festival on August 7th. I've heard they play for pretty much 2 hours there as well (21:30... next performance is 23:45). And a day ticket only costs €35...

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:26:52 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 05:04:12 AM »

Pics...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 06:02:14 AM »

- It wasn’t a sold out gig
Understandable. I considered going but when I checked, the best seats that were still available were 22th row seats for over 90 euros. And if you wanted to go for a somewhat reasonable price (around 50-60 euros) you'd end up somewhere around the 60th/70th row. That's insane, just ten years ago you could go to a major three day festival for that kind of money.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:35:23 PM by shelter » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:14:24 AM »

- It wasn’t a sold out gig
Undestandable. I considered going, but when I checked the best seats that were still available were 22th row seats for over 90 euros and if you wanted to go for a somewhat reasonable price (around 50-60 euros) you'd end up somewhere around the 60th/70th row. That's insane, just ten years ago you could go to a major three day festival for that kind of money.

In that case I'd highly recommend you going to the Lokerse Festival tomorrow. A dayticket costs 35 Euro, and you probably get a 2-hour show in retrun.... no seats though, I'm affraid. Btw, I thought my 9th row tickets were worth the price I paid for them.  Smiley

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 06:50:06 AM »

Mike has his Sunday shirt on again....
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 07:33:55 AM »

In that case I'd highly recommend you going to the Lokerse Festival tomorrow. A dayticket costs 35 Euro, and you probably get a 2-hour show in retrun.... no seats though, I'm affraid. Btw, I thought my 9th row tickets were worth the price I paid for them.  Smiley

I'll be there, I got my ticket for Lokeren a few months ago. And no seats is a very good thing if you ask me! Smiley I hate having to sit down at concerts.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 07:36:18 AM »

Ah, very cool. I'm probably not going, (full agenda), but would love to read your review afterwards.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 07:37:36 AM »

I'll post one for sure.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 10:42:33 AM »

Source: http://www.wdr2.de/musik/beachboyskonzert100_ga-1_pic-2.html (plus radio report including some live snippets from the show)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 01:08:39 PM »

You nailed it.  Different continent, same Sunday night vibe...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »

You nailed it.  Different continent, same Sunday night vibe...

Hm...you mean a sunday kind of Love ?

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 02:36:17 PM »

Car Medley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKDCFsSr6z0

different angle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FSbOqAisX8

BTTYS and Boob:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt1PusP-sks

Barbara Ann:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCX2TzVsybI

Surfer girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw4hAhmKzKA

Fun Fun Fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZFbyVzBUb0

TWGMTR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo9HvkcIRNI

Cal. Girls (forget about the sound but nice look at the crowd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRBAOU0Ut0U

Don't worry baby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=140vLcA7Ty8

- Jack Rieley
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 04:27:18 PM »

Mönchengladbach was the “weakest” of the german gigs. Shortened set without intermission and the guys rushing through the set without interacting with the audience too much between songs. Dave made all mistakes gone and played awesome, but funny enough he messed up on the second verse of “Getcha Back” forgetting the words and mumbling inaudible words and then some lines that did not rhyme. I was surprised that they played “Good Timin'”. My biggest request for the german tour. You can imagine how I felt. As mentioned before Mike got in too late for “Be True To Your School”. David touched Mike once too often after helping him to get back on track again.  That confused Mike a little bit. During the whole intro Brian's eyes followed Mike without any face expression. I really wonder what was on his mind. During one song Scott Totten tuned his guitar and the sound was much less. I know I am counting most of the times the mistakes, but only because I find them interesting and funny sometimes. That's the magic of live performing. The audience was really lame, complaining about some rain drops, well after all this was an open air show. The crowd seemed bored by the non hits, especially during “All This Is That” and “Heroes And Villains”. Some went to get more beer. I really felt proud of the boys, still performing that songs, they sounded great on H&V. “Ballad Of Ol' Betsy” was, as always, a strong performance and even got some cheering every time. The car medley was celebrated as much as the cover songs. Al's ones always sounded strong and was great to sing along to. At the end we got in front of the stage it was super cool.

We had great seats, 2nd row, 4th row and again 2nd row, always in front of Mike and Al. I paid a lot for them but I would do it again, so to speak. Speaking for myself it was almost too much to concentrate on, so much was going on onstage and I especially felt in love with the backing band. I know in Mönchengladbach, where it felt like the people were asleep, some girls wondered about me, singing to every song but I was so proud of them doing some rare songs and yeah, the boys acknowledged it and I still feel like being in heaven. It was so great making eye contact with them and even Brian once looked my way. Stuttgart was the best if I had to pick one. One of my happiest days in life and the most important thing, my brother had a great time as well. He is a much, much bigger Beach Boys and Brian Wilson fanatic then me and had some harsh moments in his life, so I hope, that I could bring a SMiLE to his face and heart.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 04:39:23 PM »

It's funny to see Mike make a mistake on BTTYS. He usually does not make mistakes! I think he gets confused by the absence of the Stamos solo in the intro (BTW, it's great to hear the song without it!).

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 02:31:34 AM »

Facebook:

Band dinner in Düsseldorf

- Jack Rieley
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 10:46:24 AM »

And the last batch, enjoy!  Smiley

Please Let Me Wonder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQGufBKMAtM

When I Grow Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rld2jVL4BD4

California Saga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEcg9USo18I

It's OK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfc-kllQPq8

Darlin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRMkZ4CqSB0

Good Timin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ozOkxcDqa8

That's Why God Made The Radio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K2YCAH2ak0

God Only Knows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfgibyNgzLI

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »

R.I.M.

I had the same experience seeing them on this tour.  Too much to concentrate on, too much to catch, too much to soak in.  It was over before I knew it!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »

A story about a woman who met the Boys in '68 and attended the show:

„Beach Girl 1968“ trifft Beach Boys

http://www.express.de/duesseldorf/nach-44-jahren--beach-girl-1968--trifft-beach-boys,2858,16820588.html

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx