gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:05:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 She Believes In Love Again  (Read 8372 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 10:08:35 PM »

Hey, perhaps I'm dreaming this, but post-reunion didn't somebody on here find what we all thought was the 2012 version of "She Believes in Love Again"? It was like played in the middle of a Bruce interview or something or other. However, the interview ended up being from like 2009 or something. But regardless, it was definitely a different version. With like just Bruce and an electric piano or something. I figure with some extensive digging, we could find it again. At the moment I don't feel like digging through this board to find it. But maybe later.

Anybody else remember that?

Perplexing. Totally perplexing. Anything is possible, but it's hard to believe that a 2012 version of "She Believes In Love Again" could be an improvement after removing/substituting Carl Wilson's lead vocal, especially when Carl was singing as spectacularly as he was on The Beach Boys 1985, one of Carl's best albums vocally. And, it's also hard to believe that Bruce Johnston didn't have one single new(er) song to offer for consideration for TWGMTR, other than a re-recorded one.

I have to say that I also agree that it's doubtful that a 2012 version of "She Believes in Love Again" would be better without Carl. Especially if indeed Jeff was doing that lead instead. Yuck. However, I would happily purchase it if it ever popped up somewhere. Then again, I'm the same person who actually owns a copy of Bruce's Hot Doggers album and has listened to "The Original Surfer Stomp" like five times in past month. So perhaps I'm not the best person to ask.

Also though, I do have the second how freakin' odd it is that with a studio at his disposal and the opportunity to record whatever he wanted to submit for a new Beach Boys album, he picked a song that the group had already released 17 years ago. Now in Bruce's defense, the song was nowhere near a hit despite being a single, and I'd say I'm pretty sure that whatever reason he had for wanting to re-do it was artistic. I mean, it's not like it's Mike Love covering "Kokomo" for a Dodge dealership.

But it does bug me because it seems like Bruce must have said something around the early '90s where he was gonna record a new album called Goin' Private or something. And record it all in his own studio. Now I'm also pretty sure I remember that he said on the Hoffman board that nothing ever came of that for whatever reason. But then you have him probably in the early 2000s also saying that he was planning on writing some material for movies or other artists or something and blah blah blah. But it seems this hasn't come to pass either.

Now I'm not gonna say that this keeps me up at night or anything, but it's a shame that the guy has stopped doing anything artistically worthwhile. Now I know there'll be some goof on here saying, "well, he doesn't need to do anything! He goes on the road all the time singing super rad Beach Boys tunes and gets to see girls all the time and he's so rich and blah blah blah." But from reading up on him through the years, he does seem to be a creative guy. And he's a Beach Boy. And a Beach Boy that's written a few really nice fuckin' songs. And even if a new song or new album was as big a pile of dogshit as Goin' Public, it would at least be interesting. So it's a shame hehas  apparently ignored a major skill of his for at least two decades.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 12:00:31 AM »

Hey, perhaps I'm dreaming this, but post-reunion didn't somebody on here find what we all thought was the 2012 version of "She Believes in Love Again"? It was like played in the middle of a Bruce interview or something or other. However, the interview ended up being from like 2009 or something. But regardless, it was definitely a different version. With like just Bruce and an electric piano or something. I figure with some extensive digging, we could find it again. At the moment I don't feel like digging through this board to find it. But maybe later.

Perplexing. Totally perplexing. Anything is possible, but it's hard to believe that a 2012 version of "She Believes In Love Again" could be an improvement after removing/substituting Carl Wilson's lead vocal, especially when Carl was singing as spectacularly as he was on The Beach Boys 1985, one of Carl's best albums vocally. And, it's also hard to believe that Bruce Johnston didn't have one single new(er) song to offer for consideration for TWGMTR, other than a re-recorded one.

I have to say that I also agree that it's doubtful that a 2012 version of "She Believes in Love Again" would be better without Carl. Especially if indeed Jeff was doing that lead instead. Yuck. However, I would happily purchase it if it ever popped up somewhere. Then again, I'm the same person who actually owns a copy of Bruce's Hot Doggers album and has listened to "The Original Surfer Stomp" like five times in past month. So perhaps I'm not the best person to ask.

Also though, I do have the second how freakin' odd it is that with a studio at his disposal and the opportunity to record whatever he wanted to submit for a new Beach Boys album, he picked a song that the group had already released 17 years ago. Now in Bruce's defense, the song was nowhere near a hit despite being a single, and I'd say I'm pretty sure that whatever reason he had for wanting to re-do it was artistic. I mean, it's not like it's Mike Love covering "Kokomo" for a Dodge dealership.

But it does bug me because it seems like Bruce must have said something around the early '90s where he was gonna record a new album called Goin' Private or something. And record it all in his own studio. Now I'm also pretty sure I remember that he said on the Hoffman board that nothing ever came of that for whatever reason. But then you have him probably in the early 2000s also saying that he was planning on writing some material for movies or other artists or something and blah blah blah. But it seems this hasn't come to pass either.

Now I'm not gonna say that this keeps me up at night or anything, but it's a shame that the guy has stopped doing anything artistically worthwhile. Now I know there'll be some goof on here saying, "well, he doesn't need to do anything! He goes on the road all the time singing super rad Beach Boys tunes and gets to see girls all the time and he's so rich and blah blah blah." But from reading up on him through the years, he does seem to be a creative guy. And he's a Beach Boy. And a Beach Boy that's written a few really nice fuckin' songs. And even if a new song or new album was as big a pile of dogshit as Goin' Public, it would at least be interesting. So it's a shame hehas  apparently ignored a major skill of his for at least two decades.

When I met the Bruce-ster a couple times in 2012, I reminded him of his songwriting chops with Don't Run Away.  I told him it is perhaps the most underrated and criminally unknown BB-related tracks ever, to which he sung a line for me. Dude has massive talent when he wants to show it. Dare I say, that song (along with maybe Be With Me and All This is That) must be the non-BW songs written by other BBs which have the BW-sounding magic fairy dust all over em the most. I wish Bruce didn't underutilize his talent for songwriting though. I wonder if Mike were allowed to record under the BB name (scary thought though it may be), would he and Bruce have teamed up to write some more songs together?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:00:48 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 06:10:12 AM »

Now I'm not gonna say that this keeps me up at night or anything, but it's a shame that the guy has stopped doing anything artistically worthwhile. Now I know there'll be some goof on here saying, "well, he doesn't need to do anything! He goes on the road all the time singing super rad Beach Boys tunes and gets to see girls all the time and he's so rich and blah blah blah." But from reading up on him through the years, he does seem to be a creative guy. And he's a Beach Boy. And a Beach Boy that's written a few really nice fuckin' songs. And even if a new song or new album was as big a pile of dogshit as Goin' Public, it would at least be interesting. So it's a shame hehas  apparently ignored a major skill of his for at least two decades.

When I met the Bruce-ster a couple times in 2012, I reminded him of his songwriting chops with Don't Run Away.  I told him it is perhaps the most underrated and criminally unknown BB-related tracks ever, to which he sung a line for me. Dude has massive talent when he wants to show it. Dare I say, that song (along with maybe Be With Me and All This is That) must be the two non-BW songs written by other BBs which have the BW-sounding magic fairy dust all over em the most. I wish Bruce didn't underutilize his talent for songwriting though. I wonder if Mike were allowed to record under the BB name (scary thought though it may be), would he and Bruce have teamed up to write some more songs together?

"Don't Run Away" sure is a beauty of a song. And it's a Johnston/Love co-write. Interesting.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 08:52:49 AM »

I have never heard Don't Run Away. How can I find it?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 08:59:18 AM »

The first result on a youtube search of "Don't Run Away Bruce Johnston" is this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi93IQ7lO4A

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2015, 09:02:42 AM »

The first result on a youtube search of "Don't Run Away Bruce Johnston" is this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi93IQ7lO4A

Oh... I thought it was an unreleased BBs song.......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2015, 04:57:48 AM »

The Best of Bruce & Terry, on Sundazed. Outstanding CD.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2015, 05:59:26 AM »

I think a 2012 remake of the song would have to be an improvement on the 85 version - the production on that album was awful and ruined almost every song on it IMO. 
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2015, 06:38:06 AM »

I don't know if I'd say outstanding. But it's definitely very worthy for any Beach Boys fan. I do have to say that not being familiar with Bruce & Terry project beforehand, I expected there to be more Johnston lead vocals, and was a bit disappointed to hear a whole lot of Terry Melcher's slightly boring voice on most tracks.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2015, 08:30:41 AM »

I think a 2012 remake of the song would have to be an improvement on the 85 version - the production on that album was awful and ruined almost every song on it IMO. 

True enough (although I think "Where I Belong" and "It's Just A Matter Of Time" manage to shine through as outstanding, regardless), but I don't see how they could have done otherwise in an era where drum machines and synth overkill were the only acceptable standard for pop records. What we would consider a "normal" or "timeless" production would have likely been rejected by the record label, and sank without a trace even more than it did had it in fact been released. They kind of didn't have a choice.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2015, 09:00:23 AM »

True enough (although I think "Where I Belong" and "It's Just A Matter Of Time" manage to shine through as outstanding, regardless), but I don't see how they could have done otherwise in an era where drum machines and synth overkill were the only acceptable standard for pop records. What we would consider a "normal" or "timeless" production would have likely been rejected by the record label, and sank without a trace even more than it did had it in fact been released. They kind of didn't have a choice.
c-man ~ I really like this song.  When the thread started, I went back to listen to the various YouTube versions, including an alternate released version. (I also like the Symphonic Sounds version.)

And, I agree with what you said about the then very popular drum machines. Today, they sound sort of harsh, next to such a beautiful song.  If a "softer" more mellow live percussion was recorded and tracked into its place, alongside the vocals, with the same timing, I think it would make a great addition to any future compilation.  I'd love to hear the session vocals with Carl.  It is an amazing song.   Wink
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2015, 10:06:23 AM »

I also like the Symphonic Sounds version.

Errr....Symphonic Sounds version of what? "She Believes In Love Again"? Pretty sure there was no version of that on that album.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2015, 10:20:44 AM »

I also like the Symphonic Sounds version.

Errr....Symphonic Sounds version of what? "She Believes In Love Again"? Pretty sure there was no version of that on that album.

You're correct...My bad...must have been thinking of Disney Girls... LOL

You get one  Beer
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2015, 11:02:02 AM »

I don't know if I'd say outstanding. But it's definitely very worthy for any Beach Boys fan. I do have to say that not being familiar with Bruce & Terry project beforehand, I expected there to be more Johnston lead vocals, and was a bit disappointed to hear a whole lot of Terry Melcher's slightly boring voice on most tracks.

The Sundazed Rip Chords CDs are similarly worthy of your attention.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2015, 01:10:07 PM »

This is a very ironic statement...
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2015, 04:56:58 PM »

Touche puni.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »

Yes, we'd be dissing a 2012 version for using autotune.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx