gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681202 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 07:11:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson playing with "the best band I ever worked with."  (Read 13793 times)
KDS
« on: July 22, 2015, 12:58:12 PM »

Posted on the BW forum. 

http://www.theprovince.com/entertainment/music/Brian+Wilson+here+with+best+band+ever+worked+with/11234184/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 01:20:47 PM »

nice little article, KDS, thanks !
it is true what Brian says, Al is better than ever.  It is inexplicable.
this interview: "No More Beach Boys".

- previous, and next interview: "maybe"
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 01:46:04 PM »

". . . . . upon completion of the tour, Wilson, Jardine, Marks and Chaplin were thrown out of the band. Mike Love and Bruce Johnston, who owned the name, went back to business as usual. "

Oh, yeah, here we go again. "Thrown out of the band". Never let the facts get in the way of a juicy story.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 01:55:20 PM »

". . . . . upon completion of the tour, Wilson, Jardine, Marks and Chaplin were thrown out of the band. Mike Love and Bruce Johnston, who owned the name, went back to business as usual. "

Oh, yeah, here we go again. "Thrown out of the band". Never let the facts get in the way of a juicy story.

Not to mention the fact that Blondie wasn't on the C50 tour. 

I just wanted to see how long it took for somebody to point out the inaccuracy of a Pro-Brian article.  People destroyed the writer of the Pro-Mike article from the Observer that was posted yesterday. 

Either way, I think the article makes its point that Brian seems to be very happy with the album and tour. 

The other article seemed to show that Mike was alright with his touring. 

So, as has been pointed out before, both camps have moved on. 
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 02:11:07 PM »

As in the case of the Mike articles, no need to throw a pile of sh*t upon the others to praise the object of the article. No need for that.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 02:19:20 PM »

"So if there’s anything that sounds divisive there, well, I have nothing but awe and respect for Brian’s musical abilities, and love for him as a person, as a cousin, as a family member. Strip away all the misconceptions and the divisiveness and that’s how it is."   (Mike Love, Observer interview)

- truth
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 02:27:24 PM »

Brian will never have a better band than the one Dennis and Carl were part of.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 02:35:38 PM »

Just imagine if Mike said this.

And imagine how a quote like this makes Mike feel.

It's a real mystery why this band can't ever get along.  Roll Eyes
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 02:40:19 PM »

Falsehoods.  [and truth]  MAN!!!  If you're gonna write a story [or an article] on someone as iconic as Brian and about a group as iconic as The Beach Boys you better have your sh*t 'down'.  This poor boy doesn't either.

What I read in the truth, rather than the falsehoods, sections suggests to me that one camp is now, currently, issuing the expected platitudes and saying all the 'right' words while the other is basically saying nothing whatsoever.  At least THAT is HONEST.

It would appear that TALENTED writers are far, Far, FAR  harder to come by than fellas with computer keyboards.  One wonders what the purpose really is behind these conflicting shots across  bows.

We want to realign? 

No?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 02:55:09 PM »

Yes.  I'm surprised Brian would say otherwise.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »

Brian would say otherwise.

He is completely honest, and completely inconsistent interview to interview.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 03:13:50 PM »

There are errors, just as there were in the one about the myth of the lesser Beach Boys but as for Brian stating his band are the best, I should imagine he was talking as a musician. Brian's band can play more instruments than the original Beach Boys, though of course the Beach Boys' vocals were wonderful. Brian's current band have also been supportive of him, not always the case with all of the original Beach Boys.

I'm not surprised to note that someone has already suggested that the article's claim that there would be no more reunions was what Brian said now but not necessarily what he'd say next time. Of course, it wasn't actually stated that Brian had said it, though he did state that he didn't talk to Mike Love. Well, everyone will believe what they choose to believe.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:28:47 PM by Ang Jones » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 03:24:02 PM »

Here's something I don't think anybody has thought of...

ever thought that Brian could be comparing the *current* configuration of his solo band in comparison to the previous incarnations? If so, I would definitely agree, as having Matt on falsetto and having Al and Blondie definitely has made this solo tour sound better than any other solo tour he's ever done.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 03:32:19 PM »

I disagree Billy.  To me the SMiLE tour was better.  [Also I'm not a fan of Matt's cartoonish falsetto.]

I have a question for you [all] though.  From all of these various 'new' articles with Brian, and Mike and Bruce and Jeff and Mike... I pulled these 2 sets of quotes...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What has been promulgated is just not real," Love says. "It's annoying to me. I know my relationship with Brian — no one has been involved with Brian Wilson longer than I have. We've been together since childhood. So no one can tell me how my relationship is with Brian."

Well Michael...ONE man can.  That man is Brian Wilson...and I quote...

"There will be no more reunions.  I don’t talk to The Beach Boys,” he notes tersely. “I don’t talk to Mike Love.”

So...WHO is telling the truth?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »

Lee, we know for sure that Brian is completely honest, and completely inconsistent.

Mike is consistent and persistent.

- Aug 8 !
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 03:40:33 PM »

God forbid people's feelings change from day to day

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 03:40:37 PM »

I'm sure what Brian means, and he has said this before, is that they are the best playing band. That the original Beach Boys playing band was not perfect was recognized both by Brian in the 60s when he began hiring outside musicians and the band itself when they began to augment their stage act with many other performers. It wouldn't come as a surprise if several Beach Boys would say that say the the band played better with the additional musicians from the In Concert era (without Brian, I might add) than they did in, say, 1963.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:42:14 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 03:41:08 PM »

This guy didn't put together a particularly well-researched article either; another article that incorrectly references Mike (and Bruce in this case) "owning" the name.

This and the Observer Mike interview are both oddly relatively antagonist, snide approaches (not to their respective subjects, but to the interviewers' perceived adversaries of their subjects) to doing a piece on a subject they seem to hold in such high esteem.

And they both are not particularly well-written. Sheesh, if you wanna say Brian's band is awesome and Mike's blows (or vice versa), there are actually ways to do it without sounding like a 13-year-old.

I'd say this Brian article leans more toward the "lazy" side whereas the Observer piece was more douchey for lack of a better term to use.

Regarding the "best band I've ever worked with", I will not attempt to parse or twist it to completely deny the possibility that he specifically means his current band is better than the Beach Boys. If he feels that way, I disagree. However, I don't think he's attempting to denigrate any or all of the potential BB lineups. I think he's just saying the musicians backing him are the best he's worked with. I tend to doubt he specifically has it in his mind that this band is better than the circa 1966 vocal blend of the classic Beach Boys lineup. I think he means it's the best backing band on tour that he's worked with (and even then, it's kind of a floating, vague reference considering his backing band has rotated some folks in and out); and perhaps means that it's the best configuration (e.g having Al and Blondie along) among the solo tours he's done. Other than the BB vocal blend (meaning all five or six BB's of a given era), Brian's band is probably the best live touring backing band I've heard or seen. I think some of the 70's lineups would give it a run, that's about it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 03:42:40 PM »

Yes.  I'm surprised Brian would say otherwise.

I'm not surprised one iota.  Brian had a vision for how his songs should sound.  He wrote 'em and he arranged them.  Then he went into the studio and recorded them...PAINSTAKINGLY...until he got them exactly how he wanted them...or at least as close to it as was humanly possible at the time.  Brian spent oodles of time and money doing and redoing songs to the point where Mike called him "dogears" because Brian heard stuff no one else could hear.

Brian's band play those songs the way Brian wanted them to sound.  NO ONE else ever has.  The Carl and Dennis version was great for us.  They even modernized the tunes to an extent.  But the versions that don't sound dated...the ones which have stood the test of time...are the ones Brian Wilson performs.  The voices aren't exact...but they're usually pretty damn close and the rest is also VERY close to spot on.

The Beach Boys were only close to that in 2012.

chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »

I duno the BW band is amazing and awe inspiring... but they don't know how to "rock." Brian doesn't either. Rocking was a strictly Carl/Dennis thang.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 03:53:47 PM »

Blondie and Ricky helped out in that regard too.  I liked it.  BUT...We're talking about Brian.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 03:53:55 PM »

The BW band plays the songs closer to the studio versions like Brian wants. The BBs had to change the songs since being five guys Playing live during the glory days.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 03:57:27 PM »

I duno the BW band is amazing and awe inspiring... but they don't know how to "rock." Brian doesn't either. Rocking was a strictly Carl/Dennis thang.

Have you been to one of the current shows?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 03:58:39 PM »

The BW band plays the songs closer to the studio versions like Brian wants. The BBs had to change the songs since being five guys Playing live during the glory days.

+1. And that's not a slight against the BBs either, anymore than Brian using the Wrecking Crew as his preferred instrumental musicians (either entirely or partially) during the '60s is a slight against the Boys.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2015, 03:59:09 PM »

Have you been to one of the current shows?

Wild Honey with Blondie rocks like crazy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx